Groveler fin setup

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I'd like your advice/opinion on this:

Just about to shape an ultra groveler; 5'8 x 21'ish, wide tail, thick and low rockered, flat deck. I'm aiming for ultimate get-up-and-go in small waves, not at all interested in a broad range. Check DMS Gherkin for the type of board.

At first I thought go with a five fin setup, the fins quite far back (wide tail/short board), but on second thoughts might use an old pair of keels (6 3/4 x 4 3/4" - flat inside) and fcs plugs for a small trailer/nubster. Thinking of 7" up, 1 1/4" in, 5dgs cant, toed to a point 2" either side of nose.

The keels are from an old fish of mine. I found them a little too small in HH+ waves, so made a second pair at 7 x 5", but for a small wave board and with the plugs for a trailer, I thought it might not be a bad idea.

Would they be too directional and drivey, and not pivoty enough?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Maz said:
I'm aiming for ultimate get-up-and-go in small waves, not at all interested in a broad range

Would they be too directional and drivey, and not pivoty enough?
Quad - fins out on the rails. No McKee.
Flat or inside foiled trailers. NO 50/50.

I like the CI (big and swept) up front with the G-X flat-sided trailers.

If you are worried about pivot I would address that with less fin on days you want more pivot.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Maz, definitely have a look at GG's 5 finner. I have run it on ultra wide tailed 5'0 boards and it is farking epic. Just about to start sea trials on a converted Dumpster Diver and I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it.

Can always use the outside plugs for quads too.

Drop him a line, I'm sure he'll help you out.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Thanks everybody.

Yes, Zen, I would love your fin placement dims!
I was hoping to hear about GG's 5 fin setup. Will try PMing him.

Grovel on!