Front and back traction - no wax?

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I've got one board with front and back traction. I would never have done it voluntarily, but I picked it up used off gumtree...

Honestly, it feels fine. I still put a bit of wax between pads but not every session. No issues with rashes in boardies with a T-shirt. I reckon it would rip you up without a t-shirt though.

FWIW, it's a creatures pad - this one

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Anyone ever use something like this? I saw a guy at my local who had a long board with it. It seemed expensive. How many bars of wax do you think you use in a board's lifetime?

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Anyone ever use something like this? I saw a guy at my local who had a long board with it. It seemed expensive. How many bars of wax do you think you use in a board's lifetime?

Your post reminds me - I've got some pieces of that on the board I mentioned earlier. It is located just up from the tail pad for a distance of around 200mm or so (8"). It feels very rough, almost like grip-tape when surfing. I imagine that it would play havoc with your nipples if placed in your front foot area... unless you're Duffy.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I used some clear grip stuff for a minute in Santa Cruz. It gripped

I used this (or something very similar) for a minute in Santa Cruz. It's pretty slick against neoprene, IIRC, hard to maintain position while paddling out. Once up, it was great though. If the suit had rubber across the chest it was fine, but I had switched to Buell! suits and those did not work with the stuff.

Reactions: jkb