Grom surf contracts - DONE

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i knew a guy who used to throw a surf contest every month to pay his rent. iirc entry fees were $10

nssas were around $80 back then, man they must make good cash

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Am I the only one, especially given the Loughlin/Singer escapades, that sees most of these sports are a backdoor for rich but astoundingly mediocre students to get into an elite college?
USC is hardly elite.

Good school no doubt.

But sports are always a way for mediocre students to get into top schools.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
USC is hardly elite.

Good school no doubt.

But sports are always a way for mediocre students to get into top schools.
Agreed and I also question, especially given all the $$$ shenanigans, how really elite the Ivy League and others are. I've always considered it to be CalTech and MIT at the top (especially since academics is the primary focus), and then the next tier a ways down.

Reactions: stringcheese

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I went university of hawaii community college for 5 semesters.

Cost was 300 bucks a semester.

By the time I transferred to UH Manoa I had 72 credits and only needed to do 2 semesters and 2 summer schools to complete.

Total cost for my 4 year degree was 10,000

This was 2004-2010

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

By the time I transferred to UH Manoa I had 72 credits and only needed to do 2 semesters and 2 summer schools to complete.

This was 2004-2010
Nice!

I am a huge believer in using community college to knock out as many GE classes as possible. A small fraction of the price, the teachers are usually a lot more devoted to the class so you learn more, and less classes you have to take at the higher-priced institution.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Am I the only one, especially given the Loughlin/Singer escapades, that sees most of these sports are a backdoor for rich but astoundingly mediocre students to get into an elite college?
Read an article about squash and other obscure sports that get rich white kids into Harvard and other ivy leagues.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location

This was 2004-2010
So smart.

This is why I roll my eyes a little whenever I hear the "universities set students back hundreds of thousands of dollars, how can this stand?!?!" Yeah, only if you want it to. The UH system is fantastic and affordable, a great set of CC's and an R1 flagship university. A world class education, if you want it. Same of UC/CSU. It's there, and there are many paths in.

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
My oldest son went to OCC for 4 and 3.5 at CSULB and finished with a degree in accounting. I made him take out loans because he was not a very good student during the OCC days. I told him I'm going to pay off his loan next year. That's his gift for completing. My youngest has another year at UCSD. He too went the OCC route. He wants to get a PHD in Mechanical Engineering. Roughly the cost for UCSD is roughly $32K/year. $16.5K for tuition and the rest on his apartment expenses. My youngest graduating next year is my ticket to retirement!!!!

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I did the 6 year undergrad program too :LOL:
I joined the military reserves after I graduated high school so and then I got sent to Iraq between junior and senior year.

But I also partied and surfed a lot so I failed couple classes here and there and it took me one semester longer then it was supposed too. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: LifeOnMars

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Nice!

I am a huge believer in using community college to knock out as many GE classes as possible. A small fraction of the price, the teachers are usually a lot more devoted to the class so you learn more, and less classes you have to take at the higher-priced institution.
This was one of the biggest things I noticed and differences.

When you show up to a four year it’s usually TAs lecturing in huge halls with only office hours to get seen at.

In comm college a lot of the time you still have profs with doctorates but the classes are smaller and you get more attention.

The ONLY downside I see is a lot of the guys at comm college are just screwing around and they kind of have the potential to drag you down if you’re not careful.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
what sickens the plot is say parents bribed their daughter onto the
crew only to have the season canceled.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Sport helped me get into UCSB. Not academic or athletic scholarship worthy, did medium well at school, but a nudge from the coach helped. 4 years + 1 trimester and done, total academic cost started at $1,500/yr and ended at $3,000/yr. I was not a stud but ended up starting over guys with full rides. Asked the coach for some help with $$ and was told those scholarships can't be taken away for being lazy.Worked at the University Center and summers painting the dorms.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
lol harry - got into UC Davis to play football - quit transfered to UCSB to play football - never showed up to practice but was enrolled

Reactions: HarryLopez

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Nice!

Both of my nephews got accepted at private universities. Student loans/debt. They both opted to go to our local State community college for two years. Deal with the basic prerequisits and then transfer. $35/tu vs. $35,000+ annually to do the same thing.