Hamstring injury that won't go away

NorthOC75

OTF status
Feb 5, 2010
I've had a hamstring injury, both legs, since November. I can't surf more than a couple waves before it flares up. I haven't surfed in 6 months because I don't want to reinjure it. I went to physical therapy for a while but it was getting expensive and time consuming driving across town. Instead, I started doing the exercises they recommended on my own. I even bought one of those percussive massagers to break up scar tissue. But the issue is still not fixed. I did a short sprint the other day and got a flare up in return. Now six months into this injury and feel like I'm back to square one.

Anyone have any experience with an injury like this? I'm DYING to go surf and need to get this injury fixed.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Re-injury of the hamstrings is common. Rest, daily stretching (but don't be nuts and try to over do it, just stretch to the vague sensation of tightness and leave it at that, don't push it!), gentle massage, alternate ice/heat when it flares up and hope for the best. It can take several months and even a year or 2 in some cases.