Good hooded 4/3?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When do full suits usually go on sale? Mine is on it's third season. I'll nurse it through this year but know I need a new one next year. Also, probably discussed elswhere but how are the needessentials suits?

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
When do full suits usually go on sale? Mine is on it's third season. I'll nurse it through this year but know I need a new one next year. Also, probably discussed elswhere but how are the needessentials suits?
They don't go on sale within the current global supply chain conditions, sad to say

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
I couldn't find a hooded 4/3 Psycho Tech and replaced mine with a Mutant. I *hate* the Mutant and am about to give up on it - 100% due to the issue of threading the zipper. It's just way too difficult to do, and I've failed to manage to suit up without help. I also sent the suit back to O'neill as the zipper was fraying right where the zipper car threads on. They replaced the zipper and the new one is just as bad.

I'm thinking of pickup up a Feral hooded 5/4/3 despite the Mutant having plenty of life left.
This one is worth an update. I'm still wearing the Mutant, and it is fine. The original was just about impossible to thread the zipper, due to a zipper that was already fraying when I got the suit (which I bought online, would not have bought due to the issue if I'd seen it in person first). Anyway, O'Neill was easy enough to deal with, and replaced the zipper quickly.

Now that I've gotten used to it (and have a working zipper) it's not that bad to thread the zipper. I don't love the design but it is not a deal breaker. And, the suit is nice and warm.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I'm a little O'Neill gun shy. I bought a 5/4 Technowhatever hooded and although it's a nice flexible suit, it's not as warm as I'd like so I think it will pretty much serve as my hooded 4/3.

Thanks for the update.
This one is worth an update. I'm still wearing the Mutant, and it is fine. The original was just about impossible to thread the zipper, due to a zipper that was already fraying when I got the suit (which I bought online, would not have bought due to the issue if I'd seen it in person first). Anyway, O'Neill was easy enough to deal with, and replaced the zipper quickly.

Now that I've gotten used to it (and have a working zipper) it's not that bad to thread the zipper. I don't love the design but it is not a deal breaker. And, the suit is nice and warm.

Reactions: ReForest

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I really like O'neill, but for whatever reason their hoods don't fit me, so I'm constantly getting flushed, no bueno. If I'm getting a suit with an attached hood, Buells work the best for me. By the way I think the Mutant is a great suit despite the zipper, and minus the hood.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I really like O'neill, but for whatever reason their hoods don't fit me, so I'm constantly getting flushed, no bueno. If I'm getting a suit with an attached hood, Buells work the best for me. By the way I think the Mutant is a great suit despite the zipper, and minus the hood.
What if you went down a size with the Mutant hood?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
techno blubber on my mutant developed another tear down by the ankle. DId a mend with wetsuit glue and we'll see how it holds up. I think they need to consider another material in that area where it's stressed a lot. A buddy of mine had his ankle rip too.

Reactions: oeste858

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
@rgruber Might look at Cyber's Japanese website (as well as US) They have some nice cold water options on semi customs. Rubber is the best I've had, if I surfed NE or PNW I'd spend the extra to be warm(er) just ordered a new 4.3 for myself. App. 6 weeks lead time.
have you ever heard of cyber doing hooded suits? I want to cop one but don't see them on either site. I've had a couple cyber (non-hooded) suits in the past and they were t!ts

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
What if you went down a size with the Mutant hood?
I have from XXL, to XL, and the issue with the hood is still the same. I do think they are great suits, but after I getting my ears chiseled, I'm kind of a hood freak now. For whatever reason the hooded Buells just fit and work the best for me, or get an 2mill xcel hood, then whatever suit you like the best?

Reactions: jkb and chilly1

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
My friend bought the liquid sealed thermal need essentials 4/3 hooded and loves it. Said it’s super warm. He’s old and bald and surfs in Cardiff usually pre dawn and he is toasty. I can’t vouch for the suit personally but he said comfort and quality is great

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
what's a good hood? my oneill psycho keeps flushing. xcel better?

i'm pretty much always gonna surf with a hood now
Never liked wearing hood prefer plugs but when needed for colder water still year later find my 'bong furnace hood really nice and comfy and keeps water out of your eyes.

Reactions: Havoc

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Out of curiosity, are you a non-skinny dude? I am a skinny person, I tried a Buell hooded suit on and while the suit looked great on the hanger, it did not come close to fitting me. I remember thinking: this brand must be for the power lifter types.

O'Neill on the other hand fits great, though at 6' 175lb I wear a M, much smaller than the sizing chart indicates.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I'm big boned, so both brands fit me better, Hotline as well. For me the Buells check all the boxes, and the price is right, I am curious about the new Dakine suits though.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
have you ever heard of cyber doing hooded suits? I want to cop one but don't see them on either site. I've had a couple cyber (non-hooded) suits in the past and they were t!ts
Yes, Cyber does hooded suits. I have one that has a removable neck/hood like an Oneill Mutant.

I don't like Cybers hood design, however. The hood is way too big for me and the drawstring sticks out at my cheek, always in my line of sight. Annoying. I end up just using my Oneill hood with it instead......which works perfect.

Mar 1, 2010
i was thinking the opposite since i've switched to oneill.. my suit is always bone dry inside.. never get flushed with the hood.. fits tighter then xcels that i always got flushed with

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
Buell 4/3 hooded is my choice. Good fit, good price, and so far, durable.