Greg Griffin RIP

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Pretty cool to see how many of you are riding his shapes. Whatever you believe or don’t believe about an after-life he’s gonna live on in your turns every time you put one of his boards on rail. Go get some for GG!:waving:

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Don't have as many griffins as Tanner

he shaped me three 6'4" modfish blanks for helping with his shaping room rent for a month to keep him going when his wife was sick. I had bammbamm glass one(orange deck) in ResinX Epoxy and we bagged one with tigerwood veneer and the other with bamboo veneer I gave the ResinX to MoneyforCoffee on kauai and my brother has Tiger Woods. Sold the thruster and red swirl rocket. Sold Greg's personal 6'6" modfish to Cyril but bought his 6'2" hovercraft years later.

g0.jpg

first GG 6'2" 5 fin low rocker fish
g1.jpgg2.jpg

same board ~20 years later glassing held up well
g5.jpgg4.jpg

I need to get an updated quiver shot that includes these:
6'0" EPS Felix Tail Hovercraft
6'6" Modfish2 (greg's)
8' 0" 5 Fin Rocket
8'0" 5 Fin "Big Fish" new design (greg's)
9'0" thruster longboard (greg's)
9'4" 5 Fin EPS longboard

GG G10 FCS and Lokbox fins
newfolder4235.jpeg

Ended up making my own replacements for all of Greg's fins I lost. His boards don't really work without the G10 fins although he once told me that AM's fins and the H2's would work in a pinch.
20141111_113824(0) (1).jpg

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Never know when it’s your time to go. Sad to see GG go unexpectedly like this.

Had spoken to him over the phone on a few occasions- when his Modfish was the talk of the erbb.

Got a legit barrel on my first session on one of his thruster shapes with his famous hand foiled fins.

RIP GG.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Brutal loss. People may or may not have loved his posts, but he was a tremendous and driven shaper. Was about to order two for Fiji this morning, when I heard from JP's post that Greg had passed. BRUTAL

Will continue to treasure the fins I have from him now.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Pretty bummed about this all day. He was a bitter sounding guy online, but in person he was stocked and willing to talk and explain design for as long as you wanted to. He explained why I liked certain boards and that got me on to the path that I'm surfing better at 42 than I was at 24. Mahalo for that Gregg. I always wanted to order a hovercraft from him, but never did. I will cherish the 3 sets of fins I have from him.

What a bad ass, going out in a motorcycle crash at 70 something years old. Core Lord.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Wow, this is absolutely devastating.

Can't say I was a huge fan of his contributions but no one deserves to go out like this.

Rode a motorcycle for two years and decided to quit while I was well ahead. Haven't looked back since.

RIP Greg. I'm sure he's lecturing folks on surfboard history and design somewhere up in heaven... or in hell.

Also, could this be the crash?

Was Greg 46? Seemed like he was more like 56... Or even 106.
No way Gregg was awake at 11:46 p.m. :ROFLMAO:

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
rip Greg. i lost a bud in a motorcycle wreck..
fuuuggggllly...:cry:...been on4wheels...since...

Mar 2, 2019
A few years back, I placed my last shortboard order with Greg. He was moving from Hawaii to Florida. With all that typically comes with a life course change like that, our conversation was instead about which bike to get. He was like a giddy kid who wanted the most expensive, most high performance motorcycle he could get. Our dialogue went on for a couple of weeks with me commenting on the impracticallity of one bike or another and so on until he finally found the Suzuki that is pictured in his instagram. He loved buying that bike like I loved getting a board from him. To most people, surfing (waves that only a true surfer would paddle out for) is crazy. Same for riding a motorcycle. I wasn't close to Greg, but we shared a few moments in time due to our common interests and friends in the surfing community. Some of the best and most memorable waves of my life have been riding the 7'2" 5-fin "semi-fish." Greg's comments from my email thanking him for such a great board:

Not the newest design - 30 years old :)

Old guys Rule

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Don't have as many griffins as Tanner
Who you kiddin' brah? :LOL:

I looked in a few places and found pics of a couple more I've had. I forget what the official name of this one was - maybe Mod Keel Fish? This thing went INSANE and after about two years I thought 'Why didn't I get more foam on this thing?' :shrug:

Always meant to order another, larger version, and of course never did :socrazy:

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
This one is a 6'1 Mini Longboard 5-fin that I really enjoyed (no bottom shot). I used to put quad fins from another GG board in it, and I think it kinda rubbed him the wrong way :oops: , as in 'Why aren't you using the damn fins I MADE for this particular board!'

Anyway, the thing went great with the other quad fins in there and one day while surfing with my friend he asked to try it and then begged me to sell it to him, so of course I did, knowing that I could always order another (which I did a few years ago, but in a 7'2 quad version, so there was no fin drama with GG haha - but in the exact same color).

About a month ago, I literally had the thought of asking my buddy to sell this one back to me, since it seems like he rarely rides it anymore, and now I will definitely be asking for a buy back.