GREATEST SURF MOVIES OF ALL TIME

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Does Searching for Tom Curren rank higher than Kelly Slater Black and White?

I am trying to create a surf movie collection and dont know where to start and would like to get the names of some good ones and classic must haves.

Reactions: Bman76

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Does Searching for Tom Curren rank higher than Kelly Slater Black and White?

I am trying to create a surf movie collection and dont know where to start and would like to get the names of some good ones and classic must haves.
Any of the videos from "The Search" series rank higher than Black and White. Black and White was ground breaking though as it was a high quality movie that Quik put on shelves for only $9.99 and encouraged buyers to copy and share it. I'm also fond of a few of Taylor's videos like Good Times and September Sessions.

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
For the older films

Morning of the Earth (the final segment especially will give you tremendous respect for those who came before you, I'm still touched every time I see it)

Innermost Limits of Pure Fun

Crystal Voyager can be fun as it gives you a little insight into a mind that had a profound effect on surfing.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
there used to be a "surfmovies.org" that had plenty of these streaming free
i think they still exist on torrents

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
If you have a DVD copier I can loan you some of these.
Dude! That would be insane. I have to check and see if I have one on my work computer. I was going to buy Searching for Tom Curren on DVD but its a little pricey @ $50.00

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've been scouring e-bay looking for vids, but need a little help with which ones are the good ones.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Definitely seen this one. The 30 Minute mark has all the footage of Curren, Greenough and Tomo's dad (Mark Thomson) creating a board with the thruster hatchet fins for Curren. I believe that was all filmed by Mark as well.

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
Thicker than water. Good sound track.

What's Really Going Wrong.

There was a VHS I checked out from the Bolinas Library years ago, it featured Tom Carroll and some other Australian rippers in Indo in the later seventies. I forget the title, but it was cool to see the high point of single fin surfing right before the thruster hit.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
All solid ones mentioned. I really liked Secret Machine and since I seem to have less free time nowadays, I prefer a good short film. Spirit, with Jay Davies is pretty solid.