Gary Mcneil Torus

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Humm i dont know about that, but in this case the difference was not acceptable, i sincerely doubt he made that one himself because it was impossible not to see it or he didnt bother making a new one. Channel on the right side of the board was way deeper than the left side and channel starting point way before as well. But anyway like i said he was happy to make a new one at the end, but i didnt enjoy the conmunication process and that i has to pay for transport. I was worried to ask him questions and he would never reply to my questions in details, no more than 2 3 lines of email
you seem to have a lot of issues with boards and shapers. you should just quit surfing to eliminate this stress from your life. out of the kindness of my heart, i will take your boards off your hands if you pay the shipping and for any damage incurred during the process.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and Bman76

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
you seem to have a lot of issues with boards and shapers. you should just quit surfing to eliminate this stress from your life. out of the kindness of my heart, i will take your boards off your hands if you pay the shipping and for any damage incurred during the process.

Haha I d rather say that I m not a customer who accepts anything and everything, when I believe something is wrong I speak up, I m working hard to pay for those boards which cost a lot and I have expectations regarding quality.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
I got a Mini Pip about 6 months ago. Hands down the fastest small wave board I’ve ever ridden. Took me a while to get used to the jet speed straight from take off. Sometimes I still struggle with too much speed and just sliding out when I get over ambitious. Have to say it’s the most fun I’ve had laying into walled up waves - so much glide to just so big figure 8s. It can be thrown around but favours more carvey based horizontal surfing at high speeds.

got Gary’s fins with it and haven’t needed to change them out.

Reactions: Mat6920

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
this little stick looks super fun indeed, happy you like it ! his board definitely offers a different feel and speeeeed. Benefit of twins and quad !

Oct 2, 2019
I've got an RTT and i froth it. Took a little getting used to, i really struggled on steep backside drops to begin with but now i seem to make them alot more. It's a really fun board and the price is good.
Gary bloody sucks to communicate with, he doesn't come across stoked. I asked for a real light blue and got a darker blue but whatever board rips and that's what counts.
I run needessentials uprights in it, been looking for some keels for it but don't wanna drop $180 AUD on rasta keels, hope i can find something else.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
I love my RTT. Didn’t have any problems with Gary, but I dealt mostly with his American rep. Gary did give me a couple of options size-wise which I appreciated. US boards are cut and finished at the Lab in OSide and they did a fantastic job. So factor that into your decision : If you’re in CA, you’ll likely have the same experience and the guys at the Lab are pros.

Reactions: retodd

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
I forgot to answer your actual question. I like the mccallum fins best. I tried Rasta keels, AMTs, and McNeill’s twin set.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I got a Mini Pip about 6 months ago. Hands down the fastest small wave board I’ve ever ridden. Took me a while to get used to the jet speed straight from take off. Sometimes I still struggle with too much speed and just sliding out when I get over ambitious. Have to say it’s the most fun I’ve had laying into walled up waves - so much glide to just so big figure 8s. It can be thrown around but favours more carvey based horizontal surfing at high speeds.

got Gary’s fins with it and haven’t needed to change them out.
Tomay, can you tell more about your Mini Pip? Your weight, board dims, tech? I see lot of random dims out there for that model and I can't make sense of it. Also, when you say "Gary's fins", which ones are you referring to? I can't find anything online. Thanks.

Oct 2, 2019
Tomay, can you tell more about your Mini Pip? Your weight, board dims, tech? I see lot of random dims out there for that model and I can't make sense of it. Also, when you say "Gary's fins", which ones are you referring to? I can't find anything online. Thanks.
Gary has an upright fin made by True Ames

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
I love my RTT. Didn’t have any problems with Gary, but I dealt mostly with his American rep. Gary did give me a couple of options size-wise which I appreciated. US boards are cut and finished at the Lab in OSide and they did a fantastic job. So factor that into your decision : If you’re in CA, you’ll likely have the same experience and the guys at the Lab are pros.
same experience for me, order to pick up in like 6 weeks, came out perfect no problems at all, never ever talked with Gary, never needed to

Reactions: retodd and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I got a board from Gary at the Board Room several years back. He's a rad guy. Super down to earth. And he's the type of craftsman you can feel good about supporting.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks. Yeah, I found those after digging deep into the interwebs. Interesting that his fins are not listed on the True Ames site.
True Ames only makes them for McNeill. They will not sell the fins directly to the public.

Reactions: csarqui

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Weight: 75-78kg
Height: 6'1

I emailed Gary and told him what i want the board for, he said I could do anything from 5'3 to 5'8 at 20 1/2 and 2 7/16. I went with a 5'5, in hindsight a 5'7 might have been a bit better for some extra rail line and paddle power in super small stuff. It absolutely flies. Had it out yesterday in walled up head high beachies and just flew around sections hooking into nice big cutbacks. It does like to be surfed horizontally due to its speed but can be thrown around more than I was expecting.

I believe he is also making the Pip in step up and mid length versions which is where the confusion might come in. I was told its designed for knee to shoulder high waves though I have found it can handle bigger waves no problem. It doesn't like late drops much though.

Gary does fins through Tru Ames - they are awesome. Pretty sharp, i've cut my foot on them twice now but seems ideal for the board.

If there's anything else you need to know I can try.

Best to email Gary with what you're after, what ideas you have and leave it mostly up to him.

Attachments

Reactions: waxfoot

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
Weight: 75-78kg
Height: 6'1

I emailed Gary and told him what i want the board for, he said I could do anything from 5'3 to 5'8 at 20 1/2 and 2 7/16. I went with a 5'5, in hindsight a 5'7 might have been a bit better for some extra rail line and paddle power in super small stuff. It absolutely flies. Had it out yesterday in walled up head high beachies and just flew around sections hooking into nice big cutbacks. It does like to be surfed horizontally due to its speed but can be thrown around more than I was expecting.

I believe he is also making the Pip in step up and mid length versions which is where the confusion might come in. I was told its designed for knee to shoulder high waves though I have found it can handle bigger waves no problem. It doesn't like late drops much though.

Gary does fins through Tru Ames - they are awesome. Pretty sharp, i've cut my foot on them twice now but seems ideal for the board.

If there's anything else you need to know I can try.

Best to email Gary with what you're after, what ideas you have and leave it mostly up to him.
That's a sweet looking board. Looks like an OG Rocket or White Diamond genre, but a twin fin with a channel. That's my kind of thing for sure.

The confusion. When I search for "mcneill mini pip", there's a 5'2” x 21" x 3" - 34.19L and a 5'0” x 21" x 3" - 32.75L. Those seem like really strange dims to me. The dims on your board make a lot of sense and it's good hear what's working for you. There's a 5'5" x 19 3/4" x 2 3/8" a shop nearby that I think I'll go check out. Although, they're asking like $900 for it. I don't get it, but it might be worth a conversation to see if they're flexible on the price.

Thanks for the info.