Guys riding Wavestorms at the better spots, why do you do it?

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Soft top riders are mostly people who are trying to be cool or theyre mediocre surfers who are pulling the "oh im just having fun" as a coping mechanism. We are all out there to have fun, not just the soft top guys. Thankfully no one rides them at my local spots.
cue music from the twilightzone.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think that’s a big one. They won’t ever feel vulnerable if they just say “ I’m cruising brahhhhh. Soft top fun. Don’t be sooo Aggro”
The “I’m just cruising“ crowd rides hardboards, wear Patagonia wetsuits that they don’t pay for, show up with five in a car and completely ruin your day, all the while telling you “the ocean is for everyone, bro.”

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Hahaha. If solo donkeys or in a pack come to Bowls with bad manners it’s their day that will get ruined.

A lot of the Patagonia staff on Oahu, in town and Haleiwa are long time surfers that know how to act in a Hawaii lineup. Even the brand ambassadors that are from here are well behaved and respected.

Too bad that’s not true at Patagonia’s home base in Duffys neck of the woods. At least according to him.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
What are the better spots you’re talking about? Name names.

(asking so I know not to show up with my softie to surf with a bunch of hardons in So Cali)

I’m with my compadre Pico on this. No matter what you ride you’re either in the way or you’re not.

Reactions: Joshua2415

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Hahaha. If solo donkeys or in a pack come to Bowls with bad manners it’s their day that will get ruined.

A lot of the Patagonia staff on Oahu, in town and Haleiwa are long time surfers that know how to act in a Hawaii lineup. Even the brand ambassadors that are from here are well behaved and respected.

Too bad that’s not true at Patagonia’s home base in Duffys neck of the woods. At least according to him.
We don’t get to beat people up on da mainland.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
BTW, dgaf what anyone rides, if you rip on it you rip and if you rip on it you're likely not putting other people in precarious situations.

Everyone out there is looking to have fun, going home in wheelchair due to someone else's surfboard is generally not in the plans, that's all.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I don’t see any softies in the way. You didn’t name the spots either. Do you really think that there are places in your current zone that weren’t well known before you were born? Name names means name names. Out the spots. I’d like to know where I wouldn’t be welcome on a softie. Like where you and your ilk would dis me to the extreme that I would be forced to leave.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Soft top riders are mostly people who are trying to be cool or theyre mediocre surfers who are pulling the "oh im just having fun" as a coping mechanism. We are all out there to have fun, not just the soft top guys. Thankfully no one rides them at my local spots.
I have soft tops mainly for the purpose of pulling into stupid shorebreak barrels where I don't want to risk breaking a real board. I am a mediocre surfer though. And oh man have I gotten the sh!t kicked out of me by hollow, backless dumpers just about every time I've tried it.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Jamie and Kalani are being paid to ride and promote them, Mick Fanning too. Big difference. They are in the top 1% of surfing talent around the world. Do you think they got that good besides their natural abilities riding soft tops?

thry are getting paid because they were riding them before and got good on them. Cant speak for Kalani but JOB used to buy em from costco like everyone else. Not condoning riding them - but he was riding them before any one gave him a penny to do so.