Gary McNeill Entity vs RTT

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Why does a board need to 'fit' in a quiver?
Do you buy purely for function, in a quiver, over say buying a board that provides different feedback / sensation when surfed?

I get that selling for financial reasons and buying something else that gets surfed more often, thereby getting rid of perceived superfluity in a quiver, but definitely not because it's 'in between' other boards.

Reactions: Aruka

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Very nice! I have a RTT on its way, and I'm already looking into maybe getting an Entity pin as a step up for that upcoming trip I quizzed you about.
Nice. I had a 5'9 Entity Pin with a quad setup and a Torus channel. It was perfect in the pocket, and held its line really well in some of that Indo juice.

First twinny with futures though, what does everyone reckon for fins these days?
After a first session on my RTT with some Sea Shepards, I swapped them out for Akila Aipas and have never changed them for the last 3 years. Get some of them if you can find them!

Reactions: waxfoot

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I can't remember if I posted this a year or two ago, but whatever...It's a good read for those who are interested:

Torus Channel

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Nice. I had a 5'9 Entity Pin with a quad setup and a Torus channel. It was perfect in the pocket, and held its line really well in some of that Indo juice.
Excited! I think I'm going to go big on it, with a 6.6, 19 3/8 and 2 1/2. How's the fishy outline paddings and taking some steeper drops?

My wife emailed Gary last night (she bought it as my 40th birthday prezzie), as the board's now past the 6 week mark after paying the deposit (and since been paid in full). Not too bothered, but I'm getting a little over-frothing.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Why does a board need to 'fit' in a quiver?
Do you buy purely for function, in a quiver, over say buying a board that provides different feedback / sensation when surfed?

I get that selling for financial reasons and buying something else that gets surfed more often, thereby getting rid of perceived superfluity in a quiver, but definitely not because it's 'in between' other boards.
Absolutely. Back when i sold the board in 2016 - i was buying boards purely for function in a quiver because space on the racks was tight and cash was tight. I thought the CV2 would be a daily driver - but it most ways, it was a good wave board and at 5'6 - stroking into overhead reef waves wasn't my cup of tea. I prefer longer boards for those types of waves. In the end - i was generally picking up something else to surf. Now that my quiver is sorted, i could totally get another CV2 and surf it on the odd occasion when the surf is just right or i feel like riding a quad. That said, i liked the entity better - now that is an all rounder.

Reactions: waxfoot and Aruka

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Excited! I think I'm going to go big on it, with a 6.6, 19 3/8 and 2 1/2. How's the fishy outline paddings and taking some steeper drops?

My wife emailed Gary last night (she bought it as my 40th birthday prezzie), as the board's now past the 6 week mark after paying the deposit (and since been paid in full). Not too bothered, but I'm getting a little over-frothing.
I liked the wide point up front on my Entity Pin. It was only a 5'9, but paddled well. Worked really well in Indo and stuck most of the drops. Since then I've had a Hydronaut, and I gotta say that thing is next level for Indo. It's makes late-drops on automatic.

I had a similar experience with my first batch. Thought about sending an email asking for a tracking number or something, but before I got around to doing so the boards got dropped at my door. My guess is you'll be getting a surprise ring on the door pretty soon. I think Gary likes to surprise you...

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Seems you and I have similar tastes @Goodfish , as I was also looking at a Hydronaut... but I've gone off Firewire a bit of late. The yellowing really does bother me (i know it shouldn;t, but it does) as well as some feedback on the construction.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Seems you and I have similar tastes @Goodfish , as I was also looking at a Hydronaut... but I've gone off Firewire a bit of late. The yellowing really does bother me (i know it shouldn;t, but it does) as well as some feedback on the construction.
Me too. I haven't had a FW in 4 years. My Hydronaut is in XTR. That's some of the best construction out there.