Go to Los Angeles and you will die…

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the next step is that you will need to be buzzed in to a business to shop

possibly having to show ID

in the future, you'll have an ID and payment system already triggered when you walk in to a business and then walk out with merchandise. no more cash register interactions.

that's an easy premise to exclude people...

if you don't have ID or payment that the RFID system can read, you can't come in

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

in the future, you'll have an ID and payment system already triggered when you walk in to a business and then walk out with merchandise. no more cash register interactions.

if you don't have ID or payment that the RFID system can read, you can't come in
Desperate times call for desperate measures!

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

Sounds like going to my local weed store

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I only comment on what you say here, in this thread. You dismiss the miserable conditions that non-white people live in in Los Angeles as media hype. That's bullshit and you know it.
I see that your ideological tunnel vision makes it near impossible for you to understand what I'm saying. That's fine. :shaka:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The "Defund" movement was largely symbolic. However we did see that in Seattle and Minneapolis, and it was a trainwreck.
We saw it in Minneapolis? When?

This thread is hilarious. Go to a place run by Republicans - I suggest Jacksonville, which has more than double LA's murder rate, or Oklahoma City.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
We saw it in Minneapolis?
There was some shifting of funds and other political measures and yes, crime has increased.

"Earlier unsuccessful efforts to overhaul the city police department underscore the tumultuous politics — and confusion — surrounding the ballot amendment. In June 2020, a majority of city councilmembers signed a pledge to dismantle the police department but the initiative fizzled by September after a number of them backed away from their pledges "

This thread is hilarious. Go to a place run by Republicans - I suggest Jacksonville, which has more than double LA's murder rate, or Oklahoma City.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
The question is how are police and prosecutors dealing with those criminals? It's basically become a hands off approach in Seattle, Portland, and SF.

That said, I don't want to live in a city where either party is in power.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There was some shifting of funds and other political measures and yes, crime has increased.

"Earlier unsuccessful efforts to overhaul the city police department underscore the tumultuous politics — and confusion — surrounding the ballot amendment. In June 2020, a majority of city councilmembers signed a pledge to dismantle the police department but the initiative fizzled by September after a number of them backed away from their pledges "

The question is how are police and prosecutors dealing with those criminals? It's basically become a hands off approach in Seattle, Portland, and SF.

That said, I don't want to live in a city where either party is in power.
Lad, the whole shitshow has had violent crime increasing. It's not like Minneapolis or LA or Oklahoma City are outliers.

You know how prosecutors in Ala-fucking-bama deal with criminals? They can't lock 'em up fast enough and the powers-that-be are all-in, with the electorate's approval, on building a shitload more jails.

Is it safer than Chicago in Birmingham? Fuck no, it's not.

If there was some sort of correlation between policy and result I might see where you're coming from. Portland, LA, and SF are peaceful Gardens of Eden compared to the Central/Eastern Time Zone murder holes. They just are.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If there was some sort of correlation between policy and result I might see where you're coming from. Portland, LA, and SF are peaceful Gardens of Eden compared to the Central/Eastern Time Zone murder holes. They just are.
Agreed, and you mentioned several cities where the system simply cannot manage the amount of criminal activity. There's a huge difference between that and cities that choose not to enforce the law because they are "quality of life" crimes.

Reactions: afoaf

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Lad, the whole shitshow has had violent crime increasing. It's not like Minneapolis or LA or Oklahoma City are outliers.

You know how prosecutors in Ala-fucking-bama deal with criminals? They can't lock 'em up fast enough and the powers-that-be are all-in, with the electorate's approval, on building a shitload more jails.

Is it safer than Chicago in Birmingham? fook no, it's not.

Jefferson County, AL is Somewhat liberal. In Jefferson County, AL 55.8% of the people voted Democrat in the last presidential election, 42.6% voted for the Republican Party, and the remaining 1.6% voted Independent.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
I always yell at the students, "Don't go by what I say! Go by what I mean!" :cursing:
LOL. After a few days away from this post, I did want to clarify my thoughts. I was getting at three things:

1. The anti-Democrat guys (Republican cheerleaders like VM and fearless freethinking centrists like Duffman) are so rigid in their world views that they're unable to remove the signal from the noise. The same happens for people on the left and I've most definitely fallen victim to it too.

In this case, they are looking at purposely fear-inducing news headlines "increase in crime!" and political statements from LAPD detectives (as unbiased a source as you can find I'm sure) "we can't protect you" and attributing 100% blame to Democratic party policy decisions that they don't like. Of course, this increase in crime is coming on the heels of all-time low crime rates and many of the 2021 numbers remain below 2019 levels, and Sharkbiscuit did a good job of pointing out that the trend simply cannot be explained by "defunding the police" alone.

They are also so stuck in their "Democrat bad" automatic thinking that they can't comprehend that by pointing out that they are drawing motivated conclusions I am not defending the policies that they hate.

2. I don't think VM is a dumb guy at all (an asshole for sure, but not dumb) so it's fascinating watching this motivated reasoning and automatic thinking take hold of him the same way that it does for some of the brain dead posters here. We are all susceptible to it.

3. I like to poke fun at the double standard people who clutch pearls about Covid-related government overreach have about police-related government overreach. I would be much more empathetic to the mask crybabies if so many of them weren't fans of the authoritarian police state. Libertarianism for me, authoritarianism for thee.

I also enjoy poking fun at 805 residents who talk about their towns turning into "LA-style" sh!t holes and then describing conditions in their areas that are worse than anything I see here. It's a consistent trend. It's ok to lament the decline of your towns without blaming it on LA I promise.

:shaka:

• Love
Reactions: afoaf and Autoprax

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
LOL. After a few days away from this post, I did want to clarify my thoughts. I was getting at three things:

1. The anti-Democrat guys (Republican cheerleaders like VM and fearless freethinking centrists like Duffman) are so rigid in their world views that they're unable to remove the signal from the noise. The same happens for people on the left and I've most definitely fallen victim to it too.

In this case, they are looking at purposely fear-inducing news headlines "increase in crime!" and political statements from LAPD detectives (as unbiased a source as you can find I'm sure) "we can't protect you" and attributing 100% blame to Democratic party policy decisions that they don't like. Of course, this increase in crime is coming on the heels of all-time low crime rates and many of the 2021 numbers remain below 2019 levels, and Sharkbiscuit did a good job of pointing out that the trend simply cannot be explained by "defunding the police" alone.

They are also so stuck in their "Democrat bad" automatic thinking that they can't comprehend that by pointing out that they are drawing motivated conclusions I am not defending the policies that they hate.

2. I don't think VM is a dumb guy at all (an asshole for sure, but not dumb) so it's fascinating watching this motivated reasoning and automatic thinking take hold of him the same way that it does for some of the brain dead posters here. We are all susceptible to it.

3. I like to poke fun at the double standard people who clutch pearls about Covid-related government overreach have about police-related government overreach. I would be much more empathetic to the mask crybabies if so many of them weren't fans of the authoritarian police state. Libertarianism for me, authoritarianism for thee.

I also enjoy poking fun at 805 residents who talk about their towns turning into "LA-style" sh!t holes and then describing conditions in their areas that are worse than anything I see here. It's a consistent trend. It's ok to lament the decline of your towns without blaming it on LA I promise.

:shaka:
California passed a law reducing penalties for crime and decriminalizing many other former crimes. Los Angeles County does not prosecute many crimes. Police make arrests, issue a notice to appear because they aren't allowed to hold people in jail anymore and the prosecutors fail to prosecute. It takes some real mental gymnastics and a healthy dose of dishonesty to conclude that this isn't the recipe for increased crime.

Add the complete lawlessness going on in the areas where the homeless are concentrated and the conditions are right for festering crime.

For a city its size LA has a fairly small but increasing murder rate. A lions share of the rising crime are the crimes of opportunity. Snatch and grab, armed robbery burglary etc. Community policing and broken window policies would change LA over night. You have to keep people moving and prosecute the predators.

My town is perfectly safe. There aren't any homeless camps..maybe a couple wandering around but it isn't comfortable for them. Street camping in cars and old campers is still illegal so we don't have issues with the mobile landfills. The most drama we've had here is in neighboring Calabasas when a couple was pistol whipped and robbed coming out of a restaurant. You know..totally normal behavior. All the police agencies in Ventura County up to but not including Ventura take policing seriously. They aren't fucking around here and the crime statistics show it. Oxnard was a pretty rough place growing up but now the mostly hispanic neighborhoods all throughout the center of town are predominately occupier owned and the city center is thriving. This is because people began to feel safe in their neighborhoods and civic pride began to develop. It begins and ends with safety.

Reactions: PRCD

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It will have to get worse before there is an outcry to get tough on crime.

I thought it would be a cholera outbreak started by the homeless that killed some rich folk in Del Mar.

That is what we need.

Some really rich people need to sh!t themselves to death

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
A lions share of the rising crime are the crimes of opportunity. Snatch and grab, armed robbery burglary etc.
Again, you're talking about a rise from all-time lows in a year when people were sitting at home getting free checks from the government. You are reading more articles about these types of crimes than ever before I'm sure, but rates are sitting well below their 5 year averages. Look back at that average on a longer timeframe beyond 5 years and crime is down BIGLY.

You of course like to ignore the downsides to the types of policing that you prefer as well. That's fine, I wouldn't expect anything more from someone whose entire world view can be boiled down to "Democrats bad, Republicans good."

Reactions: afoaf

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Again, you're talking about a rise from all-time lows in a year when people were sitting at home getting free checks from the government. You are reading more articles about these types of crimes than ever before I'm sure, but rates are sitting well below their 5 year averages. Look back at that average on a longer timeframe beyond 5 years and crime is down BIGLY.

You of course like to ignore the downsides to the types of policing that you prefer as well. That's fine, I wouldn't expect anything more from someone whose entire world view can be boiled down to "Democrats bad, Republicans good."
Why would it matter where crime rose from? That's politicians logic. Crime is rising and it's not reflected in the numbers because a ton of it goes unreported because the police don't show up in time to process it. Los Angeles is mayhem right now.

There are no downsides to prosecuting crime, even if it means offending criminals or their apologists. Laws are on the books for a reason.