Gath Helmet fit

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
For Gath, I'd probably be a medium. Those weren't available since I wanted the visor version. If I'm going to wear something dumb on my head it's going to include sun protection for my face. So I got a large and deal with it. It's the tiniest bit to big. I don't even notice that anymore.

For the Simba helmets I think they want you to fit them tight. Thefoilshop has them on display if you want to try them on in person. I think I'm supposed to wear a medium in those too, it seemed tight though.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Gath visor: no problem with distorted vision? I found it uncomfortable while riding waves...but ok when riding flat water or paddling or in a hail storm (PNW problems ;-) I generally end up using sunglasses and sun screen instead.

Gath fit: I would tend toward medium-large in hats, but the large gath fits perfect. I can't wear it over wetsuit hood, just a little too tight.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Gath visor: no problem with distorted vision? I found it uncomfortable while riding waves...but ok when riding flat water or paddling or in a hail storm (PNW problems ;-) I generally end up using sunglasses and sun screen instead.

Gath fit: I would tend toward medium-large in hats, but the large gath fits perfect. I can't wear it over wetsuit hood, just a little too tight.

yes distorted vision is a problem...once up and running i always lift the visor when riding waves otherwise my depth perceptiongets all screwed up....the tradeoff is bulldogging into the wave through whitewater and spray is unmatched....i was surprised how distracting spray in the eyes really is when doing whitewater takeoffs until i tried the visor...

also if you do get one be really carefull with the visor and dont scratch it....one grain if sand wedged up in there will shred the view and that really screws things up and i havene been able to find a replacement visor...Gath.com...murrays.com....ebay...nobody has XL replacement visors...junk

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
yes distorted vision is a problem...once up and running i always lift the visor when riding waves otherwise my depth perceptiongets all screwed up....the tradeoff is bulldogging into the wave through whitewater and spray is unmatched....i was surprised how distracting spray in the eyes really is when doing whitewater takeoffs until i tried the visor...

also if you do get one be really carefull with the visor and dont scratch it....one grain if sand wedged up in there will shred the view and that really screws things up and i havene been able to find a replacement visor...Gath.com...murrays.com....ebay...nobody has XL replacement visors...junk
Good tip on the white water takeoffs...never thought of that. I find the water in eyes super distracting too.

Apr 4, 2020
I don't remember what size I wear, but I followed the sizing guide and the online order fit properly.

I've had the Gath helmet with and without the visor. The visor messed up my depth perception and I couldn't tell the location of lip. I prefer the no visor version.

I wore the Gath helmet for every foil session during my first 6 months of foiling. Now, I only wear the helmet when it's cold. I prefer the helmet over a hood.