Glassing schedule for EPS?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Me: angular 180 lbs

Where: beachbreak of thumpiness

What: Glassing schedule for 2.0 lb EPS

Aim: home built, durable (6'4" general purpose and floaty) board more important than one season board

Initial plan:

2x 4 oz bottom, 1x 4 oz + 2mm wood + 1x 4 oz top

Your thoughts on my plan?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
For thumpy beach breaks I'd go heavier than the standard 4/4x4, even if S-glass.

I still prefer poly for bumpy conditions but out of all the EPS builds I've tried, Stretch's felt the least chattery.

Stretch standard construction is 4oz. S-glass + 6oz. E Deck. 6 oz. E bottom.

I dunno about the wood veneer. My buddy does full wood skinned boards over eps cores but his shapes are so far from what I normally ride that I can't really compare it to anything.

Luddite

Miki Dora status
May 21, 2010
New Zealand
Visit site
Off topic slightly but with 3 layers of 10oz on 2lb eps the longboards I'm making are still a bit too light at 18 pounds for a ten footer.

It\s pretty ugly to make boards which are basically disposable IMO, but each to their own.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
My 0.02:

More layers of 4 oz, rather than fewer heavier layers (less resin and more strength in fiber).

I'm using 2 x 2.5 oz s cloth bottom, 3 x 2.5 oz s on deck. 2 lb stringerless eps. I'm lighter and Surf much weaker waves, but only getting two foot wells in front (pad in back). My board paddles in so easily and glides over flats. Not too flexy, doesn't chatter or feel too buoyant (or any of that other stuff you hear about eps). Marko foam.

For Fiji this spring,
Added 1 stringer for my hpsb, and two stringers for step up (never used step up).

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
chrisp510 said:
Are we talking stringerless Mr. Doof?
Have the EPS blank from Stretch's cast off pile that I bought.

Was a partially shaped 8'2" (8'4"?) gun when a landshark took a bite out of the tail, (or it was dropped and landed oddly as it also had a dinged up the delly, chunked the front rail).

It has about a 1/4 stringer.

Finding the 6'5" board I want out of that 3.5 inch thick with a gun rocker has been less enjoyable than I thought. I mostly blame my lack of skill with a planer...easy to see how skill with a good tool makes a job easier, but for me on homemade board #8, it sure made it easy to mess things up.

Anyway, bottom is glassed. Patch around the Future Fins, then 2x 4 oz (using one layer of E and one of S because, well, that is what I had, not out of any particular theory).

The EPS seems to soak up the epoxy faster than the PU blanks I've used in the past.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Aruka said:
I dunno about the wood veneer. My buddy does full wood skinned boards over eps cores but his shapes are so far from what I normally ride that I can't really compare it to anything.
I don't know about the wood either, but I am hoping it cuts down the chatter some and staves off the errant palm/elbow/knee/face strikes that can occur when that "I've got this tube!" feeling results in me not having the exit I was hoping for.

Plus, I am hoping the wood hides some of the, umm, workmanship/material issues. :cookin:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Luddite said:
A temporary surfboard in other words.
All my homemade boards have lived longer than 3 years.

Well, one buckled and tore (and there went my RFS experiment) about 6-8 months later, but I blame a fall, a well placed lip, and part of my body as the fulcrum more than the glassing.

I still ride two of them regularly (gave one away, sold two and reshaped one...that one later turned out horrible and I cut it up into small pieces to dispose of).

Overall, I think that is a decent record.

And one I'd like to improve on, but you know, I don't want it too strong should I hit it in a fall. :helmet:

chrispalmer

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 1, 2008
Cork feels good on EPS to minimize chatter.
Post pics when you got 'em Dr. Doof.
Sounds like a fun project especially knowing where you're gonna surf it.