Grow Site Found by Rangers in Death Valley NP

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I spent a lot of time at the Navy base in Ridgecrest. I had never been out there prior to my assignment.

I grew to love the place. The California desert is a strange and wonderful place. I could wander out there for days and never get bored. Plus, Mammoth was only 2 hours away and the base of the Sierras were less than an hour.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: crustBrother

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
That's how I feel about Kernville. It's a short drive to tons of mid to high elevation spots, close enough to the desert, nice people and small enough weed out bad people who try to live there (I think they all end up in Bodfish). It's one of the only places in CA where I've thought about buying something.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
We rode into the orchards behind UCSB towards the mountains, some limited success. Even put some along the fence lines of empty lots in Isla Vista. Clip them to keep them low.

Reactions: Boneroni

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I remember in high school there was this crazy dude that I worked with at the souplantation

he asked if I wanted to go out and shoot in the mountains

we went out by the old san diego flume shooting....found a dead cow...cruising around and
came up on what looked like wild weed plants...just massive growing in a little gully with a
spring

unkempt...no irrigation...growing all crazy town...not flowering

anywho...we stuffed some in to some garbage bags and drove back home....I took a big pile of
worthless weed and tried to dry it in the microwave and smoke it, but it was garbage so I threw
it away

a week later he no shows his shifts....a couple weeks...no sign of him. apparently he went to
7-11 or something later that day and tried to shoplift, got caught, and they tossed his vehicle,
finding garbage bags full of absolute rot weed

that guy was such a nut

souplantation was a cool place to work as a 16 year old...the older kids were animals

Reactions: Driftcoast

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
This podcast is really informative on the subject of public land grows and hits home on a couple fronts. The same trailhead access points in the Santa Clara and Santa Cruz County zone that I grew up roaming now feature warning signs of grow sites and the danger you may face should you stumble upon one. We only worried about rattle snakes and mountain lions back in the day. It's a nasty biz in that context.

I have family members that returned from Vietnam a bit disillusioned with their role in normal society and retreated to deep NorCal forests to grow. They'd never talk about their time over seas, but openly discuss the cat and mouse games they'd play in ghillie suits tending crops while avoiding the Federal helicopters patrolling. "Dopes on ropes" was the nickname they gave the agents dropping down to clean out their sites while they glassed the scene a ridge away.

These days I can drive 10 minutes in 3 directions and buy legal high grade GMOijuana any time I want but rarely, if ever, have time to indulge. Can't really wrap my head around the risk to reward of it all.

Also, that John Lithgow Homegrown movie is absolute trash.

Reactions: Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
souplantation was a cool place to work as a 16 year old...the older kids were animals
I met so many crazy dudes working sh!t jobs in my teens and 20s.

In every job we took tons of drugs and drank, that was constant feature in that work, which is funny because I'm a light weight and kind of a docile person.

But when in Rome. . . . I would alway try to keep up.

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
First big grow I did was in a state park
We hiked water in , left no footprints and pulled a few pounds of amazing weed.

don’t have to pollute to grow weed
814D417D-59F7-4E01-AE30-CB9D59F38366.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Boneroni

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
P
First big grow I did was in a state park
We hiked water in , left no footprints and pulled a few pounds of amazing weed.

don’t have to pollute to grow weed
View attachment 109151
If done organically and in correct fashion, cannabis betters the medium it's grown in.

When I 1st arrived on this island, I'd bury avocado pits only to have them, and the rest of the organic waste from our kitchen turn to dust... Now 16 years later, after pulling off crops annually, (at first in buckets above ground, then half buried, then with the bottom cut out, then straight into the soil) I bury an avocado pit, and it normally sprouts.

Cannabis improves soil when cultivated in organic no till fashion.

Reactions: santacruzin

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This podcast is really informative on the subject of public land grows and hits home on a couple fronts. The same trailhead access points in the Santa Clara and Santa Cruz County zone that I grew up roaming now feature warning signs of grow sites and the danger you may face should you stumble upon one. We only worried about rattle snakes and mountain lions back in the day. It's a nasty biz in that context.

I have family members that returned from Vietnam a bit disillusioned with their role in normal society and retreated to deep NorCal forests to grow. They'd never talk about their time over seas, but openly discuss the cat and mouse games they'd play in ghillie suits tending crops while avoiding the Federal helicopters patrolling. "Dopes on ropes" was the nickname they gave the agents dropping down to clean out their sites while they glassed the scene a ridge away.

These days I can drive 10 minutes in 3 directions and buy legal high grade GMOijuana any time I want but rarely, if ever, have time to indulge. Can't really wrap my head around the risk to reward of it all.

Also, that John Lithgow Homegrown movie is absolute trash.

SInce 1945, we've been losing to 4th generation enemies on foreign soil. In the past few decades, we've been losing on our own soil.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
P

If done organically and in correct fashion, cannabis betters the medium it's grown in.

When I 1st arrived on this island, I'd bury avocado pits only to have them, and the rest of the organic waste from our kitchen turn to dust... Now 16 years later, after pulling off crops annually, (at first in buckets above ground, then half buried, then with the bottom cut out, then straight into the soil) I bury an avocado pit, and it normally sprouts.

Cannabis improves soil when cultivated in organic no till fashion.

Build up of organics in volcanic soils + extra water = more plant life. Most deciduous plants do this on their own over time. Humans can improve the process with degree of intelligence and lots of manual labor.