Greg Griffin RIP

Dec 18, 2014
Tanner said:
So funny you posted this, because on Sunday afternoon I was about to paddle out on my GG Mini Longboard, into our solid swell, and randomly remembered GG telling me years ago 'Always make sure these fins are tight' and thought to myself 'Holy Sh!t, I don't know that I've ever tightened these things in the 2.5 years since I got this board from him'......sure enough, all 4 fins needed some turns.

They give me much less angstxiety now that they're notched up but when I first had them and was trying them in different boards the freshly tightened G-10 would loosen up. If I ever blow a GG keel out I'm going to scour the zone flounder-mode trying to find it.

It's 9:05pm. Do you know where your GG G-10s are?
I drill slight recesses on and to either side (to maintain adjustability) of the notch marks so that even if the grub screws back off, the fin (hopefully) won't fall off. And I check screw tightness b4 every go out.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
I hope his wife reads these post and sees the aloha and love.

I’m sure she has heard him chirping about all the real and perceived antagonism from the forum. She will then understand why he kept coming back. It probably didn’t make sense to her at times. RIP.
FYI - I let her know about the two GG threads and she thanked me for making her aware. Hoping she logs on and sees everything.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Are you still getting your board? That will be one special sled
Yes, GG confirmed my board was finished, right before his accident, and was scheduled to pick it up from the glasser the day after :cry:.

The glass shop is working with his wife to take care of GG's customers who had boards in-process and I told them I'm in absolutely no rush during this difficult time.

And YES, this one is really going to be special.

Njryan

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 25, 2011
This is terrible news…. I finally ordered a Modfish2 from him and ironically got it shipped to NJ before I moved to south Florida. He was great to deal with and still dealing with the move and haven’t surfed it yet but it’s a beauty. I was super happy that he was going to be my local shaper moving forward… my condolences to his family.

sakana_kid

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 24, 2009
A funny GG story that the Design Forum will appreciate.........:cool:

I'm in Hawaii with the family about 10 years ago, for a quick getaway, over Thanksgiving. The week before we're scheduled to arrive, GG texts me a screenshot of the WAY OUTTA MY LEAGUE surf forecast, along with a cryptic note that simply said 'Get ready to duck dive' :oops: .

Between the surf on the NS being way too big for me during my stay, having the pro tour in town at the same time and having the entire family with me, I decided not to bring any boards with me and would just deal with it, if needed.

I told GG this and he said that he had one or two demo boards floating around and that I was also more than welcome to any of his personal boards. Over the course of my stay, we were trying to organize a get together and then he called and said that an off the beaten path NS spot would be completely manageable in the next day or two and that he would gladly take me.

The morning of our rendezvous, GG picks me up at first light in his legendary mini van and has a board all ready to go for me, set up as a quad, as he knows that's my preferred choice. We drive to this spot and paddle out into a mostly all local crowd and I ended up actually getting a few really fun and not so scary waves. His board worked insane and when we were back at the van I told him how much I enjoyed it and how stoked I was on it.

He just kinda shrugged his shoulders and nonchalantly said 'My boards are OH-KAY', which was a little surprising to me.

THEN, a gleam suddenly came over his eyes, along with a smile on his face, and he quickly said 'But my FINS are where it's at. They're my secret sauce'.
Thanks for sharing that story! I’ve been fortunate to have gotten a lot of customs from Greg. I kept my 5 fin set for the next mod fish. Last visit he said he couldn’t fit me in and I was hoping to get one this year.
Thank you Greg form the many hours of conversations both on the phone, over email and in person. Thank you for the immaculately foiled fin sets that I will use till I can’t surf any longer. Fly with angels!

sakana_kid

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 24, 2009
Who you kiddin' brah? :LOL:

I looked in a few places and found pics of a couple more I've had. I forget what the official name of this one was - maybe Mod Keel Fish? This thing went INSANE and after about two years I thought 'Why didn't I get more foam on this thing?' :shrug:

Always meant to order another, larger version, and of course never did :socrazy:

I remember that beauty. Ordered my mod keel in Eps after seeing yours.

• Love
Reactions: JDJ and Tanner