Functional Training

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Discussion with Bret Contreras and Brad Schoenfeld:

Brad's 2010 ASCM article on the topic, referenced in the interview:

There seem to be several ditches you can fall into. The first is believing that machines, cable exercises, and single leg exercises are worthless because they're not barbell squats. How do you watch a sprinter and say they shouldn't be lunging or split-squatting?
1600444109435.png

How you you watch someone swing a tennis racket and say rotational exercises are worthless?

How do you say this tubing exercise is worthless for an offensive lineman?

The second ditch seems to be demonstrated by these functional gurus who simply aren't strong or buff. This ditch is described perfectly here:

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Discussion with Bret Contreras and Brad Schoenfeld:

Brad's 2010 ASCM article on the topic, referenced in the interview:

There seem to be several ditches you can fall into. The first is believing that machines, cable exercises, and single leg exercises are worthless because they're not barbell squats. How do you watch a sprinter and say they shouldn't be lunging or split-squatting?
View attachment 97951

How you you watch someone swing a tennis racket and say rotational exercises are worthless?

How do you say this tubing exercise is worthless for an offensive lineman?

The second ditch seems to be demonstrated by these functional gurus who simply aren't strong or buff. This ditch is described perfectly here:
Always liked Contreras. Glutes = power.
Dude comes to me and says I grapple and I want to be able to rag doll people. Me: eventually we are gonna end up using sandbags once we’ve addressed any possible deficiencies. You want to be good at throwing heavy sh!t around (people), at some point IMO you’re gonna want to/have to train by throwing heavy sh!t around (sandbags).

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Always liked Contreras. Glutes = power.
Dude comes to me and says I grapple and I want to be able to rag doll people. Me: eventually we are gonna end up using sandbags once we’ve addressed any possible deficiencies. You want to be good at throwing heavy sh!t around (people), at some point IMO you’re gonna want to/have to train by throwing heavy sh!t around (sandbags).
as stated before one of our coaches plateaued in bjj and started the compound lifts. fast forward couple years and he has a 405+ deadlift and black belt under the mendes bros.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
as stated before one of our coaches plateaued in bjj and started the compound lifts. fast forward couple years and he has a 405+ deadlift and black belt under the mendes bros.
And to take it to the next level I’d (Dan John) would suggest some form of loaded carries and I’d argue for the inclusion of weighted throws or any other movement uniquely pertinent to the sport aka specificity. You can plateau in weight training too. At this point how will any improvement in his DL etc help him as an athlete?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Would you say that his black belt is the result of better technique or simply being stronger and able to beat guys with strength or a combination of both? I found I could easily manhandle all the brown belts at this judo place I trained at even though I had about 6 weeks of training. But I wanted to learn technique so I had to dial back the strength.

We had a friend who became an LA County sherriff. They start you off in the jail where you have to manhandle uncooperative prisoners. He was a weakling, so we got him stronger in the big three. Within about two months he could easily move prisoners and even hurt them with just his grip if he wanted. His grappling skills magically improved with more strength. Amazing!

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
u cannot get a black belt in bjj just on strength alone. but it obvs complimented his training
No doubt. No argument here either. But real training involves cycles (not roids lol) and there’s nothing that says after say an 8 week farm boy program you can’t go back to your regular training? Or use it as a supplement? You can’t just DL forever and expect the same results?

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
No doubt. No argument here either. But real training involves cycles (not roids lol) and there’s nothing that says after say an 8 week farm boy program you can’t go back to your regular training? Or use it as a supplement? You can’t just DL forever and expect the same results?

he didnt just dl. just usingbthat as an ex. his squatbwas 350.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
he didnt just dl. just usingbthat as an ex. his squatbwas 350.
And how long will that program continue to work? Forever?

“The loaded carry does more to expand athletic qualities than any other single thing I've attempted in my career as a coach and athlete. And I do not say that lightly.”
Dan John

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
they switch to int or adv programming once they reach that level.

“It is imperative you get around other like-minded, hard-working people to fuel your fire. Do NOT allow “common folk” to bring you down to thinking of this type of training, this type of living, is strange. NO. We are normal. “They” are wrong.”
Proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
they switch to int or adv programming once they reach that level.
Honestly IDGAF but here it is in as plain English as possible. I trained BJJ (before anyone lol) and Judo enough to at least know the demands of the sport of grappling. So let’s say I was a Black Belt just like your bro. Same size and age, etc. I’d be training a lot of farm boy and using other tools to address any deficits as needed. And if you gave me the choice between competing against your dog or someone who else who trained like me? I’d pick him every time if I really wanted to try and ensure a win. I’d pick the farm boy if I wanted a challenge or felt I potentially needed a dose of humility.

But whatever do the same program forever with slight modifications and experience what economists refer to as diminishing returns. IDGAF

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Where did this “program” even come from? If I wanted a badass grappling specific S&C program I’d look to see what the most badass grapplers were doing for S&C.

What I really learned getting my CSCS didn’t have jack sh!t to do with program design, that’s the easy part. By the book.

Instead what it was really about was understanding the demands of any particular sport, assessing the needs of an individual athlete, and providing sport specific training.

I’d ask your friend two questions.
How’d you do last tournament and why do you think you only made it that far?
What’s your S&C weakness, that one thing you really would not want your opponent to know about you?

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
sorry, I phrased that poorly: where, who, when? I'm genuinely curious, not looking for a gotcha
I was totally being a dick for sure but you gave me an ez target lol. 1993 immediately following UFC 1, Nelson Monteiro’s garage then newly opened academy until the Sheik took him to AD.

Last edited:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
wow, that sounds burly! How long did you go? Apologies if you covered this elsewhere

pretty sure I read that Havoc trained at Rickson's place a while ago, though am also pretty sure I'd had a couple of IPAs and can't find that thread

edit: ah, the Martial Arts thread <facepalm>

Last edited: