Good surf tunes like Jack Johnson???

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sndcrtr:<BR><B>speaking of which: I watched September Sessions yesterday again.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So did I.<P>

sndcrtr

Miki Dora status
Apr 22, 2002
Istanbul,Turkey
No way...which karmic planet were we both on!!
I couldn't help myself...listened to jazz albums...then went and kicked it watching Sept. Sessions like I said 4x's. Very loud.... couldn't stop
... My drug for the no surf blues!<P>

sndcrtr

Miki Dora status
Apr 22, 2002
Istanbul,Turkey
F-Stop Blues <BR>brushfirefairytales (2001) <P>Hermit crabs and cowry shells <BR>Crush beneath his feet as he comes towards you <BR>He's waving at you <P>Lift him up to see what you can see <BR>He begins his focusing <BR>He's aiming at you <P>And now he has cutaways from memories <BR>And close-ups of anything that <BR>He has seen or even dreamed <BR>And now he's finished focusing <P>He's imagining lightning <BR>Striking sea sickness <BR>Away from here <P>Look who's laughing now that you've wasted <BR>How many years and you've barely even tasted <BR>Anything remotely close to <BR>Everything you've boasted about <BR>Look who's crying now <P>Driftwood floats, after years of erosion <BR>Incoming tide touches roots to expose them, <BR>Quicksand steals my shoe, <BR>Clouds bring the f-stop blues <P>Look who's laughing now that you've wasted <BR>How many years and you've barely even tasted <BR>Anything remotely close to <BR>Everything you've boasted about <BR>Look who's crying now <BR>

JakeC

Michael Peterson status
Jan 15, 2002
Oceanside, Ca
I dont know if i'd consider it surf tunes, but it KINDA sounds like JAck and the band is good friends with JAck, but G-LOve and Special sauce is cool. Their music is kinda funky, but pretty sweet. They opened for JAck on sat at UCSD and it was a pretty sick show,.<BR>-Jake

Someone

Miki Dora status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay, CA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rod Waits:<BR><B>Is why cool guys like sublime, pete yorn and jack johnson suck.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ok i can understand why you don't like Jack JOhnson or Pete Yorn. You're entitled to your opinion. But man, if you don't think brad nowell was an amazing musician, you're just plain wrong. And you're not entitled to your opinion dammit! Are you a troll or what?! I would like to see you write a song like Pool Shark. I'd love to see it. You're probably basing your opinion on their self titled hit album. Off what I got and santeria. Your ignorance shows, Rod Waits. Listen to Robbin da Hood, start to finish. and then deny the fact that sublime is a good band.

Jul 7, 2002
santa barbara
Do the Mermen suck too Rod?<P>How about D ick Dale?<P>So Dennis Dragon's work with the SurfPunks would be up there with jam session at George's house on Innermost?<P><p>[This message has been edited by scooter (edited 10-14-2002).]

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
I was the ultimate music snob when I was 22 too (22 years ago). I judged people by what they listened to and had a zero tolerance policy for music that "sucked". Coincidently, my tastes were pretty similar to Rod's, given his list on that other thread. I imagine I was as insufferable as he is too.

bandini

Michael Peterson status
Jan 22, 2002
SF
Visit site
Yeah Rod! Santo & Johnny rule. "Sleepwalk" truly is the greatest song ever written. In my opinion.<P>Nebula, try:<BR>Tommy Guerrero<BR>Calexico<BR>Beachwood Sparks<BR>Thee Headcoats (or Headcoatees)<BR>High Llamas (for those that want a modern Beach Boy sound)<P>Yeah, them are some good sounds.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Random Guy:<BR><B>what are surf tunes?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>hmmmm, good question RG, what ARE surf tunes?

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
I'm still a musical snob. I just gave up trying to enlighten the truly clueless. I also learned that it just doesn't matter. For every Gram Parsons there's going to be 15 Garth Brooks. <P>"Sleepwalk" IS one of the best songs ever written. <P>Bandini, did you catch "Blank Generation" on Sundance over the weekend?<P>

bandini

Michael Peterson status
Jan 22, 2002
SF
Visit site
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R3W:<BR><B>Bandini, did you catch "Blank Generation" on Sundance over the weekend?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, dammit. This new digital cable we have is cool, but to get the key stations is like another $10 a month, which doesn't seem so bad, but roomates are all tightwads. I don't get that station, don't get TCM, and don't get the "good" MTV station.<P>Was that the film that just played at YBCA? Any X-Ray Spex fooage?<P>Hey Rod, why is that funny?