Futures F8 Fins

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I have been using Roberts medium fins in my custom 6’3 Black Cobra for a few years now. I only pull out that board in waves of consequence, HH plus and with some juice. In really powerful waves its great and the board is magic at a couple of spots but when there is a little less power I seem to lack drive with that setup, even in pretty solid Well OH waves.
I’m thinking of moving to a slightly larger all around fin.
Has anyone had experience with the F8s(both thruster and quad)? Good or bad feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I’m 190 and use Roberts Large in a Meat Cleaver and a few other boards. I’ve found them to work great in a variety of conditions. Maybe try those?

There’s a number of guys around here that use his fins. Those using mediums weight quite a bit less.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I was riding the medium Roberts template in my good wave board, but switched to the Medium John Johns. They are a more versatile, all around fin. Plenty of fluidity, hold and drive, but with a tighter turning radius. I’m 175.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I have Roberts Large and F8 Large.

I wouldn't go from the Roberts to the F8 for drive. If I wanted to maybe sacrifice a little drive but have more pivot, that's F8 time for me.

When I want more drive than the Roberts, I put the Jordys in.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
The reason I went with mediums is that generally on other boards around that length I need to reduce fin area a touch or they are a bit "tight" as Noel Salas quotes. They were also the only Roberts 5 fin set and I tend to favour quads.
Maybe the AM2s are the way to go. Not sure if I want to jump from one extreme to the other immediately.The F8s seemed like an all around fin that would give more drive than the medium Roberts plus also maintain some pivot.
I think I'll try a few templates. Thanks to all.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Are the Roberts fins flat or inside foiled? I believe there were different versions of these... If they do have an inside foil, try a flat fin in better waves. And as others said, I think you should at least try 'large' fins.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Dave

The first Gen from fcs are flat foil and solid glass

First gen futures only in large. Honey comb and very slight inside foil with very nice leading edge
Second gen are generation series . Epoxy resin and carbon . Deeper inside foil . Great twang. But leading edge is less that desirable

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
For board and conditions desired the AM2 techflex set is the best bet

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
daave said:
Are the Roberts fins flat or inside foiled? I believe there were different versions of these... If they do have an inside foil, try a flat fin in better waves. And as others said, I think you should at least try 'large' fins.
Roberts rear set are 80/20 but I also have a flat foiled set, which I prefer.
The set are Roberts Generation medium(red)

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
stu dog said:
aldo1 said:
BTW, I am 5’11 and around 185lbs.
I've been using the F8's and I'm 6'2" & 220lbs. Might want to take a look at the F6's :shrug:
Yeah, but I am currently using the medium Roberts fins in that board but lack drive most of the time.
How do you find the F8s? What board do you use them in?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
aldo1 said:
stu dog said:
aldo1 said:
BTW, I am 5’11 and around 185lbs.
I've been using the F8's and I'm 6'2" & 220lbs. Might want to take a look at the F6's :shrug:
Yeah, but I am currently using the medium Roberts fins in that board but lack drive most of the time.
How do you find the F8s? What board do you use them in?
maybe it's the material. try the John John's they're very drivey. Have the JJ's Larges on my shortboard. very drivey. F8's on my step and they're drivey but stable compared to the JJ's on that board as they've got more flex. The Robert's look like they've got a lot of flex in them. personally I like that in bigger waves to give a more stable drive. People say go less flex, ie. closer to glass ons, in bigger waves. I like the opposite, those less flex in smaller to HH-ish waves. I'd say instead of sizing up to Larges consider to different flex of Mediums.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Agree on the material. I like fibreglass and/or glass ons in small/medium wave boards.
JJs look good as do the AM2s. I have some large F8s on the way.

It’s a great board in the right waves. I just have to fine tune the fin setup to give it a bit more range.
Thanks for all of the input.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
The large JJ's are a modified F8, longer base and depth with a thinner tip, slightly more sweep. More neutral than the AM2.