France/Spain/Portugal In Fall

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I've seen posts similar to this before, but figured it couldn't hurt to make my own. My fiance and I starting to plan our honeymoon for fall and the current plan is loosely to fly into Paris in the beginning of October, spend a few nights there, then head west via train to Hossegor. From there, rent something and drive (mostly) along the coast making our way to Faro, Portugal. We're looking to take 4-5 weeks.

So my questions are, is it worth renting the camper (seems like roughly 150 euro a day for a camper minimum). Should we just rent a car and pay for rooms instead? I understand there's a lot of tolls and gas is expensive, but we're willing to spend a bit of coin on this trip since it's our honeymoon. My fiance was in Faro last year and got really into the idea of renting a camper to explore the coast.

Definitely looking for any recommendations for food/sightseeing/etc.

I figured I would just bring my regular 4/3 and buy a board when we get to Hossegor. Any recommendations for shops with a good selection there?

Neither of us have been to these regions but they look pretty incredible.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Rooms were not too bad in Spain, although a camper would have been rad to have. You could mix it up. If you end up doing Spain I can throw a few recommendations. Found an absolute gem of a spot, probably more made for a situation like you and your wive's than the travelling vagabond I am. https://goo.gl/maps/1M2KtMb3Ne9fHXmL7 Great waves nearby as well. Link in my profile is from my trip this winter.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
A mix definitely sounds good. That b'n'b you linked look great, especially for the price! Really looking forward to exploring.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Weird. Also doing similar honeymoon thing beginning of October, even though we got married 4 years ago lol.
We're probably doing trains and airbnb's - Paris, Hossegor, Biarritz, Basque and then down to Nice possibly. Probably 2 weeks total.
I don't anticipate surfing a lot, so I'll be renting a board and suit if there's waves.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
you can live more comfortably renting an apartment and a car as opposed to a camper.
It depends what sort of trip you want to do.

stay in hossegor, then stay in Ericiera is my recomendation.

Hossegor has tons of good shops, especially in Seignosse area, but down by anglet, you'll find an even better selection.
4/3 will be good, mundacca gets pretty cold that time of year but if it's sunny, the water can be pretty warm in Hoss. I've trunked it there in November.
Portugal, the water is cooler but stays relatively consistent in it's temperature

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Thanks for the insights. Ericiera is definitely is on the list!

So far we're leaning towards a rental car because of cost and driving around town. The camper option only seems like it would be ideal for select portions of the trip.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Bringing this back up. It looks like we'll be in Hossegor and Peniche about a week before both of the WSL contests. Are they going to be total zoos?