Gas powered vehicles -DONE

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm leaning toward a Subaru as my next vehicle. Any cons would be appreciated. Do they still eat oil?
They don't eat oil anymore.

Some say the CVT is the con but so far I have no complaints.
The good part is that manual mode still exists (paddle shifters) which all reviewers were making fun of (because it's a CVT after all) but I found it indispensable when driving off road or going up/down the mountain. To be able to keep the revs exactly where you want them with a CVT and engine brake when you need to, is great.

Of course I'd love a manual but Subaru is all about MPGs these days.

The other complaint is that 2.5L naturally aspirated models are pretty underpowered with which I agree. Go turbo and you'll be fine.

Reactions: hal9000

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've had a couple rentals with the stop at lights thing. I lift off the break after the other lane's light goes yellow so I don't have to sit there waiting on my car. These cars are all named Lloyd, btw.

They don't eat oil anymore.

Some say the CVT is the con but so far I have no complaints.
The good part is that manual mode still exists (paddle shifters) which all reviewers were making fun of (because it's a CVT after all) but I found it indispensable when driving off road or going up/down the mountain. To be able to keep the revs exactly where you want them and engine brake when you need to, is great.

Of course I'd love a manual but Subaru is all about MPGs these days.

The other complaint is that 2.5L naturally aspirated models are pretty underpowered with which I agree. Go turbo and you'll be fine.
My Nissan shitbox as a CVT. I used the sissyquential when I evac'd to Alabammy and went up a couple hills and it felt boggy.

The flappy paddle dual clutch in the last rental was hype.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I've had a couple rentals with the stop at lights thing. I lift off the break after the other lane's light goes yellow so I don't have to sit there waiting on my car. These cars are all named Lloyd, btw.

My Nissan shitbox as a CVT. I used the sissyquential when I evac'd to Alabammy and went up a couple hills and it felt boggy.

The flappy paddle dual clutch in the last rental was hype.
Ari fucking Gold :roflmao:

Nissan CVTs were a disaster. Subaru CVT is built different, probably the best/most reliable on the market.

Reactions: Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
That really is the dumbest thing ever. Modern cars hardly burn any fuel and make hardly any exhaust at idle. Shutting off at stops introduces more to go wrong, more wear to the engine, more wear to the starter, often uses a second car battery in the car for the feature to operate and ultimately will make for more expensive repairs down the road. One of the main reasons I ended up with a Subaru Outback was because every other vehicle I test drove had that stupid feature. The following year Subaru had it too. I test drove a Jeep Cherokee on a day when it was near 100 degrees and humid and at every stop the engine shut off and the air conditioner wouldn't keep up in stop and go driving. I realize that you can turn the feature off but you have to do it every time you get in the car. Deal breaker.
the engines and starter mechanisms are designed for this type of operation

you're comparing your traditional starter design with a new animal....they are not the same

improved gas mileage and reduced emissions is...an improvement in gas mileage and a reduction of emissions

you are almost comical in your closed-mindedness and resistance to change

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My Outback has it and you can turn it off. Problem solved. But no.
You can turn it off permanently????? Or do you have to turn it off each time you get in the car????
On some vehicles there is a hidden battery you can disconnect or a second battery terminal on the battery you can disconnect but if you do it that way you get a check engine light.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That really is the dumbest thing ever. Modern cars hardly burn any fuel and make hardly any exhaust at idle. Shutting off at stops introduces more to go wrong, more wear to the engine, more wear to the starter, often uses a second car battery in the car for the feature to operate and ultimately will make for more expensive repairs down the road. One of the main reasons I ended up with a Subaru Outback was because every other vehicle I test drove had that stupid feature. The following year Subaru had it too. I test drove a Jeep Cherokee on a day when it was near 100 degrees and humid and at every stop the engine shut off and the air conditioner wouldn't keep up in stop and go driving. I realize that you can turn the feature off but you have to do it every time you get in the car. Deal breaker.
Dumb idea? I guess you know more than all the automotive engineers at all the major automobile manufacturers?

:roflmao:

Did you ask if you could order your Subie with no AC? More wear on the engine, more to go wrong...

• Haha
Reactions: Hump and rice

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I'm leaning toward a Subaru as my next vehicle. Any cons would be appreciated. Do they still eat oil?

I've got 36,000 miles on my Outback now. I really do like it. It it the perfect fit for work and play for me. Love the roof rack system it comes with right from the factory. I throw kayaks up there regularly in the summer. Tons of room inside. If you do your own oil changes it is the easiest vehicle out there. Filter is right up top.

Only complaints: Was a little surprised at how poorly it did on real snow for the first time this winter. The factory tires are not quite aggressive enough.

From day one it never got close to the milage on the sticker. Overall was only getting 26 mpg where for the driving I do I was expecting 30 given the amount of open highway driving I do and based on my prior vehicle. Interestingly there was a recall for fuel pump failure that I got done a few weeks ago and ever since it got the new fuel pump my average has improved to a hair over 28 mpg which is still not what I expected but a definate improvement.

The location of the fill for the washer fluid is in a stupid location right next to the battery.

USB ports are in a hard to reach location on mine. They may have fixed that on the latest versions.

Honda CRV out paces the Sub imo. Read Consumer Reports before you buy anything. I love our little 2018 CRV. AWD
We have several CRVs in our company fleet and I'd rate them as just OK. Not nearly as nice as my Outback. Recently test drove the latest greatest CRV and if I were an engineer for Honda I would do something to make the doors NOT feel like you're closing the doors in a chinsy tin can death trap. They are super reliable though and will easily hit 200K with minimal care.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
destination?
Doesnt anyone just go for a drive anymore?
Sometimes I will with the motorbike.

I drove my daughters EcoSport the other day. It stars and stops at intersections. What a stupid idea. Starters only got so many pulls on them. Hate the jiggling on and off bs.
This on/off behavior is why catalytic converter thieves like these types of cars. Engine going on/off means the operating temperature cycles, not staying in the "zone" means non-optimal combustion which means lots of emissions that need bigger than normal converter for that engine size (used to be small converter needed for small engine, now with the on/off cycling, need a catalytic converter that used to go with a much bigger engine to keep emissions with standards).

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
From day one it never got close to the milage on the sticker.
This means you don't drive like the world's biggest pussy. Thanks!

If you happen to have access to a perfectly flat road with no lights and a 50mph posted limit and you cruise at 58 the whole way with a light tailwind, you might get advertised highway.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You can turn it off permanently????? Or do you have to turn it off each time you get in the car????
On some vehicles there is a hidden battery you can disconnect or a second battery terminal on the battery you can disconnect but if you do it that way you get a check engine light.
You have to turn it off every time, unfortunately. It's just two clicks though.

On a freeway, it's not an issue.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
That’s Ford. I noticed that on the F150 I had. The start/stop was noticeable. Our Prius start/stop is imperceptible. It does it at stops but also shuts the IC engine on and off while driving depending on power needs. To me the idea seems a no brainer. The Prius has issues but reliability isn’t one of them. Ever notice what cars the taxi companies use?
Omg they suck. No pick up. Dangerous. No wonder other drivers hate them. Daughter used to have one of them.

Reactions: Ifallalot

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
This means you don't drive like the world's biggest pussy. Thanks!

If you happen to have access to a perfectly flat road with no lights and a 50mph posted limit and you cruise at 58 the whole way with a light tailwind, you might get advertised highway.
If you've ever driven the Garden State Parkway you know its nearly flat. Prior car was a 2018 Ford Fusion and it actually exceeded the highway milage. Could get 36 mpg running to Hatteras and back.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If you've ever driven the Garden State Parkway you know its nearly flat. Prior car was a 2018 Ford Fusion and it actually exceeded the highway milage. Could get 36 mpg running to Hatteras and back.
Insert Ford Fusion NASCAR drafting joke here. I've only ever ridden along on that road. And pissed on the side of it eleventy times but hey, kid bladder + kid planning = pH watering the shoulder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're removing a traffic lane where Atlantic dead runs into A1A and the 'downtown' Atlantic/Neptune Beach thing. Putting a cement-divided bike lane in.

For what fucking purpose? Who the f--k wants to ride a bike down Atlantic? Cars everywhere, strip malls everywhere, and LOVELY tree-lined side streets in quiet neighborhood fucking galore a block to the North, and stretching for miles North and South. Nobody walks on the sidewalks on Atlantic now, nevermind when it's eleventy million degrees out. Traffic already backs up there, badly. Now there's one less lane?

This reminds me of when they put cement islands in alongside the road for who knows why. Now when the bus stops there, it directly blocks traffic instead of being out of the fucking way, and there's fewer parallel spots. But hey, there's a feature that you can't really skateboard that we have to pay for mulch and a sprinkler system or whatever plus decreased efficiency. Yay.

This is starting to really **** me off. There are probably some places around here where a dedicated bike lane would be great at least in theory. In practice, every dumb fucking broad and self-important fucking douchebag dude ABSOLUTELY HAS TO RIDE ABREAST AT ALL FUCKING TIMES and if you try to make any kind of time around these people on your bike, you invariably almost get into a wreck because they have nothing better to do than day drink and ride their beach cruiser slower than snails ooze uphill in this meandering fucking wobble pattern.

I finally got my trail bike to Hanna Park. Had a complete blast and enjoyed the sh!t out of it. Took a shitty line towards a bridge and aborted. A guy was gaining on me, called out, and I quickly shuffled off the line as he crested the little bump leading to the bridge and rolled over. He sounded shocked, completely shocked, that someone just GTFO the way. Said thanks like I'd given his labradoodle lifesaving CPR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe PRCD the tradcon clown could be an ally. I support women's suffrage and directly electing senators, but maybe a hereditary Constitutional Monarchy is the way, provided everywhere I go there's rando guard changings and dudes in bearskin shouting at people and ceremoniously tossing them out of the way while shouting at them to fucking beat it.

I already live in a pod and spare me the exoskeletony bits between the teeth and I'll eat the bugs willingly. But we're driving for surf when it sucks here and I'm not going 2mph on some goddamn grannybike with 20 pounds of fenders and baskets and a fucking homeless guy who needs a ride on the pegs.

"Look at me. I'm going slow as f--k down 1st street. I have a one speed bike with a goddamn granny seat. WEEE. Oh look, some skateboarders, e-bikers, stunt bikers, harley people, and cars. Let's see how many of them we can get into their way and blockade in the course of denominating least commonly. WEEEE"

I don't think much of having to drive my car behind these retards in Tundras and F150s going slow as sh!t in the passing lane. Five minutes around other cyclists, and the grilles aren't high/hard enough. Make 'em 8000 pounds with spiked kangaroo bars mandatory OEM/Factory, and have self-enclosed murder hornet colonies behind thin glass that breaks upon impact with idiot pedestrian/cyclists. Then go kook plough the roads so I can fredsled without almost having to lay 'er down because Jizzbrain McSundress and her basic bitch squad are going eightwide downa straight.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Ifallalot and rice

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Omg they suck. No pick up. Dangerous. No wonder other drivers hate them. Daughter used to have one of them.

Prius has no pick up? It feels like a sports car compared to my Vanagon Westfalia. :roflmao:

re- EPA mpg estimates. I think those are based on driving the speed limit. Who drives the speed limit?