Good NW swell tomorrow in CA.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Ya. It's one thing when it's 2x overhead and closing out all the beachy's.

But barely head high sets and closing out is probably worse.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Nice shot!

I was going to rest today but it was so damn hot. Went for a surf in the fading swell. Cooled off, but by the time I hiked back up the trail I was dripping sweat again.
did you go?

how bad was it?

it is HOWLING offshore here this morning

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
About 30 heads on the peak at sunrise (boo), about 50 when I left. Saw a group of 7 people walking to the spot at one point. Howling offshore and overhead.
Where'd you surf? Pm me if necessary.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Caught one wave yesterday, then got caught inside by a massive set that closed out the bay, buckled my board, and got washed to the beach. Today I surfed the same board in some playful chest-head high surf at a sheltered right hander. Less scary.
You surfed your buckled board? My son broke his board on Saturday. We surfed a well OH reef a ways south of here.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yesterday was definitely a better day than Saturday. Went to my usual. Was hollow, a little lurchy with the dropping tide, but only a few people out up and down, wind either calm or offshore most the late morning/early afternoon. Would have been nice if the swell had been more consistent but alas. Waves obviously didn't call for it but I have this 6'7" roundpin that had been a step-up for many years before I replaced it with another board (which is now a battered pile of sh*t). Figured since it was hollow, would be a good day to test it out.

Brought the usual daily driver I have also, which was still holding water apparently from previous days sesh. That was my best board for a long time but it is such a patchwork of dings, weakened glass, suspect fin box leakage, it paddles and surfs like a boggier version of a cinder block. Which means that you have to lean super forward on it to even get it down the face and then on hollower/lurchier waves, it either bogs down or fins slip out. After 30 minutes of frustration, said f*ck it, and took out the 6'7". Board is about 20 years old and I haven't surfed it in at least 10. A little gunnier shape with a bit more rocker than other boards. Felt like such a trip to have a board that could actually hold a line off a steep drop. It also means that QuiverKiller is officially obsolete so now I should get off my ass and sell it so I can get a better shortboard.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Super fun yesterday. A couple feet overhead on the sets. Best waves in a while... for me, anyway. Hard offshore first thing, turning lighter later in the morning. Peaks galore. Lots of people. eesh, that kinda sucked. And so did the rip that kept finding me.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I don't usually surf on weekends, so I had really low expectations. Man, it was a sh!tshow.

Sat. surfed my flying manta at a reef/point. It was sooooo slow. Sometimes a rideable wave wouldn't come for 20 minutes and it was stupid crowded. then moved down to empty beach break.

Sun. surfed a hightide closeout. good training, but not good waves.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Friday: Rising swell before work in the AM. Piece of pie to get out, amazingly so. Based on how well I did, seems like me missing decent surf in October has set me back.

Saturday: Paddled out in fog. Paid for it with a long paddle, nearly gave up, and then, there I was, outside and unable to see land nor the incoming swell. Made it tough to find a a peak. Finally got a shoulder hop that I had hoped would be a good ice-breaker for the session, but then midway through, thought, "Well, how much fun am I having out here anyway when I have no line-up markers and I am the only one out (as far as I could tell)?" So I didn't kick out and rode it a long ways....was a tall sloping wave, not all the critical at all, at first, then got more boring as it went along, until suddenly walled up and closed out on the inside. Was a good distance from where I started.

Sunday: Smaller with the dying swell. Was working on the outside at first then as the session progressed had to move to the inside...wish I had a different board for the inside. The best part of the session was the realization that maybe all my skill didn't disappear over summer. Psychological gamemanship with myself overcome, last few waves were both fun and exciting till I got stuck inside. Size has cut down the crowds. Water seemed not as cold as it did in October.

Reactions: bluengreen

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
You surfed your buckled board? My son broke his board on Saturday. We surfed a well OH reef a ways south of here.
It didn't fully buckle and crack the glass through the middle part of the board, just cracked the rails a bit. The next day it felt totally fine even with the glass open, no weird flexing or anything, so I think it's totally salvageable. Going to have the glass redone so it's sealed up and keep the board as a backup to the new duplicate I'm going to pick up.

Reactions: rice

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Went both days in the afternoon. Crowded but I got waves. Saturday much bigger. Sunday saw Durbs. Has a 9 month old daughter.
yeh, he called me to rub it in

I've hung out with his baby, she's gorgeous.

I expected that place to be untenable on the weekend + first swell