Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1 Camaraderie
2 Parties
3 Cheaper housing (?)
GDI myself. From my experience at Florida

Networking - getting your first "real" job in your actual field isn't necessarily easy. Fraternities seemed to be full of kids with wealthy/connected parents.

Networking - I'd estimate 85% of the chicks over a 6 were in sororities. It was pretty rare to see one at a random GDI party - generally that was Game Day only, just before or just after the game, when the party you were at was a useful place for them to stop by. It was even more rare to see one over a 6 in public by themselves not talking on their cell phone, unless they were jogging or eating. It was a signal of social status I guess. One year I decided I was going to put in work and just crunch numbers. I had some way out of my league girls be surprisingly friendly when I asked if I could join them when they were eating by themselves, but cold-opening groups was basically rejection batting practice for them, which was a far cry from anything I saw in high school or post-college, when approaching a group ALWAYS seemed to earn you respect. Even if they weren't into you at all, they were happy to get the ego fluff from you shooting your shot.

I think it might be on the decline. Last time I went to a game it was a different world from 20 years ago. Used to be the sorority girls would be in one big group, or smaller groups. They were all dressed in the same theme, from short-ish shorts and some kind of shirt/top for hot weather, or dresses if specific reason, or jeans and their sorority windbreakers for say a November night game.

Now they're all wearing Coachella/festival sh!t, and it's all pairs, like Sith/Jedi. A 4-6 and a 7-9 looking for places to take instagram pictures.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
GDI myself. From my experience at Florida

Networking - getting your first "real" job in your actual field isn't necessarily easy. Fraternities seemed to be full of kids with wealthy/connected parents.

Networking - I'd estimate 85% of the chicks over a 6 were in sororities. It was pretty rare to see one at a random GDI party - generally that was Game Day only, just before or just after the game, when the party you were at was a useful place for them to stop by. It was even more rare to see one over a 6 in public by themselves not talking on their cell phone, unless they were jogging or eating. It was a signal of social status I guess. One year I decided I was going to put in work and just crunch numbers. I had some way out of my league girls be surprisingly friendly when I asked if I could join them when they were eating by themselves, but cold-opening groups was basically rejection batting practice for them, which was a far cry from anything I saw in high school or post-college, when approaching a group ALWAYS seemed to earn you respect. Even if they weren't into you at all, they were happy to get the ego fluff from you shooting your shot.

I think it might be on the decline. Last time I went to a game it was a different world from 20 years ago. Used to be the sorority girls would be in one big group, or smaller groups. They were all dressed in the same theme, from short-ish shorts and some kind of shirt/top for hot weather, or dresses if specific reason, or jeans and their sorority windbreakers for say a November night game.

Now they're all wearing Coachella/festival sh!t, and it's all pairs, like Sith/Jedi. A 4-6 and a 7-9 looking for places to take instagram pictures.
what’s GDI?

Mr. Doof should’ve started with networking and building professional relationships, that’s the strongest argument in favor of these organizations.

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

• Haha
Reactions: hal9000

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Mr. Doof should’ve started with networking and building professional relationships, that’s the strongest argument in favor of these organizations.
It may just be the circles I operate within, but I've never known that my lack of Greek system connectionin keeping me from getting jobs, meeting people, etc., so I can't speak to this aspect (this coming from a person who moved from one state to another to get a job).

Do not doubt it can exist, just not impacting me as far as I am aware. Maybe best part of the connections would be possibility of learning about any openings.