Garage Shaping Bays

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Looking for some help here on my particular situation, and would love to see erBBers' home shaping bays.

My sitch:
We need more storage, and I want a workshop / shaping bay. Idea is to build a wall that cuts my garage in half. Inner side is storage, laundry. Outer side would be workspace for shaping.

Questions:
  • What approach should I take in terms of hiring help on this project? Would a contractor touch this? Or would I need a handyman who can do this below board?
  • I want to DIY the framing, but I need help on the drywall, and I don't want to demo anything until I get someone to advise. Any advice?
  • Any big things I'm missing?
01 Empty garage.png02 empty with wall frame concept.png

03 Frame view from corner.png04 view of top stock.png05 Attic.png

Reactions: PRCD

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Looks like a reasonable plan. Drywall isn't any harder than framing the wall, only requiring some basic hard tools to work with (for the new wall). YouTube has a video on anything you may run into. Planning on installing a prehung door or pulling electrical in the new walls? I epoxied some "nutsert" into the slab so I can remove my shaping stands. Sealing off that "loft" necessary for fire rating? Was it rated before you did the demo? Single sheet of 5/8" gets you a 2hr rating, properly installed. I'll take it for granted you're not willing to give up that storage space

Reactions: SixtyGrit and Aruka

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
watch a few youtubes on drywalling and u can do it

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So you’re obviously not putting cars in there. Why divide front/back and not side/side? I’m thinking about lighting. You can’t put anything permanent on garage door.

Drywall is easy except ceiling. Then it’s really a two man job.

Last photos are confusing. Why are you drywalling in the attic? And why is there roof framing under roof framing?

It’s also easy to extend a circuit to get power where you want it. Are you planning on getting permits? I don’t think what you want to do is permissible.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
One thought I have is that a shaping bay and a workshop don't really coexist that well in my experience. Foam dust gets everywhere. Also setting up proper side lighting is easier in a smaller space, I think.

Are you trying to have a permanent shaping bay or is it more of an occasional thing?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Using a planer way way way harder than putting a few nails in some drywall.

If you have a shaping bay in the garage and have a wife, one way or another, the dust is surely gonna shorten your life.
What I was gonna say. If you can't handle the bay, the shaping is prolly out of reach also.

Park the car in there

Reactions: sdsrfr

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hard to tell due to fisheye, but it looks like a pretty big garage. I would just construct a free standing box, approx 12 feet by 10 feet, light proof, sound proof and dust proof ( filter your exhaust ventilation). If somehow code enforcement gets wind of it, you can demo it in a day.

ps I can tell you already shape because I spotted the Pleskunas…

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Mine was more of a temp solution in a rental at the time. I sectioned off an area of the garage with heavy tarp to the ceiling to contain dust and hung a couple of side lights down. Worked well and was easy to pull down when we decided to move. If I was doing something more permanent I think I'd rather just have a tiny shed in the back dedicated to it if possible. Like others mentioned, foam dust tracks everywhere when just walking in/out and around.

1685898508381.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 keep the garage a garage. maybe redo the built ins to give yourself a wall for dedicated board rack and maybe a workbench and call it a day.

I persobally love the look of a finished 2 car garage with single car use.

speaking of freestanding simple shaping bay/workshops, anyone make handy of a prefab shed and go to town on the interior?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
simple and easy to break down. I scrub several boards a year in my space. Unless you plan on buying all the tools you need and ruin a dozen or so blanks, download Shape3d. Get some rideable boards in a reasonable number of attempts
1685911634661.jpeg

• Love

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Great tips folks. Couple notes:
1. @One-Off I need to bring the house back up to fire code - 5/8in drywall between garage and attic, which i broke when I decided I needed the rafters for top stock. Also, I've done enough drywalling to know that building the wall will involve demoing drywall, which means I don't know how much to demo, which means I need someone who knows how to drywall properly.

2. @surfwhere @Senor Sopa I've done a bit of shaping before, and I'm down to break housing code, just not fire code. Worst case, I have to demo the middle wall, and I don't see any reason for me to get the house inspected any time soon... Am I missing something about how this is enforced? All the regs I can find about garages apply to ADUs, which this is not.

3. @casa_mugrienta @Aruka I like shaping a lot. Done 5 or 6 boards myself, and was mostly just frustrated with suboptimal space, and lack of proper dust collection. I want this to be permanent, and really get it dialed. Also, I love my own tools / setup.

In general, I could be talked out of it, but that greenhouse / temp room thing doesn't sit well with me, and doesn't get us any additional storage. Is this a big risk to build this wall without a permit @casa_mugrienta @One-Off ? I'm tucked away in a cul-de-sac in Carlsbad.

Also, I have a separate shed on the side of the house for boards that I built recently:
PXL_20230604_221602098.jpg

My last setup:
IMG_20200118_000432.jpg
IMG_20200430_203948.jpg

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Oh, one other thing - dividing the garage the other way via new wall runs into the actual garage door + motor... I'd love to be able to open my garage, otherwise, it's an egress / ventilation problem...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Great tips folks. Couple notes:
1. @One-Off I need to bring the house back up to fire code - 5/8in drywall between garage and attic, which i broke when I decided I needed the rafters for top stock. Also, I've done enough drywalling to know that building the wall will involve demoing drywall, which means I don't know how much to demo, which means I need someone who knows how to drywall properly.

2. @surfwhere @Senor Sopa I've done a bit of shaping before, and I'm down to break housing code, just not fire code. Worst case, I have to demo the middle wall, and I don't see any reason for me to get the house inspected any time soon... Am I missing something about how this is enforced? All the regs I can find about garages apply to ADUs, which this is not.

3. @casa_mugrienta @Aruka I like shaping a lot. Done 5 or 6 boards myself, and was mostly just frustrated with suboptimal space, and lack of proper dust collection. I want this to be permanent, and really get it dialed. Also, I love my own tools / setup.

In general, I could be talked out of it, but that greenhouse / temp room thing doesn't sit well with me, and doesn't get us any additional storage. Is this a big risk to build this wall without a permit @casa_mugrienta @One-Off ? I'm tucked away in a cul-de-sac in Carlsbad.

Also, I have a separate shed on the side of the house for boards that I built recently:
View attachment 155603

My last setup:
View attachment 155601
View attachment 155602
I don't live in C-bad, but in most places dividing a garage with a wall attracts attention at sale in the same way converting a garage into a bedroom or building an unpermitted ADU does - they're 100% obvious major changes to the home that someone - either you or your heirs - will be dealing with down the line at sale time. Meaning you will possibly either be paying the permit fees then/late or be losing money on the deal because the buyer asks to drop the permit fees from the sale price.

Also if anyone ever rents the place and someone is injured because of unpermitted work be ready for another sort of headache. A new wall in a garage is something I personally would want to have permitted so I can no for sure I'm not going to liable when my tenant's girlfriend pulls into the garage, taps the wall, and it collapses on her boyfriend on the other side. Yes, personal injury lawsuits for work unpermitted/not up to code are a real thing. Don't ask me how I know.:toilet:

Last edited:
  • Wow

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I don't live in C-bad, but in most places dividing a garage with a wall attracts attention at sale in the same way converting a garage into a bedroom or building an unpermitted ADU does - they're 100% obvious major changes to the home that someone - either you or your heirs - will be dealing with down the line at sale time. Meaning you will possibly either be paying the permit fees then/late or be losing money on the deal because the buyer asks to drop the permit fees from the sale price.

Also if anyone ever rents the place and someone is injured because of unpermitted work be ready for another sort of headache. A new wall in a garage is something I personally would want to have permitted so I can no for sure I'm not going to liable when my tenant's girlfriend pulls into the garage, taps the wall, and it collapses on her boyfriend on the other side. Yes, personal injury lawsuits for work unpermitted/not up to code are a real thing. Don't ask me how I know.:toilet:
Seriously, thanks for the help here.

The unpermitted wall liability thing would fvcking **** me off if I got sued. I just moved in like 1.5 years ago, so I don't think I'm going to sell any time soon, barring very unforeseen circumstances.