Glass Jobs

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
pu / pe , eps / epoxy , mild to wild

do any of you really pay attention to it ?

is it either good , ok , or bad ?

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
big fan of epx/epoxy now, the durability, and lightness are great, and having nice gloss and polish pu/pe is too stressful, every little ding is torture

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I won't know whether I like a glass job or not until I've ridden the board a bunch.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I like them all . . . when done correctly. But I also think that a lightly glassed PU/PE is tough to beat, at least until the board craps out in a month.

Thankfully, all of my recent boards have had great glassing (and sanding too, which is overlooked but oh so important)

My Hamish Graham and Stretch boards all had phenomenal epoxy glassing. And I really don't think you can beat Tim Stamps when it comes to quality PE glassing. Haakenson glassed my board from Allan Gibbons and I was super impressed their PE work.

And then there is Coil.

Sanded finish for me . . . not a big gloss and polish fan for whatever reason.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
My eps epoxy are solid
Picked up a pu/pe in the same size range
as my newest and thought it felt pretty heavy
But also solid

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
One thing that I'll probably never do again is ask for "4/6/4" glassing when I could just ask for 4oz S cloth.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Big fan of eps tech or whatever Stretch one wants to call it and for now on all new boards well be made in the Stretch factory :rockin:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
rowjimmytour said:
Big fan of eps tech or whatever Stretch one wants to call it and for now on all new boards well be made in the Stretch factory :rockin:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Good, ok, bad scale is it for me as I really only order sanded PUPEs. :socrazy:

Good - Dent and ding resistant, really light weight
OK - Heavier and/or more susceptible to dents and dings
Bad - Completely trashed in a short time, sand throughs

adam33

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 23, 2005
Long Beach, NY
I very happy with Hayden's Poly/Epoxy combo. Fairly light and holding up great so far.
Some denting on deck but nothing crazy. Board feels so much better than FF tech.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
epoxy everything. foam is kind of whateva for me.

that being said, if it's something I am going to travel
with I am a little more comfortable with XPS or PU.

I like dense/heavy foam.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Flipping out on Coil. Six weeks in and only a mild pressure on my front heel. Regular PU would have about 12 craters for me already.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
epoxy everything. foam is kind of whateva for me.
Me too. I've been alternating between US Blanks PU and WNC EPS.

I haven't tried kevlar, but other than that the bamboo veneers seem to provide the best strength-weight value; the innegra builds run heavy but are bulletproof. Opposing off-axis layups in fiberglass are working really well, too.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I like eps/epoxy alot but have been going back to p/u lately, feels best. Both construction s roberts has been solid with. I actually like a heavier glassed board i think, at least in good waves

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
So many complain "Cheap glass job" when the real culprit may be the foam. Unless the guy uses a single layer on the deck, most all glass shops use the same fiberglass and resin. (PU) Sometimes they do a small lap which effects over-all linear strength.

If the foam is really light weight, it requires either more glass weight (Layers) or something like S-glass. PU foam comes in many densities. The lighter the foam, the softer it is. EPS foam is the lightest foam density there is. Never been a big fan of this foam. Structurally way weaker. It is glassed with epoxy resin which is much stronger. That is why companies who do alternative construction wrap them with so many layers of cloth. The strength is in the fiberglass and resin. Many put layers of non-fiberglass materials like Nylon of wood veneers. All in an effort to stabilize the soft foam.

Lately, I've been glassing PU foam blanks with epoxy resin. The best of both worlds. Stronger foam and stronger resin. Very happy with the results.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
adam33 said:
I very happy with Hayden's Poly/Epoxy combo. Fairly light and holding up great so far.
Some denting on deck but nothing crazy. Board feels so much better than FF tech.
bsnyder said:
Lately, I've been glassing PU foam blanks with epoxy resin. The best of both worlds. Stronger foam and stronger resin. Very happy with the results.
This 100%. There is nothing better.

Far and above the best combo out there is epoxy/PU. Feels no different than standard poly/PU, but the board retains crispness so much longer and is so much stronger. Basically it's like everything you've always wanted out of poly/PU but can never get.

It's baffling this combination is so uncommon, but then you remember epoxy has the unfortunate black mark of association with EPS.

I've had industry bro-brahs and Craigslist buyers tell me you can't use epoxy on PU foam :roflmao: not to mention it seems at least half the surf world think epoxy and EPS are synonyms for the exact same material.

HaydenShapes standard boards are glassed at PureGlass and automatically come epoxy/PU at no additional charge. The glasswork is excellent.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
casa_mugrienta said:
Far and above the best combo out there is epoxy/PU. Feels no different than standard poly/PU, but the board retains crispness so much longer and is so much stronger. Basically it's like everything you've always wanted out of poly/PU but can never get.

It's baffling this combination is so uncommon, but then you remember epoxy has the unfortunate black mark of association with EPS.
agree that PU/epoxy is a nice combo. PU foam is much nicer to shape. EPS has memory, feels spongy when shaping. PU just crumbles cleanly when screening.

As far as longevity is concerned, PU will break down faster with more flexing, whereas, EPS has more memory and the return lasts longer. Couple EPS with epoxy and you get more longevity, especially when you don't have a stringer. Wood fatigues eventually, too.

S cloth and epoxy is a good combo for the money.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
i use epoxy on everything.

PU - easier to shape, feels nice to surf but breaks down quickly. Can have delams where foam is dented and doesnt return to original shape but epoxy glass wants to. pretty rare though

EPS - lighter, doesn't break down as quickly, more lively and better flex memory but needs some dampening materials so it doesn't get the chatter that everyone hates. I only use VH density, which is around 1.9lb.