Gut Slider - thoughts?

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
If or when the time comes would you ride one?

'Gut slider' laydown surfboard gets senior, injured surfers back on the waves

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
This has been a cult deal since forever. Since before I was born even. I got involved with cutting them at one point. Paipo People are serious. I had one cat fight over design, patents, my dragging dick is bigger than your dragging dick etc. "He copied me. You can't cut that."

And I guess as a lifelong surfer you could look at it as humiliating. But would you rather sit in The Home watching cartoons and shitting in your Depends with your remembrances of days past, or would you rather be in pulling into barrels? Plus from what I have seen, you can have a lot of fun at surf breaks that aren't even surf breaks. A hand plane kind of require a barrel. A surf mat generally has a hard time coming out of a barrel. A Paipo rides just about anything anywhere. To some degree. My partner cuts 8 foot belly boards for this guy year after year. I don't understand why he wants that kid of length, seems really cumbersome and unnecessary, but he's in the water supposedly riding secret Mexican point breaks.

Beats sitting home watching TV

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I see some old timer locals on some pretty creative craft to keep them in the water as they age and have health issues. One guy just upgraded to a custom thick fish kneeboard cause he has trouble popping up now.
We give ‘em any wave they can catch. Even if they don’t catch many that the paddle for, they have a smile on their face and are stocked just to be out there.
Nothin but respect and we all hope we are still doing it when we get to that point.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
One of my more memorable days was up in Mendocino County. It was tiny, and unsurfable (even smaller than the wave in my avatar)... but along the sandy banks of a river mouth I noticed these perfect little waves peeling. Like Superbank perfect, but under knee high. I got my board and tried surfing them but they were way too weak. Then I started belly boarding them and it turned to magic- OVERHEAD :roflmao:perfect peeling point break... and I was the only one out. Wishes do come true, just maybe not they way you expected.

ps in retrospect I think some hallucinogins might have made it even better

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Mini-Simmons make great prone boards should the need or desire arise to ride prone. So much faster than a bodyboard and can be run with smaller fins to lower the risk involved if you end up getting rolled with the board. Negates the need to wear fins as paddling is still easy and they are short enough to turn easily prone.
I've had lower back and also knee problems where I found surfing was not happening in the past. Had a local shaper make me a prone PU board with a deep double concave bottom and chine rails which was slightly longer than a bodyboard with a similar planshape. He's ended up making heaps of them and refining the shape over the years. Every wave is overhead.

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
does it have a heavily concaved deck for the gut?

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Mini-Simmons make great prone boards should the need or desire arise to ride prone. So much faster than a bodyboard and can be run with smaller fins to lower the risk involved if you end up getting rolled with the board. Negates the need to wear fins as paddling is still easy and they are short enough to turn easily prone.
I've had lower back and also knee problems where I found surfing was not happening in the past. Had a local shaper make me a prone PU board with a deep double concave bottom and chine rails which was slightly longer than a bodyboard with a similar planshape. He's ended up making heaps of them and refining the shape over the years. Every wave is overhead.
i do this on my 5'6 twinzer simmons when the waves are ultra short period onshore soft windswell but a bit of size.
The BEST is one of the first days doing it I was out early before anyone and flying around the beachie by my lonesome.
The regular cast of characters had gathered for coffee and were jawin' in the lot...watching me get waves, laughing or generally not giving a shite.
Coming in and walking to my van, the ONE guy I lock eyes with is my biggest hater- cause me and that board get A Lot of waves on A Lot of days...
He realizes the guy having a blast prone out there was me. He realizes the board I was riding is the very one he Despises...

"Oh dude- No WAY. Fuck You and that fuckin board!" and he just started laughing, Fully defeated. We've gotten on great since then.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Don't have a gut so don't need that design feature. Sucks getting older. Waiting on an op for an ingiunal hernia so might be proning it again soon while I recover. Beats sitting at home feeling sorry for oneself.
I had an inguinal hernia repair (plastic mesh) and although it was about 18 yrs ago my memory tells me that it will be too painful to even prone it while recovering. Then in 3 weeks you will be able to stand up and rip again. My repair is holding up fine with no problems.

Reactions: Aruka and Retropete

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Don't have a gut so don't need that design feature. Sucks getting older. Waiting on an op for an ingiunal hernia so might be proning it again soon while I recover. Beats sitting at home feeling sorry for oneself.
Just had it done. Four weeks out of the water - six until weights etc. I rode a krypt mat after shoulder issues and a kneeboard after sepsis. Both were fun in the right conditions. I surf with a guy who rides paipos and mats exclusively after double hip replacement. He fugging rips on them and still charges some serious waves. He makes your 60's look like fun.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Right now not sure when it really happens I figure I well keep it simple and bodysurf with fins and trunks hopefully some where warm:shaka:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and surfwhere

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'd dick drag if I had to.

Better than not surfing.

I broke a couple of ribs once and the push up motion of trying to stand up on a wave was excruciating.

To my surprise, laying on a boog was tolerable.

So I dominated that bitch for a couple of months until I was all healed up.

TBH, I was a bit embarrassed to show my face around my local on a sponge though.