Guys riding Wavestorms at the better spots, why do you do it?

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
If you have decent surfing ability but you choose to ride wavestorm in barreling surf, there's something wrong with you.

Beginners are forgiven, like Tristan said, lesson learned.

I champion riding whatever you bring but sheesh, time and place for everything...
Right....just don't be a dick about it

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Ive surfed it on one.

Had two normal boards. Broke both. Grabbed the Storm (which lived on my ladder rack).

When you ride those things in real surf the flex properties do some amazing sh!t.

Fun as hell.
I asked this guy why he was riding that when he was such a good surfer. He said when he breaks them he takes it right back to Costco and gets a new one.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Guys who can surf. Big crowd spots. Dings.

Get a fvcking Wavestorm. Bump rails with all of the cheesers. Surf like you own it. Rinse it off and repeat.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
i like softies.
One just bonked my cheek but good.
no pasa nada.
a hardboard would've busted up my face.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My generation the pecking order in the lineup was based on ability and respect. To me, that's how it should be.
I have very little respect for most pros, who make their money pimping out surfing and exploiting once great surf spots for their own financial gain (then complain about crowds and getting burned by kooks on soft tops).

The random local hammer swinger who surfs good, doesn’t post pics of himself surfing on IG and surfs to just surf... That‘s the guy (or girl) that gets my respect.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Guys who can surf. Big crowd spots. Dings.

Get a fvcking Wavestorm. Bump rails with all of the cheesers. Surf like you own it. Rinse it off and repeat.
Ride a shitty foam board so you don't get dings, makes sense lol.

Can you kneeboard a Wavestorm? If so, whoa. Respect.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
listen up people...

I live in San Diego and it's usually small and crowded. I'm also middle-aged and don't give a fvck.

Having said that, I am the most polite dude you will ever surf with. I will hoot strangers into waves, strike up a quick convo between sets. If I see someone paddling for a wave... it's their's. I know and respect the rules of rotation.

I also own a few soft tops. I may even surf better than you. Maybe not. Doesn't matter. Nobody has ever given me sh!t when I paddle out on a foamie. This isn't about Wavestorms... yeah, the Catch Surf and INT boards are cool... but have you felt up the new Channel Islands and Almond soft tops? Proper rails and loads of fun.

Bottom line - life is short, don't be a dick and don't fight the fun.

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I'm also middle-aged and don't give a fvck.
I may even surf better than you.
Love it.

Last time I yelled at a guy on a soft top for f*cking up the rotation at Bowls I told him I’m old and fat and surf circles around you but you want to grab every bump that rolls in. F*ck that. I’m going to burn you on every wave and if I don’t all my friends are going to.

He paddled away. I turned to look at the lineup, my friends were laughing some randoms were shocked, I threw my hands up in the air and said you’re welcome. I’m such a dick at Bowls. Hahaha.

Last edited:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Kook on kook fuckery at a shitty break is one thing. This guy wasn't even really a kook per se. He clearly had the basics down. Just an asshole on an extra floaty foamy being a dick where he clearly didn't belong. Take that sh!t to the beach breaks or Old Mans not to Lowers on a day when its firing and start dropping in on some of the best surfers on the planet and then argue and act like a tough guy when you are told to leave for your behavior.
hell you could go surf san o and have one of the trails almost to yourself if you want to wavestorm it...

Reactions: redrider

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Someone gave me a wavestorm and I took it out to let my kids play on it. Tried surfing it but it flexed like a banana on a bottom turn and overall sucked to ride. I'd rather not surf if the wavestorm was my only option.

The majority of my local is overrun with kooks on wavestorms. They have zero etiquette and tend to be completely obnoxious assholes. My biggest pet peeve is none of them can duck dive and they think the appropriate response to being caught inside is ditching their board in a crowded lineup. More than once I've told people their board hit me and they looked at me like I was being a dick for confronting them.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Love it.

Last time I yelled at a guy on a soft top for f*cking up the rotation at Bowls I told him I’m old and fat and surf circles around you but you want to grab every bump that rolls in. F*ck that. I’m going to burn you on every wave and if I don’t all my friends are going to.

He paddled away. I turned to look at the lineup, my friends were laughing some ransoms were shocked, I threw my hands up in the air and said you’re welcome. I’m such a dick at Bowls. Hahaha.
That is my issue with them.

Few weeks ago a dude came out on a wavestorm and immediately proceeded to back paddle the entire lineup. No waiting, no greetings, just straight to the peak and hassling the locals who were waiting their turn. Then the guy pretended to be shocked when someone called him out on his bullshit.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Meh. I mean, if there's surf I'll always choose my good wave board (or small wave board) but my soft top makes absolutely tiny waves surfable.

I don't really consider if "real surfing" though. More like just keeping my arms and legs limber. And, I keep regular etiquette no matter what I'm riding

Reactions: mundus

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That is my issue with them.

Few weeks ago a dude came out on a wavestorm and immediately proceeded to back paddle the entire lineup. No waiting, no greetings, just straight to the peak and hassling the locals who were waiting their turn. Then the guy pretended to be shocked when someone called him out on his bullshit.
Sounds like he might have been from somewhere far away?

The first time I surfed a legit rock bottom spot with a takeoff spot was with a couple Californians, and the things they talked about were foreign to me. They surfed well and were super nice guys, so I listened and learned. But Monster Hole was spread out and by the mid-90s, Sebastian was every man for themselves and whoever was the best combo of Michael Phelps + Colin McGregor won. Other than the Hobgoods those guys ripped so hard yet seemed so cruisey while every other pro/local etc. all seemed like aggro hassle artists.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Meh. I mean, if there's surf I'll always choose my good wave board (or small wave board) but my soft top makes absolutely tiny waves surfable.

I don't really consider if "real surfing" though. More like just keeping my arms and legs limber. And, I keep regular etiquette no matter what I'm riding
Why not ride a regular longboard?