Gov. Abbott hurting farmers, making inflation worse, and exacerbating supply chain problems.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

On Thursday, Abbott began rolling back the inspection rules after striking deals with the governors of three of the four Mexican states that border Texas: Chihuahua, Coahuila, and Nuevo León. Abbott suspended secondary inspections at border crossings in those states after the governors agreed to have Mexican police conduct inspections on their side of the border.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I'm not against securing the border, but I think it'd be a helluva lot more effective to do job site inspections to check for legal work status at food processing facilities, residential/commercial construction sites, landscaping etc. .

"You don't have papers or a ss/tin#? No problem! Keep working!.... but your employer is taking a $5000 tax penalty for each individual violation. And we might have multiple inspections a year :waving:"

10x undocs on your job site on Monday? $50k fine for you
Get caught again on next month's inspection with 5x? You're now at $75k fine

Why would this not work?

Reactions: GromsDad

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm not against securing the border, but I think it'd be a helluva lot more effective to do job site inspections to check for legal work status at food processing facilities, residential/commercial construction sites, landscaping etc. .

"You don't have papers or a ss/tin#? No problem! Keep working!.... but your employer is taking a $5000 tax penalty for each individual violation. And we might have multiple inspections a year :waving:"

Why would this not work?
It should be as hard as possible for illegals to find work. You're spot on.
I'd add that the illegals found in those inspections should be sent back.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I think ramping up physically forcing them back would just be ugly and not in the american spirit. Let the lack of jobs do that.

My analogy:
If dogshit (jobs that will employ undocs) is in your backyard you can keep trying to spray for flies (undocs), but why waste all that money on spray when you could just pickup and get rid of the dogshit?!?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Why would this not work?
Agree that employers should be nailed.

But the sate of CA made that much more difficult for the Fed to do here….

”Under AB 450, employers are prohibited from allowing federal immigration agents to enter nonpublic areas of a worksite without a judicial warrant.
  • The new law prohibits employers from allowing federal immigration agents to access, review or obtain employee records without a subpoena or judicial warrant. These restrictions don't apply to I-9 employment eligibility verification forms and other documents for which a Notice of Inspection has been given to the company.
  • Employers that receive a Notice of Inspection from the federal government must notify employees within 72 hours of receiving the inspection notice.
  • The state law prohibits employers from reverifying the employment eligibility status of current employees unless required by federal law.
  • The penalties for violating the first three provisions are $2,000 to $5,000 for a first violation and $5,000 to $10,000 for each subsequent violation. For the fourth provision, the penalty is up to $10,000 for a violation.
  • However, the state is facing a legal challenge. The U.S. Department of Justice is suing California, alleging that AB 450 and two other state laws make it difficult for the federal government to enforce immigration laws.”