Gliders....

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I think an 8 foot twinzer would be a blast at a beachbreak
had a 7'10 monster fish ytpe oftwinzer thing...was definite fun. had a gnarly chine rail. ordered her too thick and probably shoudl ahve gone down to 7'6. then again...i think the board was doomed for me...i'm better off riding some kind of short stubby on those gutless days.

DSCF2164.JPGDSCF2165.JPGDSCF2166.JPG

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
The guy who runs that shop, Mark, is a cool dude. Lots of stock in that shop. I think he can hook up orders on Mabile's too.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
No experience with a glider but all the talk getting me mildly curious. Enlighten me...
So, you ride them from mid to tail and just let the board go?
Many seem to have a pointed nose so I guess they're not meant for any tip time?
Apparently work in tiny dribblers and big point surf?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Reactions: retodd and JDJ

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've been considering all sorts of new frontiers, including Gliders. Other thoughts were big shortboards, any variety of mids (singles, twins, other), one of those channel bottom twin round pins fools are making, a log.

Coming off of an injury it would be nice to hop on something with some beef to slow my approach down, paddle more when it's shitty, and feel something different.

The problems are storage (I live in a 3rd floor apartment), transport (won't fit in my car), and getting it to the water (Is lifting and carrying a 10'-11' board in and out of the water really better for a rehabbing back??)..

Reactions: bluengreen

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Anyone riding gliders on the east coast? Short period beach break doesn't seem ideal

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Game changing design. Mine is currently locked in a van in storage in CA. I have a no name shaper's cheap-o model that has a bunch of flaws and it's STILL an amazing board. If I was forced to have one surfboard for the rest of my life, it would be a glider, although I would go for a Brewer/Chapman style "Pipeliner," probably from Chuck Andrus. Truly 2' to 20'.

BTW, mine is a 10'0" twin keel fish. Highly recommend for CA style point surf. Rincon, C-Street, Secos, Malibu, Topanga and all the little reefs in between. I have paddled it from Zuma to Paradise Cove for sessions, and from Haggerty's to Lunada.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I have a 12'6 Bark Paddle/surf hybrid. Single fin with side bites. Thing is a beast. Super fun and wide range of things to do on it. I can paddle down the coast and pick off sets, just sit on the outside and enjoy the glide on a small day, or go for a paddle session.
I'll always have one of these in my quiver.
Do you have pics?

Was this a custom order? I’m intrigured

Reactions: frontsidegrab

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Have a 12’2 Glider.

So much fun. Can catch anything and it’s really fast.

I have a 10’6 mega fish on order too.

I can’t say enough good things about gliders. Everyone should have one.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Do you have pics?

Was this a custom order? I’m intrigured
I'll post some pics in a couple days.

I was fortunate enough to buy one of Joe's personals. He doesnt make them too often anymore. He designed and built them for the Malloy brothers back in the day. The one I got was a second run he did. He calls them Adventure boards and they are just that. You can use them to do pretty much anything you want on the water. I dive with it, surf, paddle, fish, etc.

Reactions: bluemarlin04