Greenlight custom blank service:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
We're excited to let you know about our latest service
Don't really want to learn how to use AKU Shaper software to design your custom EPS blanks? No problem.

We'll design it for you for NO Charge until Feb 15th!

Just add this design service product to you cart along with your Custom Engineered EPS Blank or Custom Surfboard Kit products and let us know the following:

1. Board Model you want to copy (eg. Firewire Dominator, Pyzel Ghost, Lost Mini Driver...)
2. Board Length
3. Board Width
4. Board Thickness
5. Target Board Volume

So why shape your own custom close tolerance blanks?

1. High accuracy outline and rocker.
The two most critical aspects of good surfboard performance are done for you on our thermal CNC hotwire cutter so you don't have to stress about shaping it right.

2. No power planer needed! Say goodbye the needless action of planing the blank to thickness which has been the standard waste of time for the past 70 years. Now you don't need to master how to use a power tool on a bunch of wonky shapes before you are actually able to shape correctly... Just hand shape the rails and bottom contours (if any - flat is fast!)

3. Reduce the amount dust created in your work space by more than 1/2 compared to shaping a stock blank.

Use Code:
DESIGN4ME
at checkout
and we'll design your next blank for free
Sent from Greenlight Surf Co.
187 Parker Ave, Unit L, Manasquan, New Jersey, United States
Unsubscribe | Manage preferences

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
How are they getting the rockers/outlines for all these shapes?

Are they paying the shapers for the files?
Measure?
scanning would be unethical, simple measurements and transferring to a file is what it is
It could be more what type of board desired (ie Driver= low tail rocker. Ghost=pulled in round pin etc.)
I take boards I like (or get a chance to map) and make detailed measurements and transfer to shape3d. Obviously these are just rough guidelines and there are so many other details to the design, I wouldn't consider it a straight rip off/knock off

Reactions: jkb

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
How are they getting the rockers/outlines for all these shapes?

Are they paying the shapers for the files?
If they do it just like their instructional video, you can put an image of a board from the internet and just match the outlines and rockers. Now if I could only get @oeste858 to reply back to my DM so I can get this one going :poke:

1674265872311.png

Reactions: need 4 speed

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
If they do it just like their instructional video, you can put an image of a board from the internet and just match the outlines and rockers. Now if I could only get @oeste858 to reply back to my DM so I can get this one going :poke:

View attachment 146382
ah, sorry. I can't see DMs on my phone, only on my computer. I'll try to get to it Sun/Mon. Have to remember where that boar is!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

View attachment 146382
Interesting.

I think I'd take issue with this if I was a shaper and my boards were being copied this way.

Obviously backyarders copy measurements of their favorite boards and attempt to replicate shapes. I'm fine with that but this is different.

This is someone selling you a blank with a copied rocker and outline and the originator of said rocker/outline gets nothing.

Am I off base?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Interesting.

I think I'd take issue with this if I was a shaper and my boards were being copied this way.

Obviously backyarders copy measurements of their favorite boards and attempt to replicate shapes. I'm fine with that but this is different.

This is someone selling you a blank with a copied rocker and outline and the originator of said rocker/outline gets nothing.

Am I off base?
Yes.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
The person who buys that Greenlight blank will come nowhere near replicating the board. They won't replicate the shape and they likely won't glass it so it has the same flex characteristics as say a Lost or whoever they hope to copy. Just too many variables.
Yes but for another professional to advertise that they will copy for you at a price is sketchy at best. If I was the other pro I would be not be happy with them.
*Scooped by Bob

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Am I off base?
IMHO Its a very niche market, only a handful of people have the tools, skills ,or desire to build their own boards. I would hope that if Greenlight got an order for 20 RNF or Ghost or any other boards model they would say no.Agree with GD lots of variables (too many to list) that its not a straight knock off. Shape3d has the same functionality in the pay version, keep in mind the distortion that I assume comes from using this feature. I think it's probably more accurate to just make detailed measurement. I even measure rail apex, tuck depth, where the hard edge starts, bottom contour(and where) fin position cant, toe etc.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Laminating, hot coat, setting fins fun.
Sanding less fun
I was born to sand- boat builder, furniture maker, surfboards....it's what Italians call a "lavoro certosino."

I like the idea of custom blanks. I don't like that they specifically say "copy" and then list specific manufacturers' models. To me that gets too close to infringement, whether or not the builder has the skills to replicate the board.

US Blanks will do custom rockers but they way they do it is a bit confusing to me. You can add or subtract measurements from one of their standard blanks, but then they say they make adjustments on the deck. The last blank I ordered, I simply took off small amounts of rocker at the nose and tail. In that case thye make the adjustment from the center. I feel doing it that way created a bit of a flat spot in the middle.

Here's their explanation-

"We use the deck line to adjust rocker, and all adjustments are referenced to the Natural Rocker. If desired, we can adjust rocker to the bottom. Adjustments can be made from almost any point on a blank and from one blank size to another. Unless instructed, all rocker adjustments will be made from the center of the blank. If the adjustment is made from a point other than center, the adjustment point will be part of the description. Rockers transferred from one blank size to another will require a match point. Radical rocker adjustments may result in bumps or dips created in the deck line."

I recently asked if I could get a 6-8 superfused with the 6-8P's rocker. They said no.

So I'm back to choosing a stock blank with equal or less rocker than I'd like (much easier to add rocks to a blank than to take it out).

Reactions: need 4 speed

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@One-Off
I was wondering if these are "custom" blanks or CNC milled boards coming off their machine.
For blanks you might check with Fusetight, he has a computer controlled hot wire for block cut. I spoke with Mike at the Boardroom and asked if t could get boards cut again, sounded like he had block eps again .