Hand Kite Foiling

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Yeww! Makin' it work. The word on the street is that the F-One and ozone wings have better low-end than other brands (the comparison was made specifically with Gong, which is what I have; I am betting their new Pro model will copy whatever magic F-One and Ozone have done)

For wind meters, something to keep in mind is that the wind on the beach is often/usually less than the wind on the water. It is pretty classic in kiting for people to claim they are kiting in 5kts, with wind meter pics to prove it, then their riding photos show light caps on the water (10+).

Anyways, it's fun to see the surfing no-wind community branch into some wind chasing. I started kiting 8 years ago, after 15 years or so of surfing, and it's been a life-changer ... opens up so many more fun days. I have gone back to my trip journals and read about places where it was blown out day after day, insanely frustrating at the time, and now....WOW EPIC! Half my surfer friends still hate wind, as well as my wife ... I keep working on them. I am hopeful that the wing may bridge the gap with my wife, as she's intimidated by the kite lines and the potential danger, but wing is so simple and straightforward -- even just for standing on a sup surface riding. Future travels will be a lot more fun for everyone if she enjoys windy spots too. :)

I had the bright idea to leave the foil in the van and take out the 8'4 SUP and try surf this morning, what a waste of time. I had no sea legs, could barely paddle out. Ended up getting 2 waves, paddled in, put the foil on, and proceeded to have waaay more fun.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Had the opportunity to try a 5m F One this evening. Wind was super light, couldn't get it up with my 4.2 and was out teaching a buddy of mine that has the 5m. After a few times out and back practicing hand/arm positions and just slowly getting pulled along, it was getting dark and he offered to let me take it out for a quick run. I'd not used at 5m and WOW. I was impressed how well it flew in such light wind that had to be 10mph. I was on my big foil M200.

Now thinking of getting a 5m , as it's pretty nice going out in light wind, ocean isn't as lumpy, etc.. very tranquil, hardly anyone else out either.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
a bigger guy our here in socal got the gong7m...he said its a big SOB but playing with adequate power is so.much.FUN...kinda like screwing aroung the supercross track on a CR500...not going really fast but just crawling up to the jumps and seat bouncing everything....BRAAAAAP!

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I suspect that's the gong 7m, which I just got but haven't used yet. Does look pretty big! I am hopeful it will open up light wind possibilities below what a 5m can do.

Does look lame, would be way more fun to be ripping on that 10m kite. But learning to surf also looks pretty lame, while a pro on the same gear on the same day can make it look amazing.

For me it's about expanded capabilities. I already kite and surf foil. I am hopeful there will be some middle ground days where it's not quite windy enough to kite well in the waves, where this will give an advantage...surf foil on steroids. The kanaha reports are exactly what I envision....sounds rad.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
i saw tnat on YouTube today...you still using the gopro sessions right?...pretty good not too bouncy atall....geeees if you get a hero 7 black that video will be drone quality...cool!

Reactions: Kaser1

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
i saw tnat on YouTube today...you still using the gopro sessions right?...pretty good not too bouncy atall....geeees if you get a hero 7 black that video will be drone quality...cool!
gosh I hope santa brings me the Hero8 this year. these vids would be mental!

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
oh yea, session 5 but the IS on the new ones would fit this action well