*** Official National Parks Thread ***

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Any of you ever get the chance to visit Carrizo Plains National Monument. Out east from SLO, south of HWY 49, Lost Hills. Winter, Spring, Late Fall. 60 mile long valley, North to South. The San Andreas fault runs right through it.

Painted Rock. It's a circular sandstone formation. Out in the middle of bum fvck egypt. An American Indian sacred place. Kind of like the stonehenge of North America. Worth the trip to see. 4000 years old.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Whitney lottery started 8 minutes ago. I put in 3 dates with no plans to do the summit or the clusterf*($ of the upper camping areas. $6. a Mirror lake is awesome, and you can get that or Lone Pine lake which looks like an infinity pool all to yourself while people are up at krappy Trail Camp dealing with marmots, altitude sickness and mooching stuff they forgot to bring. I'm thinking maybe hike over the ridge after the switchbacks and go down to JMW area. I want to get to Lake South America!!:cursing::D

Reactions: the janitor

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Leaving Friday for a 17 day road trip and looking forward to putting this to use.

Capitol Reef, Great Sand Dunes, Rocky Mountain, Badlands, Wind Cave and Jewel Cave (possibly - some closures still in effect), Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Theodore Roosevelt, and maybe a couple of monuments along the way depending on time.

Socal erbbers are welcome in advance for the surf that will inevitably arrive as soon as I leave. :waving:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I think my covid summer vacation plan B is start at San Ysidro and do the length
of California up to Oregon full Joad family Grapes of Wrath sleeping in the willows
style with my sons for two weeks

if anyone wants houseguests, send me a message....once we get north of SF we're
flying by the seat of our pants

JANITOR!!!!

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
I think my covid summer vacation plan B is start at San Ysidro and do the length
of California up to Oregon full Joad family Grapes of Wrath sleeping in the willows
style with my sons for two weeks

if anyone wants houseguests, send me a message....once we get north of SF we're
flying by the seat of our pants

JANITOR!!!!
PCT!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
more like PCH....

I don't think they have the moxie yet to go backcountry

at least not without me having to carry everything

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Awesome plans for both you too! I'm envious.

Family and I heading up to camp up at Hume Lake in King's Canyon in a few weeks. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: Joshua2415

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I have bases in Pismo and SF...it's everything north of that which concern me.

I think we can suss it out, though.

if you found any gems this side of the Oregon border, let me know.

I'm looking at a 3 day rafting trip on the lower Klamath as the topper

Reactions: Joshua2415

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I have bases in Pismo and SF...it's everything north of that which concern me.

I think we can suss it out, though.

if you found any gems this side of the Oregon border, let me know.

I'm looking at a 3 day rafting trip on the lower Klamath as the topper
We camped a couple nights in crescent city, home of Greg noll. Just a few miles south, there was a ride on the old 101. It's a double track now, overgrown w blackberries and ferns. I think I searched for best MTB trails and it popped up.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
After 17 days and 4,247 miles on the road, we made it home Sunday night. While it was mostly good weather, we little to a lot of rain off and on throughout the trip. Lots of thunderstorms in the midwest this time of year. Most of the really bad rain was while we were driving but we had our share at camp as well. We visited 8 national parks and monuments/historical sites. Lots of hiking, biking, tubing on creeks & rivers, floating/swimming in lakes and offroading. All in all, we had an amazing trip.

Capitol Reef NP

Mormon registry carved in a canyon wall from Sept. 24, 1911

Great Sand Dunes NP

The sand was too wet to really go out and enjoy being on the dunes.

Rocky Mountain NP

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
We then made it up to Custer State Park and stayed there for 5 nights while venturing out to nearby national parks and monuments.

Sylvan lake at Custer SP

Mount Rushmore NM

Devil's Tower NM

Saw some climbers up there as well.

Drove out to the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site

Badlands NP

Wind Cave NP and Jewel Cave NP were open to drive through but the caves were closed.

Spent a day in Grand Tetons just because we were staying just outside of Jackson Hole for a couple nights.

Last edited:

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
A couple other stops in Deadwood and Bonneville Salt Flats.
Street was lined with motorcycles for bike week.

Some classics at Bonneville.

and more modern...

Reactions: Kento