Good 3/2 with smoothskin

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Lots of days this time of year water is still warm, in the 60s, but air temps are dipping into the low 50s with strong offshore (north where I am) winds.

Generally like Xcel's but I go from the Comp suits which are thin and flexy and not especially warm for 3/2 and under to the Drylocks in 4/3 and above.

I don't like the 3/2 Drylocks as they are overbuilt for a 3/2 and feel pretty heavy.

Looking for another brand for a solid 3/2 with a lot of smoothskin for the wind but that is still light and flexy. I'm a good fit in a medum Xcel, 5'10/160, standard surfer build with broad shoulders and narrow waist and a medium fits perfectly.

Haven't worn other brands in 20+ years. In my recolllection, Rip Curls were thinner and more flexible but fell apart and O'Neills were warmer and thicker but had no room for your balls. I always suspected Jack O'Neill lost more than an eye based on design of the wetsuits.

Suggestions?

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
You don't like the look of those newer xcel infinitis? Been thinking of getting one those those in a 3/2. My 5/4 is actually pretty nice and I picked it up for super cheap. Also been considering a cheap o'neill original to save cash for my 4/3s or 5/4. I am a similar size and build as you and I have found medium X'cel, O'neill and Feral suits to fit the best.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I wish Xcel wouldn't do that vertical butt seam. That is always the first to go in mine.

Reactions: jkb

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Funny I bought new 4/3 and 5/4 Drylocks las year and both seem like they have leak in the butt. It's not the seam which is intact as much as the area around the seam seems like it stretches and become water permeable. Like the seam is stronger than the rest of the material. My older Drylocks don't do this.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Funny I bought new 4/3 and 5/4 Drylocks las year and both seem like they have leak in the butt. It's not the seam which is intact as much as the area around the seam seems like it stretches and become water permeable. Like the seam is stronger than the rest of the material. My older Drylocks don't do this.
Yes, this has happened on all my newer xcels. It might be due to that narrower tape - or like you said, the material just becomes permeable.

Otherwise I love the suits. They’re comfy, fit well and would be warm without the leaks. Trying to send the newest one back for warranty but no response from xcel.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
All of my wetsuits, new and old, would be warm if they didn’t leak.

But, xcel takes the cake for leaks.

mine leaked on the second session right at the crotch. thought I found and sealed it only to have a billion more pop up on subsequent sessions.

only wetsuit I’ve owned worse than xcel was patagucci. Seams didn’t leak but it flushed so often it didn’t matter, the suit was always full of cold water.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
sucks, xcel didn't used to be this way.

last two oneils (aside from my 2mil hyperfreak) didn't leak at all until a majority of the way through the second season.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
got a 4/3 last yr. happy with it. not super warm on par withbxcel drydock but more flexible n no leaks
cool thanks. I have a mutant for the colder days so I'm thinking I don't need a super warm 4/3. Will probably end up with another psycho I.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Lots of days this time of year water is still warm, in the 60s, but air temps are dipping into the low 50s with strong offshore (north where I am) winds.

Generally like Xcel's but I go from the Comp suits which are thin and flexy and not especially warm for 3/2 and under to the Drylocks in 4/3 and above.

I don't like the 3/2 Drylocks as they are overbuilt for a 3/2 and feel pretty heavy.

Looking for another brand for a solid 3/2 with a lot of smoothskin for the wind but that is still light and flexy. I'm a good fit in a medum Xcel, 5'10/160, standard surfer build with broad shoulders and narrow waist and a medium fits perfectly.

Haven't worn other brands in 20+ years. In my recolllection, Rip Curls were thinner and more flexible but fell apart and O'Neills were warmer and thicker but had no room for your balls. I always suspected Jack O'Neill lost more than an eye based on design of the wetsuits.

Suggestions?
I've been looking too. Haven't bought a new 3/2 in a couple years and I recently moved and threw out all my old ratty suits since I needed new ones anyways.

Is it just me or is there not a lot of inventory out there right now? Local shops seems low in stock considering now is the time everyone who needs a new suit is gonna be looking. Same with online, even on the manufacturers websites...little in stock, slim pickings with sizes, etc.

I'll probably just end up getting a Vissla from one of the local shops, since they seem decent enough for Florida and always seem to be in stock.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Covid probably upset the wetsuit supply chain and it hasn't caught up yet. I know it's had this effect on other industries.

I'm disappointed Xcel has gotten worse but for 4/3s and 5/4s I always hear people say "not as warm as Drylock but" and when water is in high 30's or low 40's I kind of stop at the "not as warm" part. I can deal with a little cold water on my ass when there's snow on the ground and there's a frigid wind blowing if my torso is pretty warm.

Would be happy to entertain other options but I still see the lineups near me dominated by Xcel in winter.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
For the money I’d buy another O’Neill Heat. Slick skin front and back, firewall insulation on the chest and back, and slick sealed throughout, although not sure I like it on the inside of the body, when they put it on the outside of the legs / arms..??..

Surf an average of once a week and always do a fresh water dunk of the suit. I’m sure many guys would be way harder on their gear + use it more but I’ve had the suit over 10 years now and keep it as a backup / warmer water 3/2. Yes it leaks, my new Pshyco1 reminds me how much better a new suit can be, but for <$300 the Heat was a great suit. O’Neill’s just fit me too, even if they do occasionally vacuum seal my crotch.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
jeez you're picky. did you ever pull the trigger on a new coffee maker after 10 pages of recs??
Get a Vissla and be done with it. Good value for the price

I'm going to get this zipper less 4/3