Grandview Bluff Collapse

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Coincidence that a major hotel is under construction a couple of hundred yards away. That was no slide, a
solid block of sandstone just tipped over and flattened them. Just wrong.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
noone said:
john4surf said:
Three members of an Encinitas children’s dentist family celebrating his birthday at the beach. Just tragic...
How do you know this?
I can confirm- long time locals and the family is dentists to a good swath of kids in the area. Everyone knows the bluffs “could” collapse but it’s sorta like being struck by lightning here. Such a tragic day.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
StuAzole said:
noone said:
john4surf said:
Three members of an Encinitas children’s dentist family celebrating his birthday at the beach. Just tragic...
How do you know this?
I can confirm- long time locals and the family is dentists to a good swath of kids in the area. Everyone knows the bluffs “could” collapse but it’s sorta like being struck by lightning here. Such a tragic day.

How awful! Who is it? I saw two women's names were identified. I grew up there in Leucadia, so I wonder if I know them.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
noone...agree on the watering/development on the bluff...that combined with the erosion led to this tragedy...

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
The waves had been smashing the cliff the night before. That beach in particular is always wet sand, with the tides reaching the cliff regularly.

Here's a link to video from 11-2015. https://vimeo.com/147415830

[vimeo]https://player.vimeo.com/video/147415830[/vimeo]
The vimeo tag isn't working? Clue me in erbbers/

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
RIP. That just sucks.
My friend and I were kicking back at the base of the cliff at Perko's when the Coalinga quake hit, all kinds of dirt and rocks was falling around us, we were like, WTF?
We found out what happened later after we got back to Gaviota.
Remember that MASSIVE slide at Blacks?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
That huge slide at Blacks back in the early 90's (I think? Or was it late 80's?) change the beach there for months, if not a year or so.

High tide was kind of a hassle walking over all the rocks and debri and large boulders.

This one is particularly saddening, as it took a large chunk of a family with it.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I remember sitting in the water at Blacks and seeing a giant chunk of cliff come down. No one was under it, but still pretty eye opening. Saw the same thing while in the water at Rincon. The coast is constantly changing and sea level rise will make this happen more often.

RIP.

PhatCruiser

Michael Peterson status
Feb 8, 2007
I was shocked to learn that the two sisters, Julie and Elizabeth (Betsy), were my neighbors in Crown Point. They used to babysit me when I was a kid (pre-teen). Their Dad owned Charles' Seat Covers on Lamont St. in PB back in the day. I moved to north PB in '76 so hadn't been in touch for a long time. I still drive down the street once in awhile. So sad. A lot of their kids and grandkids were with them at the beach when it happened.

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
OMNI Resort is making that massive thing, They previous owners purchased the property from a friend of mine. i wanted to buy the property for a nice 'remodel' Outbid by a few digits very sad. they didnt want any more competition within like 3-4 miles.