Gasoline Gasoline!

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
How long does it take to fill the gas tank of a Ford Explorer? How long does it take to recharge a car after a long haul? Don't be an ass.
I owned a explorer, I got around 350miles a tank and you are really stupid.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Some of you jabronis are going to be really upset when you hear about this.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Right there in your screenshot it says two new units are under construction. Now the goalposts are new generation nuclear power plants in operation????

First the (D) were supposedly anti-nuke, now that it's clear they don't obstruct this stuff it has to be the latest and greatest??
The screenshot of your link? It sure does! Tell us about them. That’s the same thing that was projected for San Onofre when I was working there in 1977. With all of the safety upgrades to the design for TMI and every other debacle since and future. The business end of the plant is the monster that it always was.

I’ve never moved the goalposts on any related discussion. I’ve always been for new development of smaller simpler design. Those are absolutes.

I’m talking about the treehugger faction you don’t see many of the Republican persuasion screeching about how their offspring are gonna be glowing in the dark. See whistleblowers. Every conceivable concern addressed. There are some doozies.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Some of you jabronis are going to be really upset when you hear about this.

Great!

Do you own a Tesla? If not, why not? I’d think a guy like you that’s on the cutting edge of everything would be all over it.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Another question: If I were to get an EV, where would I charge it? Due to parking issues in my neighborhood its not uncommon for me to have to park up to four doors down the street or on the opposite side of the street. Will the neighbors let me use one of their outlets to plug in? Do I have to let them use my electric?

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Another question: If I were to get an EV, where would I charge it? Due to parking issues in my neighborhood its not uncommon for me to have to park up to four doors down the street or on the opposite side of the street. Will the neighbors let me use one of their outlets to plug in? Do I have to let them use my electric?
If it doesn't work for everyone, then it doesn't work for anyone! :ROFLMAO:

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
All we're hearing about is a overloaded powergrid
I would imagine the mensa's at SCE and PG&E are gearing up for the future demand.... :rolleyes:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
you don't have a driveway or garage? making things hard that don't have to be

Reactions: CutnSnip

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Below are maps of drives that I absolutely do non-stop except for the quickest possible fuel stops and fast food drive thrus. You also seem to have missed the part about affordable. I am also quite dubious of the longevity of EV's especially when you live on a barrier island surrounded by salt water.

View attachment 120665

View attachment 120666
What does salty have to do with EV? :roflmao:

Rivian is made out of aluminum and carbon, it will be around a long time after your Exploder rots away.

How did I miss the part about affordable?

Did you miss the part about no maintenance and your trip to Florida costing you $50?

Ford Lightning starts at below $40k.

Your Exploder towing capacity is 5000 lbs

Rivian 11,000 lbs
Lightning 10,000 lbs

Why is it that you are doing "quickest possible fuel stops"? :roflmao:
What's awaiting for you in Florida that is that important?

Don't you ever know when to stop and admit you're wrong? Maybe learn something?

Holy fück.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The screenshot of your link? It sure does! Tell us about them. That’s the same thing that was projected for San Onofre when I was working there in 1977. With all of the safety upgrades to the design for TMI and every other debacle since and future. The business end of the plant is the monster that it always was.

I’ve never moved the goalposts on any related discussion. I’ve always been for new development of smaller simpler design. Those are absolutes.

I’m talking about the treehugger faction you don’t see many of the Republican persuasion screeching about how their offspring are gonna be glowing in the dark. See whistleblowers. Every conceivable concern addressed. There are some doozies.
So we agree new plants of a design you don't think is modern enough are being built, present tense. So by functional definition, the screeching faction is largely ineffectual. New nuclear bandwidth is coming online, certified fact. I hear you that it's a screeching faction, but it's not the rank and file of the elected party OR the voters.

I am surprised you said Whistleblowers. I'd want lots of that. The consequences of f----ps are quite high. TMI wasn't that bad, Fukushima and Chernobyl and that weapons waste lake in Russia are good examples of that. It's not a nuclear power plant designer's fault that one was placed where an earthquake+tsunami+flood went down, but it's not like the commercial nuclear industry was ethical or responsible after Snafukushima.

I don't want to see exclusion zones in Ukraine or Nebraska, much less coastal Japan, which looks dank af. Not worth some clown's earnings per share number by a long shot.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
my very conservative FIL owns one and it's all he talks about.
:roflmao:

Now do yourself.:dancing:Vigorously.

Do you own one? If not, why not?

I’d think living in the tristate area those would be great cars. You’d have to be stupid to run out of charge.

Sharkbiscuit is a cheapskate, I can see his point, he’s not gonna dress to impress and it’s not practical. He can ride a bike around where he lives much of the year.

Out of curiosity, how many miles a week do you and your driving family log per week?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
:roflmao:

Now do yourself.:dancing:Vigorously.

Do you own one? If not, why not?

I’d think living in the tristate area those would be great cars. You’d have to be stupid to run out of charge.

Sharkbiscuit is a cheapskate, I can see his point, he’s not gonna dress to impress and it’s not practical. He can ride a bike around where he lives much of the year.

Out of curiosity, how many miles a week do you and your driving family log per week?

you really spend a lot of time worrying about people's personal details.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
So we agree new plants of a design you don't think is modern enough are being built, present tense. So by functional definition, the screeching faction is largely ineffectual. New nuclear bandwidth is coming online, certified fact. I hear you that it's a screeching faction, but it's not the rank and file of the elected party OR the voters.

I am surprised you said Whistleblowers. I'd want lots of that. The consequences of f----ps are quite high. TMI wasn't that bad, Fukushima and Chernobyl and that weapons waste lake in Russia are good examples of that. It's not a nuclear power plant designer's fault that one was placed where an earthquake+tsunami+flood went down, but it's not like the commercial nuclear industry was ethical or responsible after Snafukushima.

I don't want to see exclusion zones in Ukraine or Nebraska, much less coastal Japan, which looks dank af. Not worth some clown's earnings per share number by a long shot.
Yes. New old technology is going on line. Tuned up 70 something Ford Ranchero as tweaked through the ages. Two old new units in Georgia. In how many years?

Teslas are new technology. Not old new, new.

I’m all for whistleblowers too. The problem with the two systems that I worked within was that the utilities were so gun shy that the programs included all employee complaints so as to leave no stone unturned. I don’t like my foreman/fellow employees because I get all the sh!t jobs and because of that the plant is gonna blow up and do a russian repeat. Not an exaggeration.

You’re dealing with a shitton details. Better smaller, so much easier to control.

Again, I use solar and if very judicious 2 liters of gasoline/day for all of our power needs. I’m not the guy you need to worry about. I’m a strong proponent of energy technology in whatever form it evolves into. For the children.

The fukisuki deal was that the emergency diesel generator bays flooded, no emergency power required for safe shutdown, t!ts up. I’ve been over this before. The ruski disaster was a plant design of a totally different design. Apples and oranges.

Reactions: Chocki

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
you really spend a lot of time worrying about people's personal details.
That’s what you got out of my questions?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Too personal for you?

OMFG! Moderators!

Thanks for your collaboration here.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
No garage. One off-street parking spot. Three vehicles. Any vehicle I get is exposed to the elements on an east coast barrier island. Parking is no problem from October to May. The other months its musical chairs in the neighborhood.
You are not "dubious" about three steel vehicles being exposed to the salt water.

But one aluminum/carbon vehicle is what you are hesitating about.

NON STUP

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
You are not "dubious" about three steel vehicles being exposed to the salt water.

But one aluminum/carbon vehicle is what you are hesitating about.

NON STUP
Perhaps you're unaware of the corrosion issues electrical components and electric motors are prone to in a salt air environment like where I live. You guys in the southwest don't have the same issues.

Reactions: Chocki

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Perhaps you're unaware of the corrosion issues electrical components and electric motors are prone to in a salt air environment like where I live. You guys in the southwest don't have the same issues.
I live in the southwest. Corrosion on land is worse than 200 miles out to sea. Your corrosion pales in comparison.

Tell us what happens with an internal combustion engine when it has fuel, air, but no spark.

A Tesla only needs one of the three.