Funky Monkey or WRSC?

Jul 20, 2005
Sorry.. I'm sure questions like this come up a lot, but I'd really appreciate some advice.. Planning a trip to CR in early August (really soon) and I just can't decide where to go, either the Azul Surf Camp near Mal Pais (lodging at the Funky Monkey) or the Witch's Rock Surf Camp (where I can only get a reservation at one of the partner hotels a few minutes from the beach). I've never surfed before so I want to go to a camp to learn. Can't decide which would be the better move, as I've heard great things about the WRSC but also have a friend who loves Mal Pais/Santa Teresa b/c it's so quiet and beautiful, whereas at WRSC I'd have to stay at a hotel that is in town and not quite as low key. I'd really appreciate some insight from someone who has been to either of those places.. Thanks!!!

Oh, and I'm also a little concerned about the fact that it's the green season, but I think I'm just gonna go anyways.

Jul 19, 2005
In my opinion as a beginner surfer you will enjoy the program and style of WRSC. Tamarindo is a larger town with more options for the first timers too. Try Cabinas Marielos if others are booked, its just down the road from WRSC and has great cabins with AC for $30US and across the beach. Personally, my favorite beach in CR is Playa Nosara and surrounding areas. The old surf legend Corky Carroll has a surf camp down there, i believe its surfcamp.net but its completely isolated and not too much to do other than surf. Good luck, Pura Vida!

Jul 19, 2005
my bad, its surfschool.net. Also, both Mal Pais and Tamarindo are laid back towns, it depends on the time of year and what things you want during your trip.
The green season is just fine too, its hot, humid and will rain an hour or so in the afternoons but its the tropics, enjoy the change of scenery.

Jul 20, 2005
San Diego
DanS, I stayed at the Funky Monkey in Mal Pais in May of '03...we scored some great waves at the beachbreak directly in front of the cabanas. I mean super fun! To top it off, Gabby, the owner's wife/hostess is smoking hot and really cool.

I hate Tamarindo because of the crowds and the lack of surf...you can drive around and find waves at Negra, Avellanes, or take a boat to Witches, but I would go with the Monkey. Either way, I'm jealous.

Jul 20, 2005
Thanks for the input. Buckets, did you do the surf camp at Funky Monkey? or just stayed there and surfed? It seems like its a nice place in a beautiful spot. Anything else you can tell me about it? I appreciate it, Thanks.

Jul 20, 2005
San Diego
I just stayed there and surfed the beachbreak in front of the cabanas the whole time. For a beginner, I think it would be a good idea to do the surf camp thing for many reasons.

If you're planning on driving to Mal Pais, be prepared for a gnarly drive. We were crawling over rocks and beaches and tree trunks in our little Rav4. Apparently you can ferry in from the Nicoya peninsula too, which sounds easier.

Mal Pais is one of my favorite places in Costa, and I've been up and down pretty much the whole west coast.

Jun 6, 2005
NJ
Funky Monkey looks cool. I'll be in Mal Pais early Sept staying at Tropico Latino. I've read some good things about it. Anyone else been there?