Guys riding Wavestorms at the better spots, why do you do it?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I saw a guy at the base 2 summers ago on a wavestorm. Dominating. Overhead draining tubes. Stuffed every wave.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
clueless kooks with no ability (usually), have seen people ripping on them. rode a junk soft top a few weeks back when my boards didn't show up for a trip. couldn't turn for sh!t, felt like a beginner all over again

Reactions: redrider

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Everyone just wants to have fun. I see complete beginners rent them from the stand up the street. No worries; nameless spot flanked by hotels. I've seen one or two rippers in board-eating tubes pack some.

But the just good enough to ride the line and float a section Wavestorm people? Notorious flagrant drop ins. At best you'll have to race to fend them off and float the section they paddled down on you. At best.

This case, board they can't duck dive, refuse to wear one, at a treasured spot, in a fabled zone, with a long history, some of it violent.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Was out at Lowers a few years ago and a guy on a Wavestorm paddled out right past everyone and to the peak in a lineup full of top talent on a well overhead day. Such a good day with such a great vibe and a good rotation going in the lineup. Guy on the Wavestorm proceeded to drop in on people. Being a total dick and acting like a tough guy about it. Pretty sure he got Kolohe or one of the Gud Bros first. Shortly thereafter he dropped in on local San Clemente pro Jake Davis. A circle formed. Words were exchanged and a few slaps. Perhaps a dunking.....or two. The Wavestorm got sent in and may have "vanished" while its rider was left treading water. Police were called. Lifeguards arrived on scene. Bullhorns demanding everyone involved in assaulting the Wavestorm rider come in. Nobody went in. Lifeguards paddled out and threatened action. It was one of the more entertaining episodes I've witnessed in the water over the past few years and one of the highlights of my trips to California through the years.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
If you have decent surfing ability but you choose to ride wavestorm in barreling surf, there's something wrong with you.

Beginners are forgiven, like Tristan said, lesson learned.

I champion riding whatever you bring but sheesh, time and place for everything...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don’t understand it. They ride like absolute crap and can’t turn or anything.

Why not just get a mid length if you want to hog waves?
Funny you should say that. I haven’t ridden my wavestorm since I got the Andreini.

That being said, the dirty little secret to the wavestorms is to remove the middle fin and ride it as a twin.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I saw a guy at the base 2 summers ago on a wavestorm. Dominating. Overhead draining tubes. Stuffed every wave.
Ive surfed it on one.

Had two normal boards. Broke both. Grabbed the Storm (which lived on my ladder rack).

When you ride those things in real surf the flex properties do some amazing sh!t.

Fun as hell.

Reactions: Pico and gbg

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Was out at Lowers a few years ago and a guy on a Wavestorm paddled out right past everyone and to the peak in a lineup full of top talent on a well overhead day. Such a good day with such a great vibe and a good rotation going in the lineup. Guy on the Wavestorm proceeded to drop in on people. Being a total dick and acting like a tough guy about it. Pretty sure he got Kolohe or one of the Gud Bros first. Shortly thereafter he dropped in on local San Clemente pro Jake Davis. A circle formed. Words were exchanged and a few slaps. Perhaps a dunking.....or two. The Wavestorm got sent in and may have "vanished" while its rider was left treading water. Police were called. Lifeguards arrived on scene. Bullhorns demanding everyone involved in assaulting the Wavestorm rider come in. Nobody went in. Lifeguards paddled out and threatened action. It was one of the more entertaining episodes I've witnessed in the water over the past few years and one of the highlights of my trips to California through the years.
Lowers is a sh!t show.

Not defending wavestorm guy here but why should “top talent” get preferential treatment?

Why is burning a Gud bro any more egregious than burning a random hammer swinger?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Kook on kook fuckery at a shitty break is one thing. This guy wasn't even really a kook per se. He clearly had the basics down. Just an asshole on an extra floaty foamy being a dick where he clearly didn't belong. Take that sh!t to the beach breaks or Old Mans not to Lowers on a day when its firing and start dropping in on some of the best surfers on the planet and then argue and act like a tough guy when you are told to leave for your behavior.