Geezers who surf.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
View attachment 117948

Jeannie Chesser. She’s over 70. Surfs ever weekday sometimes on a weekend. I think she’s on a beefy 6’0 in this pic. She’s not in a full suit wetsuit she’s in Lycra to keep the morning sun off. Paddles in when the sun gets too bright.
There is a video on Instagram of her surfing Kelly's wave pool. She freaking rips.

Reactions: teeroi

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I really, really hate to admit this, but I hit geezer status. Mid 60's. I still have days where I can surf pretty well by say late 80's standards. When my body lets me in. There are other days now where... yikes. If my first two waves don't go well, I paddle in, slink to the car and attempt to vanish as rapidly as possible. You keep getting up every morning and sh!t happens.

This sequence is close to age 60, 15 pounds overweight and with enough titanium in me to build a small submarine.

IMG_1813.jpgIMG_1820.jpg

I'll put together a string of good days every now and then, think, "I've sill got some of it!" and then sh!t happens. Before I know it, I've been out of the water for two weeks. Repeat. If you're really serious about your surfing, I recommend dying young.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I really, really hate to admit this, but I hit geezer status. Mid 60's. I still have days where I can surf pretty well by say late 80's standards. When my body lets me in. There are other days now where... yikes. If my first two waves don't go well, I paddle in, slink to the car and attempt to vanish as rapidly as possible. You keep getting up every morning and sh!t happens.

This sequence is close to age 60, 15 pounds overweight and with enough titanium in me to build a small submarine.

View attachment 119454View attachment 119455

I'll put together a string of good days every now and then, think, "I've sill got some of it!" and then sh!t happens. Before I know it, I've been out of the water for two weeks. Repeat. If you're really serious about your surfing, I recommend dying young.
I'm a big "fan" of that second photo.. but it looks like you dropped the whiskey bottle from your left hand.

Remember what Peter Cole said when asked how come he was still charging big Sunset when all his contemporaries had hung up their spurs? "At a certain point you start becoming a kook. I have no problem being a kook."

Or my favorite quote from Mickey Munoz when asked about how he deals with today's crowds, "All it takes is one good turn..."

I can usually get at least one good turn in and am starting to accept the fact that I'm becoming a kook...

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I'm a big "fan" of that second photo.. but it looks like you dropped the whiskey bottle from your left hand.
Good eye. I thought that the first time I saw the sequence. Too much tension. Overall the form isn't bad, but way too tense with the lead arm. Maybe I was headed in for the whiskey bottle at that point? I've mostly quit drinking now, so that might help?

:oops:

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Thanks. I know all of that on an intellectual level. I‘ve tried to kill my ego several times. It’s still on life support however. Thing won’t die. :mad:
I laugh because I know that feeling so well. I had to quit before I really damaged myself anymore.
Thank you Nail Patella Syndrome. sigh...

Also laughed that on a thread with "geezers" in the title it took until page 6 before you gave in and posted as one.

Dunno why I found that funny, but I did. :D

Take care.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Hey man, I suppose it's inevitable, but I am going out scraping and clawing in the other direction. I still have SOME fight left in me. And your right, I kept seeing this thread get topped and I wouldn't even look at it. Couldn't do it. Whatever.

Pops is going on 94 now. Full of cancer. Should have been dead 10 years ago. Just won't quit. He skied me into the ground a couple of times when he was well into his 80's. Mostly black diamond runs. Maybe I'll go skiing for the next 20 years?

One day at a time. ;)

Fuller

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Hey man, I suppose it's inevitable, but I am going out scraping and clawing in the other direction. I still have SOME fight left in me. And your right, I kept seeing this thread get topped and I wouldn't even look at it. Couldn't do it. Whatever.

Pops is going on 94 now. Full of cancer. Should have been dead 10 years ago. Just won't quit. He skied me into the ground a couple of times when he was well into his 80's. Mostly black diamond runs. Maybe I'll go skiing for the next 20 years?

One day at a time. ;)
I haven't surfed in almost 8-10 years - I don't remember quitting but the last session was really frustrating. My shoulder was killing me and it had been months since the previous session so it didn't go well. The sun was also killing me slowly and I felt really, really old. So I switched to skiing and triathlon. I'm still improving my skiing and my race times are holding steady at 68 yrs old. Skiing is the old man's friend.

• Sad
Reactions: LifeOnMars

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Skiing is the old RICH man's friend.
Fixed it for you.

I haven't been skiing since I got married, I used to have freinds who lived and worked at Squaw Valley and Beaver Creek and that made it almost free (stayed with them, free lifts and one friend would just raid the lost and found for equipment although back then I had my own).

How much would a weekend for three including rentals cost at Mammoth these days??????

ps good on you for doing the triathlons at 68. Inspirational.:applause2:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
How much would a weekend for three including rentals cost at Mammoth these days??????

For a non-holiday Sat/Sun in January you are looking at about 600 bucks a day for lift tickets and rentals for three.
Plus gas, food, beer, and lodging.

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Fixed it for you.

I haven't been skiing since I got married, I used to have freinds who lived and worked at Squaw Valley and Beaver Creek and that made it almost free (stayed with them, free lifts and one friend would just raid the lost and found for equipment although back then I had my own).

you can get a pass for 1k or less for the year ATM, epic or ikon. they both have different resorts that are part of the deal. worth it if you plan on going more than a couple of days a season, buy a walk up lift ticket and you gon get reamed. only pricy thing would be the lodging, not too bad if you split between a couple of (paying) heads. buy your board or skis after the season or during black monday, probably going to drop another 1k for a decent setup but it should last a while provided you take care of it.

Reactions: urchined

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
its crazy how expensive a day on the mountain is, i mean waaaay before Corona virus sh!t got redic at some point.

95 just for bear or summit wtf? we used to get half day passes for 20 buclks.

When i lived in Tahoe circa 98-2000 all the resorts were 45 bucks a pop. what the hell happened?