Grom surf contracts - DONE

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
2 years at JC, then transfer. That's the ticket. The upside is that you will save many tens of thousands of dollars. The downside (for both you AND your kid) is that they will be living at home for 2 more years.
I did the 6 year undergrad program too :LOL:
Mine was even longer. I majored is surfing with multiple minors in girls, weed, and beer.
Somehow I got an EE degree, I think they were glad to get rid of me.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Both of my nephews got accepted at private universities. Student loans/debt. They both opted to go to our local State community college for two years. Deal with the basic prerequisits and then transfer. $35/tu vs. $35,000+ annually to do the same thing.
One of my good surfing friends did the same exact thing back in the day. Cabrillo Community College first. Then transferred to UCSC. Now a house programmer for Granite Construction. All of their bidding/payroll software. He is huge. A national company. Doing billions of $$$ worth of projects nationwide. Essentially, right now, he is irreplaceable. Nobody can step in to fill his shoes.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
2 years at JC, then transfer. That's the ticket. The upside is that you will save many tens of thousands of dollars. The downside (for both you AND your kid) is that they will be living at home for 2 more years.

Mine was even longer. I majored is surfing with multiple minors in girls, weed, and beer.
Somehow I got an EE degree, I think they were glad to get rid of me.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My nephews both got good gigs, Aptos BBQ and California Grill. Cabrillo College has an amazing culinary program. The students create weekly menus and run a public restaurant. Lunch and dinner. The state does not fund it. The proceeds

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I lived on 48th street in Newport for one semester my junior year. I had the best time, but my GPA plummeted. I bailed and moved to Costa Mesa otherwise I don't think I would have finished college in 4 years. Lots of drunken dry humping on the sand in the middle of the night on a Tuesday instead of studying.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Both of my nephews got accepted at private universities. Student loans/debt. They both opted to go to our local State community college for two years. Deal with the basic prerequisits and then transfer. $35/tu vs. $35,000+ annually to do the same thing.
My friend did 2 years at the comm college then transferred to an IVY LEAGUE and got both his undergrad and masters from them on scholarship

Reactions: TheEl

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
7-10 K?? wow, that's a lot of money, if you don't mind my asking was it mostly travel and hotels? I could see how 5 days in obx could get pretty expensive pretty quick. How did it divide up?
Three visits to OBX. One was a house rental and two were hotel stays. Gas. Ferry rides. Bay Bridge.
7 or 8 boards. We were dealing with a huge growth spurt last year. Thank god that leveled off.
Wardrobe of wetsuits for any conditions down to sub freezing. See above reference to growth spurt. o_O
Member dues to two different organizations.
Contest entry fees surfing multiple divisions.

Trust me, it adds up quick. Not complaining at all. It is what it is. Lots of great memories and friends made for the kids and parents.

Reactions: Chocki

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Three visits to OBX. One was a house rental and two were hotel stays. Gas. Ferry rides. Bay Bridge.
7 or 8 boards. We were dealing with a huge growth spurt last year. Thank god that leveled off.
Wardrobe of wetsuits for any conditions down to sub freezing. See above reference to growth spurt. o_O

Trust me, it adds up quick. Not complaining at all. It is what it is. Lots of great memories and friends made for the kids and parents.
Does he compete and place well? How old?

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I'm not sure if a lot of these kids or sub-adults are mentally mature enough to realize what they could be sacrificing just to be QS-level good.

Reactions: JBerry

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Gromsdad = good dad

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
So smart.

This is why I roll my eyes a little whenever I hear the "universities set students back hundreds of thousands of dollars, how can this stand?!?!" Yeah, only if you want it to. The UH system is fantastic and affordable, a great set of CC's and an R1 flagship university. A world class education, if you want it. Same of UC/CSU. It's there, and there are many paths in.
I did the CC to Uni route as well. It saved me money, as did my choice in university.

School costs more today than when you did it. I think my University is 3x's more expensive now than it was when I attended. The community college costs have grown by about 6x.

Wages have not climbed much. Roll your eyes, but it's less affordable now. And if you tally up all the costs over the entirety of time in school (and potentially add room/board), it's a lot.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I'm not sure if a lot of these kids or sub-adults are mentally mature enough to realize what they could be sacrificing just to be QS-level good.
I was in Centro last year and there was a low-tier QS contest a break down the coast. There were hundreds of competitors, and EVERYONE ripped. Like holy-sh!t ripped. There must be thousands of these guys worldwide -- surfing seems to be attracting real athletes like never before.

You'd have to be very, um, optimistic and confident to see the sheer number of world-class competitive surfers all vying for 40 WCT spots and not think "I may need a plan B."

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I was in Centro last year and there was a low-tier QS contest a break down the coast. There were hundreds of competitors, and EVERYONE ripped. Like holy-sh!t ripped. There must be thousands of these guys worldwide -- surfing seems to be attracting real athletes like never before.

You'd have to be very, um, optimistic and confident to see the sheer number of world-class competitive surfers all vying for 40 WCT spots and not think "I may need a plan B."
Yep. I've seen many of the top groms in the US over the past 8 years or so. A couple who I thought for sure would be at the top of the big tour got nowhere. One due to an unfortunate back problem is done and another who is mind blowing as a free surfer can't seem to get beyond the second or third round in QS events.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Just to put it out there...if anyone is sending their grom on a boat trip and has need of someone with ELA credentials...say the word. I'll only surf when the groms are napping!

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I went university of hawaii community college for 5 semesters.

Cost was 300 bucks a semester.

By the time I transferred to UH Manoa I had 72 credits and only needed to do 2 semesters and 2 summer schools to complete.

Total cost for my 4 year degree was 10,000

This was 2004-2010
For my first semester at UH Manoa I remember writing a check for $225 for the semester. But I'm a bit older than you.

Reactions: bluemarlin04