Front traction?

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Hey guys,

I wondered how many of you are running front traction pads on your boards?

I’ve had a couple of mishaps with melted wax, the last couple of days, and am seriously considering throwing one on. I’m not gonna be punting any airs, anytime soon, so I’m wondering if it’s complete overkill?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i usually do, but i'd never buy one - stupidly overpriced
i hate wax

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Hey guys,

I wondered how many of you are running front traction pads on your boards?

I’ve had a couple of mishaps with melted wax, the last couple of days, and am seriously considering throwing one on. I’m not gonna be punting any airs, anytime soon, so I’m wondering if it’s complete overkill?
Works in cold and warm water - what's not to like?

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I tried the pro-lite front foot traction. I found it difficult to make small adjustments with my front foot, and slippery when paddling (wearing a wettie with a smoothskin panel).

I wanted to like it, but wax works better.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Rear ones, sure.

OP is looking for a wax substitute for the deck. I don’t recommend pro-lite for this. Perhaps other ones are better.

Apr 22, 2014
I’m curious if anyone has tried the clear adhesive grips out now ( XM, Versa, Hexa)?
I have used the XM clear traction ever since it came out. Love the stuff. Once you apply, use coarse sandpaper to rough it up a bit more.

Reactions: Chocki

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I was thinking of the octopus front traction (smooth corduroy?) I was kinda hoping it might make me surf like Chippa too, hahaha!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I tried it once a few years ago. Tore it off after one session. Felt like I was catching my bootie on it as I was popping up and then I couldn't adjust my foot as I was used to.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I’ve tried a bunch (versa, trac pad, some other one) and always end up going back to wax. Trac pads suck when you’re trunking it. Almost lost a nipple to a front trac pad once.

• Haha
Reactions: retodd and Havoc

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I move my front foot. Front traction always seemed to give me a bit of a problem with such.

But if you're going to do a front stomp pad, might as well complete the look with paddling gloves. You'll rule the shortboard pack and your wave count will climb.

Dec 23, 2018
Venice California
I’ve tried the ci corduroy front traction pad with the matching tail pad. First session felt a little weird getting used to the feeling. Booties didnt really help cause it causes too much traction. Barefoot started feeling really good once I got used to it. something noa deane said in a interview that got me to try in the first place was when he mentions riding a skateboard, its like having the same feeling under both feet

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I have used the XM clear traction ever since it came out. Love the stuff. Once you apply, use coarse sandpaper to rough it up a bit more.
Bought one of Kurt’s boards with this on it and dig it. Took to Mainland Mex last year with no issues. Would not want to put bare skin on it, but a rash guard or shirt is fine.
IMO, feels weird if you’re going bare/shirtless.
Plenty grippy when up and surfing.

Apr 22, 2014
Bought one of Kurt’s boards with this on it and dig it. Took to Mainland Mex last year with no issues. Would not want to put bare skin on it, but a rash guard or shirt is fine.
IMO, feels weird if you’re going bare/shirtless.
Plenty grippy when up and surfing.
Yep, it's much better suited for wearing a wetsuit or at least a rashguard. But the advantages outweigh those issues I think. Just grab your board and paddle out. No melting wax in the car or boardbag. Board and wetsuit stay clean. Just a different feel at first.