Front traction?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I tried this for the first time today. Felt great IMO. Feels good while paddling and feels awesome underfoot while riding.

I wouldn't do this on all my boards but I feel like it's a nice addition on small wave shortboards. The board, in this case, was a 5'10 varial uber drive and I was actually hoping it would add a bit of weight.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I tried this for the first time today. Felt great IMO. Feels good while paddling and feels awesome underfoot while riding.

I wouldn't do this on all my boards but I feel like it's a nice addition on small wave shortboards. The board, in this case, was a 5'10 varial uber drive and I was actually hoping it would add a bit of weight.
Which front traction did you use?

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Hey guys,

I wondered how many of you are running front traction pads on your boards?

I’ve had a couple of mishaps with melted wax, the last couple of days, and am seriously considering throwing one on. I’m not gonna be punting any airs, anytime soon, so I’m wondering if it’s complete overkill?
Hey man, this might be the solution you are looking for. It’s like wax, but doesn’t really melt, and peels off when you are done, unlike a traction pad.

It’s bit pricey though.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I might stick the CI front, on my 'performance groveler' (apparently, that's a thing). I'd like to try the Octopus, but the cream looks ass, and my tailpad's white already, so black won;t do.

The board is the board I have with me 99% of the time, living in the back of my truck most often, and I'm getting tired of the Bukkake tears that form on the deck on even mildly warm days

(..yea thanks work for skimping out and not putting in shaded parking in the new office building's parking lot, you fuckwits)

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Yea, but my board already has a white tailpad, and the mismatch will bug me.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hey man, this might be the solution you are looking for. It’s like wax, but doesn’t really melt, and peels off when you are done, unlike a traction pad.

It’s bit pricey though.

This was the other brand I tried.

I liked it for about 15 surfs, but then it started getting slippery. It sucked on the 15th surf when you'd blow a couple of waves because of it.

Then you'd have to go home and put a new one on. Which sounds easy enough, but trimming it to fit and lining up 4 different pieces actually took longer than stripping and re-applying wax.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Have one of these creatures corduroy type front pad on a fish I used to keep in my truck. Nice and thin.
My chop hops have never been better.

Reactions: Aruka and jkb