Go Foil 4.0

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I've seen testing of new wing beyond the new GL and the feedback is extremely positive. After talking with Dave this week out in the water he's kinda lost his marbles on this new design. I've not seen him this giddy in a while. Said it's so far beyond what we've been riding, "it's rediculous".

I'd expect these to go into production very soon. If I get a chance to test I'll let you all know.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's trip how they keep innovating.

It's like air craft design.

I notice guys foiling behind boats on tiny wakes with huge wings.

The wings just need a tiny bit of energy to go.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm assuming it's something like a mid-aspect. Or possibly the High aspect, but not flat, it has the down curve like the surf wings? (dihedral?)

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
i dont know if the GL140 is what you were talking about but....

hooooooleeeeee sheeeeoooot!!!!...this sumbeach is stinkin FASSSSST!...Jesus H!..i cant believe how fast this damn GL140 is...and the CONTROL!...

i just got it yesterday and took it to c.st this evening...took off.on a shoulder high set wave at top of the point...very steep...bery quick...on a normal board it wouldve been a takeoff sideways to barrel on takeoff...on a foil ProneBoard it was wave break on the back of the head and get ready to get pitched over the falls...but i stood up anyway...didnt get pitched...made the drop with the board flat on the water...popped it.up airborne.
.bottom turn and the curl.is WAY down the line already...point it down range and pull the trigger...pump pump pump... and zzzoooom...im THERE !

MAN this sucker is fast!...never EVER going back to the IWA wing again...GL140 is on my prone board to stay!

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
i dont know if the GL140 is what you were talking about but....

hooooooleeeeee sheeeeoooot!!!!...this sumbeach is stinkin FASSSSST!...Jesus H!..i cant believe how fast this damn GL140 is...and the CONTROL!...

i just got it yesterday and took it to c.st this evening...took off.on a shoulder high set wave at top of the point...very steep...bery quick...on a normal board it wouldve been a takeoff sideways to barrel on takeoff...on a foil ProneBoard it was wave break on the back of the head and get ready to get pitched over the falls...but i stood up anyway...didnt get pitched...made the drop with the board flat on the water...popped it.up airborne.
.bottom turn and the curl.is WAY down the line already...point it down range and pull the trigger...pump pump pump... and zzzoooom...im THERE !

MAN this sucker is fast!...never EVER going back to the IWA wing again...GL140 is on my prone board to stay!

pics and video asap plz.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Interesting that it works for you at 250#. Seems like high aspect ratio is the new setup for the rippers. I have my HA wing on order. Now I just have to learn how to foil.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Interesting that it works for you at 250#. Seems like high aspect ratio is the new setup for the rippers. I have my HA wing on order. Now I just have to learn how to foil.
High aspect has changed things for me completely. Like shrinking the lineup. More speed, less work I’m ending up at different breaks or sending it waay out the back to swoop on looming sets.

So good.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I haven’t ridden the 140 or 180 but at 175lb I could pretty safely go down to the GL180 for my whole prone pump/surf routine.
I’m pretty sure the 210 will be a bit better for me with the handkite and my next foray into downwinding, but I’m looking jealously at the smaller ones. 140 looks like a beast for surf.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
165lbs
Prone
Gl140 or 180???
I'm 198'ish, I have tried the 180 and 210 prone surf. Keep in mind these were protos and the production ones have more curve at the tips. I liked the 210 better for pumping out, 180 was slippery faster, and haven't tried the 140 yet. I now have the new thicker mast so I don't thing the wing will be twisting/flexing like my old mast which was my biggest complaint surfing the flat wings.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
the GL210 is a pumping machine...itll pump across the pacific easy...you can fly too high and breach...lose all.your speed and splash down...and with just the residual momentum stomp it backup and get airborne again and keep going...it covers up your mistakes really well...BUT...on a pronenboard if you try and ride anything over head high...and do any steep face takeoffs or whip.it under the lip.in a cutback or heaven forbid an off the top and itll BUCK you the hell off...HARD...

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
the GL180 ....will pump like the 210 as long as you keep it moving FAST...which is not a problem because it wants to go fast already...it does not do well at.slow speeds which means its a struggle to takeoff.on unbroken wells that do not have any steepness in the face...pumping into rolling swells.is a challenge...just don't slow down and it'll flyyyyyy...in fact as long as you.keep it moving fast i think it makes MORE lift than the GL210...i had to move my footstraps 1 hole more foreword and the mast 1/2 inch back in the tracks just to keep the nose down...it's not scarred of overhead waves and you can whip it under the lip and still control it in the pocket.no problem...see all the derekhamasaki pics...the GL180 is going to be my GO To wing from now on..

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
the GL140 really doesnt like slow speeds...which is good because the little sucker is like chained lightning itself if youngive it a wave to work with...for lighter guys it might be ok but my 240# rode it in 1 to 2 foot.malibu today and the 2 footers were fine but the 1 footers were a struggle to stay airborne....just not enough UMMPH! in the waves to keep me moving fast enough...in had to.keep pumping down the line in order to keep airborne otherwise the wing would stall and cavitate and splash down on the 1 footers...what it does have is SPEED and super control....i took it to ventura point stables yesterday and 3rd point malibu today right at the point...dropping tide...steep...wedgy and fast quick takeoffs...got a couple of waves that would have been a barrell on takeoff on a normal shortboard....on a foil normally would be a try to bellyboard it to the bottom and try the stand up. in the whitewater and end up getting bucked off..
instead i got to.my feet and was able to ride it down to the bottom embedded in the lip...get airborne...bottom turn and shoot down the line and beat sections that never would have even considered on the other wings...itll still.pump 2 and 3 for 1s but you gotta work for it and concentrate to keep the SPEED....also itll do anything you tell it to on the face and in the whitewater without getting bucky at all....rebound off the foamball no problem...bottom turn to off the lip easy...off the lip through the whitewater. COOL...i dont even need a clean face to surf anymore...now.its fun to ridethe whitewaterwith the GL140...for me its going to be my chest high waves and bigger wing mostly because its so.much FUN to go really FAST!...

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Wholly Mole'ly, got my GL140 2 days ago, tried it first time yesterday.

Hands down, best wing I've ridden in the surf. Turns quicker than the Iwa, flies faster and more efficient than any wing I've been on, and you can even pump it out to get 2 for 1.

I was in soft waist to nipple hi surf, on a 5'10 SUP with some volume. Can only imagine what a small prone board is going to do.

We're getting trades back today, going to try with the F One wing later to day and give feedback. My guess is this thing gonna go super speed.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
GL140 Update...

Met up with DK at the harbor, he let me try his 5'2" proner (I sold mine) he just made, slapped on the 140 with the Iwa tail...man that setup is a good combo!

Took a minute to find the sweet spot using a bigger board, but it clicked after a wave or 2.

Took a wave half way, turned out with speed, and pumped to the outside, going over 3 waves of an oncoming set, and picked the last one to turn around on. Stepping on the gas while pumping out once I saw the one I wanted, was accelerating on the pump out when I got my power stroke going.

I'm also now a believer in the Tuttle box instead of the tracks. Putting the power down to the wing without any flex is what I'm noticing. Thinking back I really didn't move my mast THAT much with my tracks. I think the positive feeling is a definate plus.

That's all...

Almost...P.S. going to try wing foiling on the 140 this afternoon. Update coming.

Reactions: Clamsmasher