Future chats

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
So with surfermag cancelled, I wonder if they will shut down the forums? Hope not...this is one of 3 or 4 daily drivers to fill the foil obsession. This forum is the fave as it's the most reliably surf focused...the others mix in kite, sup, etc....and quite frankly get a bit kooky.

I guess the question will be if this makes them $$...as the owners won't likely care about community. And probably needs to make a fair bit to be saveable...my first foray into the general surfing discussion in a long time. I forgot what a cesspool it is. The politics and next level asshole-ry drove me off that forum 15 years ago. I can picture someone in a cubicle in a hedge fund's suburban office park with a big smile as they pull the plug.

I guess we just move to seabreeze or maybe foil feed gets moving.

Reactions: frenchfoiler

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Stay connected on Instagram is the best short term solution I guess?

Foilfeed seems pretty straight, can’t see it gaining much traction without some decent banter to put some fun into it.

We’re lucky kaser got this space with his forward thinking for us to use.

Reactions: Kaser1

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
surfer the magazine is going away? i would think theyd keep the online stuff, bet they get a ton of traffic

Jan 12, 2020
Foil feed is dead. The only real activity is on Seabreeze or the Standupzone.

I tried to help foilfeed get off the ground but it’s a ghost ship these days. Zone is horrible software for mobile but it’s got people and now dedicated forums for Prone foil, SUP foil, and Wing foiling.

But if you guys wanted to make someone’s day and take over foilfeed they’d be stoked. But with no ads I’m not sure how long they will want to pay the hosting bills.

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
Foil feed is dead. The only real activity is on Seabreeze or the Standupzone.

I tried to help foilfeed get off the ground but it’s a ghost ship these days. Zone is horrible software for mobile but it’s got people and now dedicated forums for Prone foil, SUP foil, and Wing foiling.

But if you guys wanted to make someone’s day and take over foilfeed they’d be stoked. But with no ads I’m not sure how long they will want to pay the hosting bills.
What's the best forum software for mobile you think?

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I am not a fan of foilfeed's software/layout...I find it does a poor job of driving traffic. Need to emphasize recent posts better. And ideally push notifications outside the site. But also: they have taken a small pie and divided it up too much, better to amalgamate all the topic areas into one big thread.

standupzone is becoming a biggie, though their prone foil section is still dead. They have some kinda bizarre issue where I cannot become a member no matter what I do. Another friend has had same problem, I think it must be due to Canada ... but I have to think there may be many others like me, that's a growth killer.

Web forums are kinda half dead anyway due to facebook and messenger ... buncha old guys that don't do smart phones or social media. (present company included ;-)

Anyways, I hope they keep surfer mag forum going ... this foil section is a small group but really great community.

Mar 20, 2019
I agree about Foilfeed's layout. Everything is too spread out, and it's hard to tell what topics are new, and what are a few months old...

I'll send Admin a message at Standupzone for you. You using same username? I've seen others from Canada (and europe) on there...

EDIT: Here's his response:
"No problem at all with Canada. Please have them register again using very obvious watersports names so we can easily separate them from spam registrations. They can change their display names after they are in."

Last edited:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
We’re lucky kaser got this space with his forward thinking for us to use.
It took alot of foil posting in the main forum and begging admin to create a foil section til they got sick of me and caved in.

I think they've got too much content and community to just flip off the switch here.

Reactions: sozzle

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
New foil forum is being talked about by lafc guys.

San Diego guys. Grendel and all. Is there an active sdfc? Any interest in a foil meetup with dumb foil contests?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Surfdocsteve talked about hosting one, but never got around to it.

Always glad to meetup, San O is ideal but harder to get in the gate on a weekend than get a wave to yourself these days.

I'm gonna migrate over here https://erbb.forumotion.com/ when/if this place get the plug pulled.

Reactions: Hdip

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Surfdocsteve is in the LAFC whatsapp thread currently so if anything comes of it you guys will know about it I'm sure.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Have one loaded and ready to go. Just doing some final testing / configurations. Will post the link at this thread when it goes live. ...and YES it already has a Foil Surfing forum. :)

I agree, they might not pull the plug on this one, but its good to have a backup... let alone no ads, and not tied to a commercial entity.