Hand Kite Foiling

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I got my Gong 6m Superpower today. Sorry didn’t ride so a lame review but I pumped it up and hit the beach with my almost 4yo boy. 12kts. The thing is a fkn beast, so much grunt. This’ll be a bit of a game changer as the wind today was in the unfortunately common range that makes me look at the 4m ozone and say ”nahhhh”.

Nicely made, real stiff, kinda heavy...has battens. Not the convenience of the super light ozone or Fone but good for combat me think. Will advise.

Reactions: Hdip

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I got out on the weekend for first winging of the almost-spring. Up and down wind, 10-25kts, trading between ozone 4m and gong 7m. With enough wind, sure is nice and steady on regular foot reach. Goofy foot reach is still quite awkward, especially if under powered. Looking forward to dialing this in with the thermal winds coming ... project is to be competent and ready for surf attempts again in the Fall. Or maybe Maui xmas 2020, if we can travel by then. ;-)

Clamsmasha, send your report once you get it on the water.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
First session able to stay upwind, finish where I started, yewww. Being over powered is a drag, but so much better than being under powered. It's easy when you're lit up.

I find it a lot harder on the body than kiting, but that may just be new unused muscles, plus the death-grip full-body-tension learning stage...attempting to overpower the wind. Wind play is about dancing with it, or jiu jitsu using its power to your advantage ... something like that. Hopefully once I learn economies of motion, it'll be easier.

I can hardly wait to start attempting turns, especially downwind with the wind waves.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Being lit is the sh1t.

I’ve had one sesh on the Superpower 6m, this is a flukey time for wind....so I’ll give a mini review.

The wing is well made, the finish isn’t quite up to Ozone specs but I think that has to do with some heavier material being used. It‘s fairly heavy in comparison, but it has windows, battens and a low aspect design with very thick leading edge.... There is a lot more structure than the 4m swap. The handles are very stiff compared to the Ozone, big improvement there. The single outflow pipe from the centre strut though is basically the same as the Ozone.... With probably %40 more air to remove...Painful!

I took it out in maybe 12-15 kts. That's a range that sucks for me on the 4m. It was great, pulled like an ox and was very good at staying aloft and adequately powered when the wind dropped right off.... Must've dropped down to 10kts at times. That was awesome toeside especially as you can head further upwind in a light breeze.

It's extremely stiff and stable. It just sits there like a big fat eagle when you depower. The weight of it makes for very easy handwork when gybing,...it has its own inertia, so you can spin it overhead like pizza dough and just know where it will be without having to look up.

It needs a longer leash, the Ozone one which I love just doesn't allow you to handle it when it's laying the wrong way on water. Easy fix.

It's slower than the 4m when you're at the optimal upwind angle. Thiccccc wing sectv..

Love it, nice addition to the quiv.

Reactions: Kaser1

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Being lit is the sh1t.

I’ve had one sesh on the Superpower 6m, this is a flukey time for wind....so I’ll give a mini review.

The wing is well made, the finish isn’t quite up to Ozone specs but I think that has to do with some heavier material being used. It‘s fairly heavy in comparison, but it has windows, battens and a low aspect design with very thick leading edge.... There is a lot more structure than the 4m swap. The handles are very stiff compared to the Ozone, big improvement there. The single outflow pipe from the centre strut though is basically the same as the Ozone.... With probably %40 more air to remove...Painful!

I took it out in maybe 12-15 kts. That's a range that sucks for me on the 4m. It was great, pulled like an ox and was very good at staying aloft and adequately powered when the wind dropped right off.... Must've dropped down to 10kts at times. That was awesome toeside especially as you can head further upwind in a light breeze.

It's extremely stiff and stable. It just sits there like a big fat eagle when you depower. The weight of it makes for very easy handwork when gybing,...it has its own inertia, so you can spin it overhead like pizza dough and just know where it will be without having to look up.

It needs a longer leash, the Ozone one which I love just doesn't allow you to handle it when it's laying the wrong way on water. Easy fix.

It's slower than the 4m when you're at the optimal upwind angle. Thiccccc wing sectv..

Thanks for the review. We don't have many light wind days here, but when we do I wish I had a 6m. But thats just the windy side of Maui. Plenty of 10-12kt wind days on the leeward side of the island would be nice to go cruize.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
It's actually really nice to be at the beach and not get shredded by 20+kt wind. I swear I was losing my hearing from walking back upwind this summer.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Breakthrough session, for me and buddy, both at same level. Rode little wind swell waves for the first time with wing luffed. Also rode toeside, which it turns out is the key to doing gybes, was able to do about 5 linked turns in a row on one pass, each time dropping back into tiny windswells. The 1000 hours of sup foiling is paying off with some muscle memory! Stoked, this is legit, going to be RAD in some real surf eventually.

Only negative: feeling it in my elbows, that persistent baclground tendonitis from sup and kiting. Going to have to dig out the old exercises and get ahead of it. Also thinking I'll rig up a simple harness rope for long reaches.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Did you ever get the 5.0 Kaser? I just priced the 5.0 at a few e-shops. I'm almost ready to break down. Seems like the perfect way to get away from the crowd when this lockdown finally breaks.

It seems like the 6.0 while better for light wind might be a bit to unwieldy to start. Better to get the 5.0 and pick my days to go out on.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Did you ever get the 5.0 Kaser? I just priced the 5.0 at a few e-shops. I'm almost ready to break down. Seems like the perfect way to get away from the crowd when this lockdown finally breaks.

It seems like the 6.0 while better for light wind might be a bit to unwieldy to start. Better to get the 5.0 and pick my days to go out on.
I'm no pro, but I can tell you at the early stages it is much nicer to be a little over-powered -- under-powered really sucks, like not being quite able to foil but with also holding up a huge wing. I think you're in SoCal ... in kiting circles, that is known as a place where you primarily need light-wind gear. EG most of the kiting world, people don't own a 17m, but that may be a go-to there. In fact, now that I think of it, I bought my ozone 4m from someone down there who had moved on to a Gong 7m.

For me, bigger is better, because it's those 12-15kt days that are most attractive. The waves are still relatively clean, it's not victory-at-sea, you can still easily stand on the board. So the 7m wing is ideal. Maybe even the 9m! But a difference for me is that once it is 20kt+ I will more likely kitesurf, so high-wind small wings are less crucial.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Surprise 25kt wind on a no-call day. First time lit up on 4m wasp. Challenging at first to stand and start, ended up way downwind, super stoked to make it up in one tack...functionality, sweet. Nothing too fancy today, not able to nail gybes, but did ride a few swells. Higher wind and bigger waves, my big Maliko 200 is too much wing, also the 24" mast isn't enough clearance. Learning is fun. Once again nice to salt water rinse off the stress and weirdness of another covid week.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine

Didn't get the 5.0, work got weird for a minute so I held off any new purchases.

Actually thinking of getting a 6.0 . We have some 8-12 knot days that I'd really like to get on that nobody is out and would be fun. Too bumpy for surfers and not enough wind for most wingers. I think it'd be a good sweet spot to go adventure.

My buddy just got the new 2020 Naish 5.3 that he's offered for me to try. Looking forward to comparing new tech to the old F-One. I can post up a review, our wind has gone flat for about a week but may come back Sunday.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Being lit is the sh1t.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Curiosity got the best of me and I went ahead and got the 6m Ozone.
92686018_10163169888340005_4901592350947540992_o.jpg

Seeing the potential for some new spots to ride I went ahead and picked one up from Alex, he had a few extras he ordered a while back.

First impressions of the Ozone 6m compared to my F One 4.2m

Physical Size- didn't seem to be huge as I was expecting. The wingtips hitting the water weren't something I was having to manage as much as I thought. Felt like it had as much room to water surface as my F One.

Handles- the Ozone has handles up the whole center strut and 2 diagonal off strut to leading edge. The F One only has 2 handles for back hand and one front. The diagonals you actually use alot. You get more power as apposed to the center front handle. Also the handles on the Ozone are wider in the hand than the F One. Not sure yet if it's better yet, I did notice that you could roll the handle under knuckles or have grip more open that may cut down on fatigue. The F One you really only had one position that after long sessions left you felt like your hand would freeze in the claw position

Power- WOW! And I'm not a "wind sport" guy that has a long history of kiting or windsurfing..the 6m is nuts. I've only tried a 5m F One for a short 15 minutes a few months ago was pretty cool. After only being on the 4.2 since September, you know the wind range it'll get going in. It has to be at least blowing 15 to not have to struggle to stay up. Before I went out yesterday I took a wind reading from the beach and it was 10-12 and steady.

This is the range chart for reference...

The fact that you can get up in wind that light with the wing and stay up without struggling/pumping is a whole new feeling that is so cool. There are plenty spots leeward side of Maui that have those wind ranges almost daily during normal trades blowing on the windward side. The reason I point that out, I can go wing south facing spots during the summer swell season with no other wingers and little/no surfers. It'll be wide open, and if it's a solid south swell, there are outer reef spots that I've seen stand up the swell and run lumps towards the beach pretty far out. Also, I've seen plenty of 10-12knt days on the northside too that are good wing/surf days but just cant get the 4m to get going.

Speed- almost didn't mention this but might as well. I need to find my GPS tracker and get some readings. I had a couple runs where I was leaned over about at a 45' to the water and moving at a pretty good clip. I could feel the tip of my GL180 breaching and had to really stand on the front foot to keep the pitch level. Going that fast, in that light of wind was nuts.

In conclusion for those trying to figure out size for your local conditions, best to be over powered than under for sure. Glad I went with the 6m instead of the 5m. I didn't want that close of an overlap to my 4.2. Don't get too hung up on whether one brand is better than the other, I ride with friends that use Ozone, F One, Duotone, Naish, etc.. and they're all having fun and no complaints (other than first gen Naish were not that great). I think all have figured out what works and now I'd really compare price at this point, IMO.

PS- I have a friend that just got the new 2020 Naish 6m he wants me to try and give feedback, so I'll have another review coming soon.

Reactions: Hdip

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah kaser. Sounds awesome. Those Y straps on the Wasp are supposed to be great for setting the angle of the wing. Pretty smart design it looks like to me. I have a Duotone 5m coming tomorrow if Fed Ex tracking is to be believed. Only have my 4'8" prone though and the ocean is "closed" through May 15th here. I wanted the Fone, but the used price on this was to good to pass up.

I figure I'll go to some abandoned commercial parking lots with a skateboard and try to figure it out. Then wait for a super windy day before I try it in the ocean. Pretty excited. I'll keep an eye out for a true wing board in that time too.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
great review kaser. Agree wholeheartedly about the overpower vs underpower thing....better to have to spill off excess power rather than frantically pumping to get up. My 51yr old arms can manage about 10 minutes of that, then this wingding is just too heavy to hold up. Man o man am I jealous of the wind/wave spot potential you have on a small island in the middle of the ocean. Kinda like new zealand, in a 2 hour drive it's always windy / wavey somewhere from any given direction. Here on vancouver island we're spot starved and limited swell window. Ah well, we have other benefits.

Hdip: will be stoked to hear your progression! I think your 4.8 will be really challenging, especially if you don't have hooks/straps. If I was you, I'd be looking to borrow someone's sup foil at least for first 5-10 learning sessions. But maybe you might consider some stick-on straps, if not put in some strap plugs. I haven't tried with straps yet, but I am looking forward to finishing my new DIY surf foil (5.0), i put in some inserts for foot hooks, will be interesting to see how it is with wing. I am quite sure water starts will require lots of wind (just like windsurfing, need that pop to get up). Also, regular foot will be a lot easier than goofy ... that's a challenge with winging for surfers, have to learn to ride wrong foot forward...which is awkward enough on the water surface, but way more variables to figure out up on foil!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah Juan, I'm not sure how it's going to go on a sinker board. All those years of having "board standing contests" with my brother while waiting for sets might finally pay off. We would go to hands out of the water to make it more challenging as if I kept my hands in the water I can stand on my submerged shortboard forever.

I was able to kite strapless on my surfboards so I'm hoping I have a bit of an idea how to do this thing. We'll see how it goes. If I never find a board I'll have to drag steamroller to a beach and we'll trade off while we learn. I know he wants a hand wing too.

Kaser another question. How do you compare the Fone vs the Wasp when wave riding. The Fone is supposed to be the lightest and just luff behind you perfectly. Does the Wasp stay well behaved the same way?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Yeah kaser. Sounds awesome. Those Y straps on the Wasp are supposed to be great for setting the angle of the wing. Pretty smart design it looks like to me. I have a Duotone 5m coming tomorrow if Fed Ex tracking is to be believed. Only have my 4'8" prone though and the ocean is "closed" through May 15th here. I wanted the Fone, but the used price on this was to good to pass up.

I figure I'll go to some abandoned commercial parking lots with a skateboard and try to figure it out. Then wait for a super windy day before I try it in the ocean. Pretty excited. I'll keep an eye out for a true wing board in that time too.
Went out yesterday again for 2 hours almost non stop. Figuring out the strap/hand position alittle better. The Y up front is excellent for getting going. I think it helps grab more air and it just grunts you outa the water easier.

I also learned that having a hand on the Y and doing airs isn't a good idea, best to keep your front hand on a middle strut handle. It tends to pull the wing and not keep it level. The hang time with the 6m is pretty fun though, can stay up noticeably longer than then 4m.

I tried winging with my prone 4'8 a few months back, wasn't fun. I spent more time trying to get out of the water than I cared for. On many attempts, was only able to get going 2xs in pretty good wind. I'm sure over time it would have become easier, but my hips were shot the next day. I'd say straps would help steady the board underwater, which I didn't have. The board I was using was 34L.