Hacienda Iguana May 1 to 15

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Had a moment of disassociation from reality. Charter jet flights to the little airport outside iguana are around 60k LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Biz class at 900 r/t on avianaca is fine. Van ride to Iguana. Commence surf/yoga vacation. mix in a few remote work days during the 2 weeks. Testing is far easier than I assumed, both directions. Rent an SUV for day trips on flat days, visit SJDS (wife never been there, and I haven’t been in 18 years appx.) and of course a visit to see flying raptors new pad, and have a nice lunch on the beach. Maybe a day trip to Granada.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Had a moment of disassociation from reality. Charter jet flights to the little airport outside iguana are around 60k LOL.
Bummer. Was looking forward to FOMO'ing over your influencer style private jet shots. Guess you will have to settle for holding a toilet seat in between your head and your TV to get that money shot.

$900 for bizclass is a no brainer. I've noticed that it's pretty easy to book biz class seats with miles or a reasonable cash price to and within the Americas. Seems that there aren't very many actual business travelers, and those who fly to visit families are more value oriented.

Paying only a 1.5-2x markup for business class to Asia? Highly unlikely with all of the actual business travelers who's companies shell out $5-8k+.

• Haha
Reactions: sizzld1 and Subway

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Biz class at 900 r/t on avianaca is fine. Van ride to Iguana. Commence surf/yoga vacation. mix in a few remote work days during the 2 weeks. Testing is far easier than I assumed, both directions. Rent an SUV for day trips on flat days, visit SJDS (wife never been there, and I haven’t been in 18 years appx.) and of course a visit to see flying raptors new pad, and have a nice lunch on the beach. Maybe a day trip to Granada.
Stoked for you. Can't wait to see your posts from down there.

Reactions: Subway

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
damn that sounds like a rad trip. good on ya!!!

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Couple of hurdles. Nothing we can’t handle. But still, funk a bunch of covid and it’s variants

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Couple of hurdles. Nothing we can’t handle. But still, funk a bunch of covid and it’s variants
Subway - inquiring minds want to know ... how was travel from NY to MGA, and from MGA to HI? Any issues future travelers should consider or be aware of? Did Avianca process your PCR results smoothly or did you have some stress? I heard that was a bit of an issue last Fall.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
RG nailed it. But my wife and our friend are on an 8 am direct flight to Liberia tomorrow, biz class on American courtesy of subway miles, and should be here mid day. That’s really the way to go. I got lucky, my PCR test was accepted without a hitch, but avianca biz class sucks, stopping for an hour in El Salvador is stupid, etc. but when we booked, we were using the best intel we had at the time. And there is constant chatter about Nicaragua closing the land border from CR so we thought we were avoiding that pitfall

Reactions: keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
“Well, we’ve already paid for the house, and rental SUV, and the first two days will have the best surf of the week, we’ll get you down here don’t worry”

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
avianca biz class sucks, stopping for an hour in El Salvador is stupid, etc. but when we booked, we were using the best intel we had at the time. And there is constant chatter about Nicaragua closing the land border from CR so we thought we were avoiding that pitfall
Sorry for adding to that bad intel Subway.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Haha was it you? we Cool. It very easily could have gone differently in many ways. Hindsight is 2020 but we could have just stuck with our original flights on American. But even the AA service rep, when I was canceling the tickets, said it was a smart move, that AA was indeed cancelling a lot of flights. Got all my miles and taxes refunded. Getting cash back for my wife’s flight from Avianca will be another matter lol

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Cool, thanks. That's the same problem I heard about from last Fall (one person didn't get the Avianca clearance, but the rest of the group did). I was hoping they figured their crap out. Avianca was the only good option for me too (out of LA), so hopefully it will work out for my group of 3 in June.