Go Foil 4.0

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Yuuuuuuuuuuup!...the SPEEDof the little sumbeach is unbelievable!...im addicted to the speed...as long as you keep it running i think it builds more lift than the GL210 or the GL180...and still controllable in the steep sections...

the control is the biggest hurdle so far as to why no foilers have gotten barrelled yet....we tried it at threes on Oahu last month and once the wave goes square theres too much lift is really difficult to control...but this GL140 is gonna be the wing to do it i think...cant wait to go back to maui and ride that break in the middle of the harbor out by the red bouy...that wave jacks and would be perfect!....Alex is a Friken GENUIS!

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hey guys, any chance you could measure the 140 up?....just span & chord would be great, I have those glider wings arriving soon, might be able to fit 2 wings in.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Yuuuuuuuuuuup!...the SPEEDof the little sumbeach is unbelievable!...im addicted to the speed...as long as you keep it running i think it builds more lift than the GL210 or the GL180...and still controllable in the steep sections...

the control is the biggest hurdle so far as to why no foilers have gotten barrelled yet....we tried it at threes on Oahu last month and once the wave goes square theres too much lift is really difficult to control...but this GL140 is gonna be the wing to do it i think...cant wait to go back to maui and ride that break in the middle of the harbor out by the red bouy...that wave jacks and would be perfect!....Alex is a Friken GENUIS!
I’m not at all saying I got foilshacked here, but when I started out I had a Slingshot H2 bolted to heavy 6’ poly beast of my own construction.

The whole setup was ridiculously heavy and the H2 was a tiny, pretty HA wing. In general I wasn’t having a good time. I was also a phase where my surfing instincts came to the surface anytime they weren’t needed......like going into tube-tuck instead of popping the onto the foil.

I attempted to foil a beachie a couple of times that threw little barrels. I found I could take off and drag the board through a slow low bottom turn without really getting on the foil and tuck into the pocket. It was pretty easy in pigdog stance too. All it would have taken is one of those flukey backwash lips and I would’ve been technically barreled.

Small, efficient wing, short mast and very small stab (so stab and wing aren’t fighting each other in different parts or the wave), I reckon it could be done at the right venue. Imagine getting thrown into the blender if you went up and over though....oooohh.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Ok took it out with the F One 4.2 in some fair to decent wind conditions this afternoon. I was on a 5'10 production Kalama SUP, GL140 and Iwa tail. Had to work abit to get it going. But once up it was very fast. Interesting riding it through the chop and swell, when tacking I breached at least 4 times before I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Was passing the wing between hands and not watching where I was going. I was mowing over bumps and would over foil when I'd hit a steep section not dropping the foil deeper in the water. The thing would want to lift when it hit the little speed downhills. I figured out the issue finally and make my tack before switching hands so I could watch the water.

But this wing is better for stronger wind and bigger surf IMO.

Going to give my 180 a go tomorrow, that's what Alex rides all the time and makes sense. I give a feedback on that one as well. But for now the GL140 is going to be my all arounder in the surf for sure.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Hey Kaser,

If I were to buy the 180 and 140 wings, would they fit on the fuselage I bought from you? Sounds like its worth the investment.

Still surprised we are not hearing more about MFC since they are based right there on your island. But I guess GF has been outpacing them in design?

Reactions: Kaser1

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Hey Kaser,

If I were to buy the 180 and 140 wings, would they fit on the fuselage I bought from you? Sounds like its worth the investment.

Still surprised we are not hearing more about MFC since they are based right there on your island. But I guess GF has been outpacing them in design?
I think so, I'd recommend messaging Karla or Alex at Go Foil to be sure. I think the cup or female part of the wing should fit, they also made the GL screw hole not round but more oval to allow for some variance.

You can use some metal tape on the male part to act as a shim that works good too if it's loose.

Regarding the MFC foils, I think they priced themselves out of the market from the beginning and they also released later than everyone else. They look really nice and I know of only 1 or maybe 2 people here that have/like the MFC setup. I hear they're very sensitive and not very forgiving.

Jan 22, 2005
Bump back to the top -

Anymore feedback on the GL 140 and 180? Since this topic went cold, I'm assuming the foils works so well, everyone is out foiling and stopped writing about them

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Bump back to the top -

Anymore feedback on the GL 140 and 180? Since this topic went cold, I'm assuming the foils works so well, everyone is out foiling and stopped writing about them
My bro just got a 180. He was on Gong, and Moses low aspect stuff. He mostly wings but has proned the 180 in good surf. He’s 80kg. He’s in love.

I have the 210 and now I think about the 180 when I’m in the shower.

140 can’t tell you but I’m super keen to try one. I’ll check back in when I get a go on the 180.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Hey, one of you GL140 lovers ... could you tell how thick the wing is at its widest point (beside the fuselage connection). Merci in advance if you can help.