Free Landscaping Rocks

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
On vacation as a kid we pulled over some mountain road in the Appalachian, 20 rocks later Mom had a rock garden circle thing.
Stone and anything useful like that is prohibitively expense, so you end up giving a little extra thought to the features you might create, instead of haphazardly dispersal.
We're looking at options to reuse but the color tone contrast is tough to match up with the rest of the yard.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
How many of you actually own and operate mowers and edgers and shovels and rakes and brooms and dustpans?

I've been doing my own yard care since I was twelve and to be perfectly honest.. I'm sick of it.

I've been calling on Franco for the past few years to do a bi-annual tree clean up and now I'm sick of paying him too.

I can't wait to move into my townhouse so I don't have to do this crap anymore. I'm sure I've earned it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
We had to remove a large volcanic/pyroclastic rock from our yard for a project we have going on. To remove it, we had to break it into pieces (sorry Kento). View attachment 118588
Ahhh the vesicles. Get the right light, that's a Halloween rock.

Porphyritic andesite or tuff?

The place we bought, landscaping all lined up with a long rock wall of what appears to be a series of banded calcites. At first blush, looked like gneiss but there are geodes blown out of it so kinda negates that idea (I think?). Besides, hey, it's not Aruka's waterfall but quite a chill location to hang the ol' wetsuit and booties to dry out. Definitely beats the previous apartment balcony!

1635734989652.jpeg

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
How many of you actually own and operate mowers and edgers and shovels and rakes and brooms and dustpans?

I've been doing my own yard care since I was twelve and to be perfectly honest.. I'm sick of it.

I've been calling on Franco for the past few years to do a bi-annual tree clean up and now I'm sick of paying him too.

I can't wait to move into my townhouse so I don't have to do this crap anymore. I'm sure I've earned it.
#ustoo. 2.5 acres up here, half maintained with the tools. A bunch of palm trees so lots of pickup of palapas, etc. Spraying insecticides, pesticides and fertilizers. Gophers, raccoons, etc. The yard in town is larger than suburban OC home style. Full treatment. Thanks dios my wife is a hard worker.

Me, since 10. 2$ front back and weeding for neighbors. Funded my first surfboard. Second too.

Suffer pussy. Or up the tree. #notme. Imagine yourself sliding down 7mtrs of trimmed coco palm trunk. Think on it. Think wood chipper on your front. I’ve never seen anyone go more than a mt without bailing. Happy landings! $20usd (400 pesos)/tree. Mongo say money well spent.

Townhouse? GTFO. Not my BigWaveDave.:shameonyou: That place is golden. I knew the area. Days like your picture of the guy taking off behind the jetty and a bunch more.

Don’t get limp on me bro.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
2.5 acres? Damn and I complain about mil metros de terreno desertificado?!?!?! :roflmao:

And townhouse? Screw your townhouse! :cursing: I'm selling everything for a beach front condo with a view and no floors above me when I get tired of yardwork. :cheers:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Free is a great deal. We just had some boulders installed on a hill in our yard for terracing/erosion control. Rocks aren't cheap.
They are here. You can have all the FREE rocks/boulders you want at Romero creek bridge on East Valley Road in Montecito (2018 debris flow leftovers) You just have to supply your own excavator and dump truck.

Reactions: keenfish

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I am a strange cat. I like manual labor , always have. Quiets my busy mind.
Yardwork is relaxing for me.
I like doing projects but hate the weekly maintenance. As soon as the kids were old enough to run the mower and string trimmer I took on the role of supervisor and chief nit picker. Allowance was always earned in the NPSP household.

Reactions: santacruzin

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Ahhh the vesicles. Get the right light, that's a Halloween rock.

Porphyritic andesite or tuff?

The place we bought, landscaping all lined up with a long rock wall of what appears to be a series of banded calcites. At first blush, looked like gneiss but there are geodes blown out of it so kinda negates that idea (I think?). Besides, hey, it's not Aruka's waterfall but quite a chill location to hang the ol' wetsuit and booties to dry out. Definitely beats the previous apartment balcony!

View attachment 118629
Not sure but most likely porphyritic andesite. The original owner was an amateur geologist and supposedly found it somewhere near Bishop. I always assumed it was a pretty big bomb from an ancient eruption; but who knows...
That rock did make for a cool Halloween piece. We used to put fake candle lights in the nooks and crannies and the flickering looked pretty cool in the dark.
If it was grey in color like your wall, we'd be making a nice retaining wall out of the pieces. Unfortunately, the contrast is too great.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
no , they aren't. and boulders aren't either. bought big white boulders for either side of the driveway 10 years ago or so, each was about the size of an large ottoman...i seem to recall they were like $300-$400 each. plus delivery.

pro tip: when buying boulders for the garden, make sure you are there when they are delivered, for optimum angle and placement. otherwise, you will likely be stuck with whatever POV your wife selected, because once they are down and the delivery guy is gone, they are a bitch to move.
These weren't huge but they had to weigh about 200lbs each. Watching the guys move them around using and trucks and then toll them down the hill in place was impressive. Someone from the HOA saw and gave us a little bit of sh!t so we retroactively got the neighbors to sign the permission slips even though not one single house in the neighborhood could see them....we are on a hillside. The HOA drug their feet on letting us finish so my wife decided to dial into one of the HOA zoom meetings to inquire. Some **** on the board (who had us and a few neighbors threaten to sue the board a couple months ago over her obsession with closing an easement that has been there for 20 years) wasn't forthcoming enough with an answer so my wife told her we were considering turning the house into a methadone clinic. We got the letter a couple days letter that it was approved.

Last edited: