Gasoline Gasoline!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What about diesel and jet fuel?

The stuff that brings these idiots their trendy sunglasses and other plastic soaked fad gadgets (camera phones, etc, etc, etc)
I like this. Now we could go with the movie remake called JP4

But if they were really thinking, they could have just played this clip and merged both the legalization and alternative fuels platforms.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Someday, electric cars will be the majority of personal vehicles.

It's getting there, but still a long way to go for many.

We'll still need petrol fueled long haul equipment, jet travel, heavy machinery, super tanker/container ships.

Batteries can only do so much, for so long and lose storage after so many cycles.

Until charging can be as instantaneous as filling your gas tank, it will take many years to be an optimal replacement.

Someday, maybe in my lifetime, but I don't see us getting even close for another 20-30+ years.

We'll still need a way to charge those batteries 24/7/365 at night or heavy overcast/storms and when the wind doesn't blow for days on end.

Reactions: need 4 speed

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
We'll still need petrol fueled long haul equipment, jet travel, heavy machinery, super tanker/container ships.

Batteries can only do so much, for so long and lose storage after so many cycles.

Until charging can be as instantaneous as filling your gas tank, it will take many years to be an optimal replacement.

Someday, maybe in my lifetime, but I don't see us getting even close for another 20-30+ years.

We'll still need a way to charge those batteries 24/7/365 at night or heavy overcast/storms and when the wind doesn't blow for days on end.
Nobody claimed otherwise.

Check you premise, burn the strawman and start again.

Also, you need to get up to speed on battery and charging technology before your arguments on this topic are to be taken seriously.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
What about diesel and jet fuel?

The stuff that brings these idiots their trendy sunglasses and other plastic soaked fad gadgets (camera phones, etc, etc, etc)

Wrongo Boyo

Acetate is a plastic derived from wood pulp. Since acetate is plant-based, it's environment-friendly and renewable—unlike petroleum-based plastics. Acetate is also hypoallergenic, so it's an ideal frame material for people who have allergies or sensitive skin making it ideal for eyeglass frames you can wear comfortably all day long.

All quality plastic eyewear is made from Acetate

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Wrongo Boyo

Acetate is a plastic derived from wood pulp. Since acetate is plant-based, it's environment-friendly and renewable—unlike petroleum-based plastics. Acetate is also hypoallergenic, so it's an ideal frame material for people who have allergies or sensitive skin making it ideal for eyeglass frames you can wear comfortably all day long.

Applicable to surfboard construction?

As a family we’re at 15 gallons/week average. That covers 5 gallons/week for generators and lawn tools and 10 gallons/week for the camioneta. Gasolina is our single biggest expense.

What are you paying on Maui?

Out of curiosity did you ever get the solar panels generating energy in your place there?

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
About $4.40 on Maui. Cheaper than Bush's second term. Gas prices are not attributable to anyone thing. Just watch the Canadian Dollar. It goes down..gas goes up. Gas is on its way out out in engines. Thay are inefficient and dinosaurs. Electric motors are better and have less problems. No pressure systems. No Oil or coolant or fuel. Its pretty awesome whats coming.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
About $4.40 on Maui. Cheaper than Bush's second term. Gas prices are not attributable to anyone thing. Just watch the Canadian Dollar. It goes down..gas goes up. Gas is on its way out out in engines. Thay are inefficient and dinosaurs. Electric motors are better and have less problems. No pressure systems. No Oil or coolant or fuel. Its pretty awesome whats coming.
Cheaper than I thought. A little less expensive here but not much.

I agree in most cases. We’re a looong way away from that here transportation wise.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Gasoline is now more expensive in CA than Hawaii, which almost always was highest. I remember a few times CA was a bit more than Hawaii, but usually only during seasonal fuel blend changes and only for a few weeks to a month or so. Now CA is off the charts higher than most everywhere, with new heights reached every week or 2 the last few months. Some areas over $5 for regular. Some more ritzy and/or remote areas well above 5$.

When I left Oceanside June 30, cheapest was $3.89-$3.99 a gallon. Now, my cheapo station is $4.29 and this is well after the seasonal blend changes. No sign of prices dropping soon. Biden and team are stocked.

These price spikes that last for more than a few months cause recessions if not curbed soon. If these prices stick for many more months, we'll see inflation like we haven't seen since the 70's, if we aren't there already.

Maybe Biden's team will offer gas vouchers for the poor and lower middle class? They want to do it for everything else.

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Wrongo Boyo

Eyewear is the exception to the norm when it comes the petrol based plastics. Acetate is good, but not as durable in harsher conditions, like autos, circuit boards, and other high reliability products.

Try seeing how long a surfboard made with acetate will last. It would've been done decades ago if it could.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Can you power your electric motor without a fuel source? Electric motors ARE awesome for their high torque instant GO. What powers your motor? Solar? Wind? That plug in the wall?

Someday, we'll have our flying electric cars with solar/Mr Fusion hybrid energy sources. EV's are finally starting to get there, but it's still a ways off for full replacement of IC motors, especially for long endurance and instant re-fueling. Hybrids will be the way to go for most for a while.

Power grids better be ready for them when they do take hold, and everyone plugs in at night when they get home, in the summer, when they also switch on the A/C. It will be like running another A/C unit or your electric clothes dryer at the same time for the hours it takes to recharge that Prius or Tesla at home.

As "green" as it sounds, it's going to take a lot of energy sources from somewhere, at a very large scale.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Can you power your electric motor without a fuel source? Electric motors ARE awesome for their high torque instant GO. What powers your motor? Solar? Wind? That plug in the wall?

Someday, we'll have our flying electric cars with solar/Mr Fusion hybrid energy sources. EV's are finally starting to get there, but it's still a ways off for full replacement of IC motors, especially for long endurance and instant re-fueling. Hybrids will be the way to go for most for a while.

Power grids better be ready for them when they do take hold, and everyone plugs in at night when they get home, in the summer, when they also switch on the A/C. It will be like running another A/C unit or your electric clothes dryer at the same time for the hours it takes to recharge that Prius or Tesla at home.

As "green" as it sounds, it's going to take a lot of energy sources from somewhere, at a very large scale.
Did I mention I drive a F250 diesel. Love it. Love diesel and the Compression factor as opposed to ignition. The amount of Soot I put in the air daily is mind blowing. So what makes you think I care? Electric cars are better...henceforth my enthusiasm. They are just better.!

No more driveway drippings. Oil Changes. Busted Radiator hoses. Mouthfuls of siphoned gasoline. Auto parts stores are going the way of Blockbuster

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Keep raising the price of gasoline, maybe we'll see Tesla 18 wheelers sooner than we thought.

Time to move on from 100+ year old technology.

Rivian's new truck has a motor for every wheel. Like a drone. Replacement parts will just be plug and play. no more tunes ups. Just Computer reboot.