Hand Kite Foiling

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Yesterday took the wing out in the largest surf to date. Uppers Kanaha and Tidys was solid 6ft (HI) and Christian and I were the only wingers out there, was mostly kite and windsurfers. Didn't get much surf on video as it was pumping when we first went out and I didn't want to be distracted by trying to record.

First went out on the M200 foil (wind was lighter at first then went strong) and was way too slow to keep up so went back in and changed out to the GL140.

Also, this was the first time I flew with Christian, now I know to be ready when tracking him with the camera as he tends to...well you'll see in the video.

Enjoy...

Reactions: Topmick

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I would think that's one of the advantages for wing vs kite. In kiting it's a no-no to go out in offshores, if something goes wrong, you pretty much have to abandon your kite and swim in. But with wing, you should be able to paddle back in, with wing either luffing behind or deflate and pack it up. Even moreso in surf, you could just ride a wave back in.

For wave riding, seems it would be the ultimate, as you could ride straight downwind, then turn into a wave and the wing would float behind you. Make sense? Or am I missing something? Just hypothesizing here.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I would think that's one of the advantages for wing vs kite. In kiting it's a no-no to go out in offshores, if something goes wrong, you pretty much have to abandon your kite and swim in. But with wing, you should be able to paddle back in, with wing either luffing behind or deflate and pack it up. Even moreso in surf, you could just ride a wave back in.

For wave riding, seems it would be the ultimate, as you could ride straight downwind, then turn into a wave and the wing would float behind you. Make sense? Or am I missing something? Just hypothesizing here.
That’s what I was thinking...I wouldn’t really care about paddling 1000-1500m if sh!t got inconvenient.
seems like the upwind ability is pretty solid too...

Last edited:

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
the offshores.in maalaea or.kihei are friken DEADLY...the venturi througjt there nukes 35 to 40 kts regulary...cant paddle against it no way no how....it yoi get blown out to sea youll end.up on kahoolawe till.night fall and.have to.paddle back 20 miles.in the dark...if you miss the island next stop...nothing

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
the offshores.in maalaea or.kihei are friken DEADLY...the venturi througjt there nukes 35 to 40 kts regulary...cant paddle against it no way no how....it yoi get blown out to sea youll end.up on kahoolawe till.night fall and.have to.paddle back 20 miles.in the dark...if you miss the island next stop...nothing
I wasn't suggesting doing this in 40kts! What I was envisioning was kona days at Kanaha. Say 15-20kts. Long slopey walls, not breaking heavy, foil paradise.

I have a friend who was ripping it up on his kite on a kona, he was one of the only ones out, friends with the lifeguards so he can get a pickup should anything go wrong. ;-)

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I finally got my sh!t together last night with the wing. It has been making me its bitch for weeks.

Long heelside runs, a bit of upwind, some downwind swell runs, some depowered surfing, couple of tacks that floundered after flying away toeside a bit..toeside launches. Relief washes over me like an awesome wave.

Im thinking about an M200 or 280 used so I can get it flying in low wind. It’s very cool and addictive now it’s becoming productiv.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hey Kaser or anyone that’s ridden GF stuff...

What’re your thoughts on an M280 for wind wanging?

i might be able to pick one up cheap....maybe a 200 too. Ive been having some very fun fast flights on the 210 but I need an honest 20kts or some dw swell to fly it with a 4m Ozone. We keep getting “not quite” wind days and other guys are launching 4m kites but I’m having a hard time

Couple of days ago I took out a 200 and definitely got it flying at a lower range maybe 15kts. It felt blimpy and disgusting, but less disgusting than sailing around like the Kontiki. That got me thinking, I could really get up in super light shite with the 280....

Im just trying to decide between a 6m wing or bigger foils for light wind...

Reactions: Kaser1

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Hey Kaser or anyone that’s ridden GF stuff...

What’re your thoughts on an M280 for wind wanging?

i might be able to pick one up cheap....maybe a 200 too. Ive been having some very fun fast flights on the 210 but I need an honest 20kts or some dw swell to fly it with a 4m Ozone. We keep getting “not quite” wind days and other guys are launching 4m kites but I’m having a hard time

Couple of days ago I took out a 200 and definitely got it flying at a lower range maybe 15kts. It felt blimpy and disgusting, but less disgusting than sailing around like the Kontiki. That got me thinking, I could really get up in super light shite with the 280....

Im just trying to decide between a 6m wing or bigger foils for light wind...
If it were me, and i'm running into many "almost" wind days, I'd get the 6m kite. You can keep your GL210 and go fast in light wind instead of getting a 280 or 200 and being slow and lumbering.

I've recently moved over to my GL180 in med-lighter days from my 200 or Iwa. The speed difference is significant, and the issue I thought i was having i figured out. My complaint with the HA GL was the low end pull out of the water the wing would stall. It was due to the fact i was pumping the board too much. Little taps and pulling in back hand of the kite less agressively and with more finess solved that.

Just food for thought, I get the sense that most companies are going to be coming out with gen 2 kites in 2020 so expect to see used gear going for cheap real soon. I'm already seeing stuff hitting CL here on Maui.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Thanks, that’s what i needed to hear.
After a few more sessions on the 200, I really don’t like it. I had a go on the Iwa yesterday and it felt a lot better.
A bigger kite will give me more power to play with though.

Reactions: Kaser1

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Ghetto boom, just for the feelz.

Pretty solid, it’s pvc conduit with 50mm webbing pulled through...looped around the front power handle. Plus bag ties lol.

i had a good wing yesterday in 20kts, I’m thinking the baton twirn style gibe and tack might be quicker for me.

get some frothers!

5109EF06-26C6-42E6-A6EA-2DF8FF1E7E06.jpeg63448315-5610-4D32-8C77-4315A439E66D.jpeg52A673B3-F24C-4B69-B06A-2AAF5C91B39C.jpeg

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I've been meaning to try the wing with a skateboard for weeks, tried it yesterday before a surf session in the parking lot. You get going pretty good with just alittle wind. My friend caught it on camera, doesn't show much but what was funny was the chickens and roosters freak the F out when I'm buzzing around. They would go running away from me like I was some predator flying after them, was hilarious.

http://instagr.am/p/B6Z6NrwlJ0d/

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Ghetto boom, just for the feelz.

Pretty solid, it’s pvc conduit with 50mm webbing pulled through...looped around the front power handle. Plus bag ties lol.

i had a good wing yesterday in 20kts, I’m thinking the baton twirn style gibe and tack might be quicker for me.

get some frothers!

View attachment 83837View attachment 83838View attachment 83839
The boom was good, straight up started doing toeside starts and flying gibes. It has made the wing more powerful and easier to manage overall.

the PVC is somewhat flexible and flogs out after a few sessions. Last sesh I did I high speed hang glider and buckled it.

I just got some carbon tube from a friend so that should feel even better. Home made tether for the harness too, as my “reacharound “ arm on my toeside is completely baked in the shoulder region.

53C2A659-0349-498D-A9AF-3C562D0A7E60.jpeg53B2AA7D-7F79-405D-B846-FF9F6BD35791.jpeg

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Well gave the 4'8/36L proner a shot with the wing yesterday. No straps, was a challenge to say the least. After 4 or 5 tries I managed to get it going. Used the M200 front and large pedistal tail. Needed some 20+MPH wind to pull you up out of the water. I flew on foil for about 45 minutes then took a break. Went back out to lighter wind and couldn't get it going.

Paying the price today, my hips are pretty sore due to the squatting trying to get it going.

IMG_20191228_130052.jpg