Good hooded 4/3?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Looking to replace my old hooded 4/3 Drylock. It's probably 5 years old and was a great suit. Now the wrist seals are shreded and won't stay down over gloves and it's lost some warmth. The newer Drylocks I've bought kinda suck so I'm over Xcel. Looking for a new hooded 4/3. Prefer one with smoothskin on front and back as when I'm wearing a hooded 4/3 it's usually windy and cold. Thinking maybe a Mutant but think I might get frustrated with the zipper not being connected (have to thread it each time). I think they stopped making the 4/3 Psycho Tech or I'd probaby be all over that. Use case in northeast, windy cold days. With either the air or the water in the high 40s/low 50s. Basically now through New Years when I need to bust out the 5/4.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Looking to replace my old hooded 4/3 Drylock. It's probably 5 years old and was a great suit. Now the wrist seals are shreded and won't stay down over gloves and it's lost some warmth. The newer Drylocks I've bought kinda suck so I'm over Xcel. Looking for a new hooded 4/3. Prefer one with smoothskin on front and back as when I'm wearing a hooded 4/3 it's usually windy and cold. Thinking maybe a Mutant but think I might get frustrated with the zipper not being connected (have to thread it each time). I think they stopped making the 4/3 Psycho Tech or I'd probaby be all over that. Use case in northeast, windy cold days. With either the air or the water in the high 40s/low 50s. Basically now through New Years when I need to bust out the 5/4.
If you can get over no smooth skin and rely on inner fabric to block wind and keep warm the 'Bong furnace comp is a nicely built, warm, and flexible suit. I switch my suits around often so only time well tell if its long lasting "2nd season" .

Reactions: sjlist

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System

please read through all 3094 posts and report back what you find. :bricks:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
What's your budget?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I keep hoping Rip Curl will bring back its 4/3 with a removable hood. The 4/3 Insulator with removable hood was the best suit ever. Bonus for those of us with shoulder issues is that this suit was one of the easiest ever cold water suits to get in and out of. Rip Curl if you read this please bring this suit back.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I can't seem to find a hooded Psycho Tech 4/3. Not sure if they stopped making or are just out but no one has them. Not on the O'neill website at all.

I was thinking about the Mutant but I think threading the zipper every time would annoy me as I've become used to the Drylock permanently threaded zippers.

I would be open to custom or one of the fancy japanese rubber brands as long as it's really warm even when it's windy. Last time I tried something different was a 4/3 Matuse which was a disaster. Like a not very warm 3/2 and the wind went right through it. Their patches of smooth skin were tiny and ineffective.

Offshore winds here are cold so also hesitate to go with a non-smoothy top.

o'neill psycho tech hooded 4/3.

I have the Isurus and the oneil and the o'neil is warmer in the really cold.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@rgruber Might look at Cyber's Japanese website (as well as US) They have some nice cold water options on semi customs. Rubber is the best I've had, if I surfed NE or PNW I'd spend the extra to be warm(er) just ordered a new 4.3 for myself. App. 6 weeks lead time.

Reactions: jkb

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
I can't seem to find a hooded Psycho Tech 4/3. Not sure if they stopped making or are just out but no one has them. Not on the O'neill website at all.

I was thinking about the Mutant but I think threading the zipper every time would annoy me as I've become used to the Drylock permanently threaded zippers.
I couldn't find a hooded 4/3 Psycho Tech and replaced mine with a Mutant. I *hate* the Mutant and am about to give up on it - 100% due to the issue of threading the zipper. It's just way too difficult to do, and I've failed to manage to suit up without help. I also sent the suit back to O'neill as the zipper was fraying right where the zipper car threads on. They replaced the zipper and the new one is just as bad.

I'm thinking of pickup up a Feral hooded 5/4/3 despite the Mutant having plenty of life left.

Reactions: ReForest

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
That was my suspicion about the Mutant, particularly because if I'm wearing a hooded 4/3 it's cold out and I might have gloves on and I either am anxious to get in the water or get the hell of my suit.

I'm happy to have hooded and a non hooded 4/3 as I used 4/3s a lot and it's nice to have a dry one so the convertible aspect isn't too compelling.

Currently I have 3- a newish 4/3 Drylock with a leaky crotch, a 5 year old 4/3 hooded Drylock where the wrists are shot and won't stay over my left glove but it's still marginally functional and a Vissla something that's also pretty old but warm enough and even bulkier and less flexible than the Drylocks.

Hoping maybe Oneill is just out of stock on the Psycho Tech 4/3 hooded otherwise I guess I'll go Isurus or Cyber but I'm kinda of inclined to go big name wetsuits as I tend to rotate and replace them but maybe with the fancy suits I'll do this less.

I couldn't find a hooded 4/3 Psycho Tech and replaced mine with a Mutant. I *hate* the Mutant and am about to give up on it - 100% due to the issue of threading the zipper. It's just way too difficult to do, and I've failed to manage to suit up without help. I also sent the suit back to O'neill as the zipper was fraying right where the zipper car threads on. They replaced the zipper and the new one is just as bad.

I'm thinking of pickup up a Feral hooded 5/4/3 despite the Mutant having plenty of life left.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That was my suspicion about the Mutant, particularly because if I'm wearing a hooded 4/3 it's cold out and I might have gloves on and I either am anxious to get in the water or get the hell of my suit.

I'm happy to have hooded and a non hooded 4/3 as I used 4/3s a lot and it's nice to have a dry one so the convertible aspect isn't too compelling.

Currently I have 3- a newish 4/3 Drylock with a leaky crotch, a 5 year old 4/3 hooded Drylock where the wrists are shot and won't stay over my left glove but it's still marginally functional and a Vissla something that's also pretty old but warm enough and even bulkier and less flexible than the Drylocks.

Hoping maybe Oneill is just out of stock on the Psycho Tech 4/3 hooded otherwise I guess I'll go Isurus or Cyber but I'm kinda of inclined to go big name wetsuits as I tend to rotate and replace them but maybe with the fancy suits I'll do this less.
Best bet is cleanline but only see 5/4 right now:shaka:

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Same, and given that the Mutant is a warm 3.5/4.5, I have even less desire to run it without a hood.

Hoping maybe Oneill is just out of stock on the Psycho Tech 4/3 hooded
My suspicion is that they collapsed the Psycotech Hooded 4/3 and the newest Mutant. The current Mutant uses the TB3 rubber, same as the Psycho Tech, and has the same or similar skinwall chest and back panels. Previous Mutants used a different rubber. Since the newest Mutant and the Pyscho Tech hooded 4/3 only seem to differ in the removable hood, my guess is that there is no more Psycho Tech hooded 4/3. Who knows though?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yeah I bet that's the case unfortunately.

I emailed them, see if they reply.

My suspicion is that they collapsed the Psycotech Hooded 4/3 and the newest Mutant. The current Mutant uses the TB3 rubber, same as the Psycho Tech, and has the same or similar skinwall chest and back panels. Previous Mutants used a different rubber. Since the newest Mutant and the Pyscho Tech hooded 4/3 only seem to differ in the removable hood, my guess is that there is no more Psycho Tech hooded 4/3. Who knows though?

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I've had two Mutants. One was right before they switched to full butter and 2nd is full butter.
Honestly the zipper isn't too bad. A little annoying but no worse then other suits where you have to thread the zipper.
Just don't get the Hyperfreak if your set on ONeill. Super flexible but no bueno with NY winds.