Gliders....

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Had one in my quiver for over a decade or so.

Currently have an 11' Mabile (twinzer with pin tail) and 10' Christenson (long fish quad); both quite different in how they ride w/ distinct pluses and minuses.

The Mabile is the battleship. If it breaks, I catch it. I see a set 50+ yards away. It's mine. Buttery. You redirect the board more than turn it. I've had it in OH surf and hollow waves but the preferred waves are long, mellow lines where you can just glide and cruise.

The Christenson has refined rails that get really thin into the tail which actually has some rocker. It is not as fast in mush as the Mabile and does not catch waves as easily. With a bit of a wave underfoot though you can actually do a fully committed rail turn on the Christenson which is an experience because once you initiate that turn you are locked in as you carve back toward the white water, hit it, and then try to recover back down the line.

If you enjoy the feeling of trimming along on a longboard, you'll like a gilder as it is that on steroids. It is an acquired taste though. Most people I've lent the boards to do not dig it for one reason or another.

These boards also double as paddle boards if I want to just get some exercise and then catch a few dribblers on small days.

Reactions: VaB

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
for me it's about feeling the effortless trim and the most subtle movements can affect that a lot.

You can get stuck in a section, set your rail and aim for the shoulder and cover some serious water making sections you never thought were possible

Reactions: sublime74 and VaB

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I have a 10' Swallow Tail Mabile and it Glides and covers lots of ground. Originally wanted an 11' but handled one at his shop and he basically talked me out of one. They are ALOT of board in many ways.

Wish he was still producing as his product had lotsa Bang for the Buck.

Attachments

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
GRG

Beautiful board. How would you compare the twin against a single fin, if you've ever ridden one of those?
In an interview, Josh Hall talks about a quad that he made that "hauls ass".

Reactions: grg

obslop

Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
I have a 10' Swallow Tail Mabile and it Glides and covers lots of ground. Originally wanted an 11' but handled one at his shop and he basically talked me out of one. They are ALOT of board in many ways.

Wish he was still producing as his product had lotsa Bang for the Buck.
beauty.

my first exposure to gliders was a 9'4" mabile long fish under the kane garden label. jesus that board was fast. so much glide; probably more than the 11' er. was a twinzer wit little trailer set-up.

Reactions: grg and retodd

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
GRG

Beautiful board. How would you compare the twin against a single fin, if you've ever ridden one of those?
In an interview, Josh Hall talks about a quad that he made that "hauls ass".
thanks! Ive never ridden a single fin and only the orange one. As it was mentioned earlier they catch just about anything. Mine goes pretty fast as a twin.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
beauty.

my first exposure to gliders was a 9'4" mabile long fish under the kane garden label. jesus that board was fast. so much glide; probably more than the 11' er. was a twinzer wit little trailer set-up.
I also have a KG/Mabile Orca Twinzer but not Glider length. Its 8' I think and that board "hauls ass"

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Had one in my quiver for over a decade or so.

Currently have an 11' Mabile (twinzer with pin tail) and 10' Christenson (long fish quad); both quite different in how they ride w/ distinct pluses and minuses.

The Mabile is the battleship. If it breaks, I catch it. I see a set 50+ yards away. It's mine. Buttery. You redirect the board more than turn it. I've had it in OH surf and hollow waves but the preferred waves are long, mellow lines where you can just glide and cruise.

The Christenson has refined rails that get really thin into the tail which actually has some rocker. It is not as fast in mush as the Mabile and does not catch waves as easily. With a bit of a wave underfoot though you can actually do a fully committed rail turn on the Christenson which is an experience because once you initiate that turn you are locked in as you carve back toward the white water, hit it, and then try to recover back down the line.

If you enjoy the feeling of trimming along on a longboard, you'll like a gilder as it is that on steroids. It is an acquired taste though. Most people I've lent the boards to do not dig it for one reason or another.

These boards also double as paddle boards if I want to just get some exercise and then catch a few dribblers on small days.

Hey @obslop if you are ever foolish enough to part with that 11' twinzer (or just need some quick loot) I'm calling dibs, we can work out the details no problem. I'm probably the biggest twinzer junky on the planet, and 11' is so far out from my wheelhouse i'm sure it would be a great challenge for me, and i'm always up for a challenge.

It's kinda pumping out there right now, go get some!

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I have a 12'6 Bark Paddle/surf hybrid. Single fin with side bites. Thing is a beast. Super fun and wide range of things to do on it. I can paddle down the coast and pick off sets, just sit on the outside and enjoy the glide on a small day, or go for a paddle session.
I'll always have one of these in my quiver.

obslop

Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Hey @obslop if you are ever foolish enough to part with that 11' twinzer (or just need some quick loot) I'm calling dibs, we can work out the details no problem. I'm probably the biggest twinzer junky on the planet, and 11' is so far out from my wheelhouse i'm sure it would be a great challenge for me, and i'm always up for a challenge.

It's kinda pumping out there right now, go get some!
once we get on the other side of the virus you're welcome to try either board. i usually surf the harbor.

Reactions: sdsurfrat

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I had a glider from Eric Christenson. It was very nice and affordable. EC is a great option for those in the market.

• Love
Reactions: sublime74